Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whining up front (Compressor?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last couple of days when I go get in car, there is a whining noice from the front of the car.....went away after 20-30 minutes....however, when I got in car today, I not only had a whining up front but also a message that basically said, "unable to lower car, compressor not available.....

Question is: is this normal or something that needs service to look at.......I have only had car for 3 weeks......suspension is set "standard" and not set to sport driving....thanks in advance for help

Update to above post:

today I had the same noise along with an “Air suspension compressor unable to raise or lower the car”....this is the second time in four days...I have scheduled a service call but I am. wondering......

Does this have anything to do with parking in my driveway which is on a slight angle? Both of these incidents have happened while parked in front.....the first time, I was facing down hill and today I was facing up hill....

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
It sounds like the compressor needs service, and is probably working beyond its ability to stay level on the angled drive. The angle probably exacerbates whatever is going on but wouldn't have caused the actual problem.

Sounds like your air compressor is running constantly because it is unable to pressurize your air suspension system due to a leak. Leaks can happen in the air suspension, I doubt very much it has anything to do with parking angle. I have air suspension in my 2013 and park in my driveway all the time.

Sounds like your air compressor is running constantly because it is unable to pressurize your air suspension system due to a leak. Leaks can happen in the air suspension, I doubt very much it has anything to do with parking angle. I have air suspension in my 2013 and park in my driveway all the time.
I think your are correct...made mobile service reservation last night and this morning got email saying that I need to bring it in to the service center....becasue it is intermittent and has only happened 3 times, it may be one of those NFF and I’ll be sent on my way....byt they should be able to run a pressure check and see what going on

In the last couple of days when I go get in car, there is a whining noice from the front of the car.....went away after 20-30 minutes....however, when I got in car today, I not only had a whining up front but also a message that basically said, "unable to lower car, compressor not available.....

Question is: is this normal or something that needs service to look at.......I have only had car for 3 weeks......suspension is set "standard" and not set to sport driving....thanks in advance for help

you seen this thread? How I fixed my air suspension leak for $1.00