Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whispbar for 2nd Gen Pano

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JPUConn

Aug 11, 2014
CT
My 2013 received another 2nd gen retro fit this past week (happy me). This time replacing the pano with 2nd gen components due to some unresolved water leaks.

Before just trying to make it work with the whispbar kit I have used and risking damage. Do I need a different mounting bolt or attachment from Whispbar?

Pics of the new connectors:
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG

Tried the mounts that I have and they didn't fit.

After just a few minutes on the phone with a very helpful rep from yakima he directed me to the 930 fit kit box that I had on my garage shelf and that the earlier cars used the articulated mount and inside the box is a ~3' straight thread. back in business!

Do you know what year/timeframe the 2nd gen parts became standard? Looks like it may have changed over in 2015. I have a 2014 (P34xxx) and am looking for the 704 fit kit. At least that's what I think I need based on the fit guidance. Maybe that's the one you no longer need? Yakima has discontinued Whispbar and they're not making the mounts any more... I would be MORE than happy to take the older kit off your hands.

Do you know what year/timeframe the 2nd gen parts became standard? Looks like it may have changed over in 2015. I have a 2014 (P34xxx) and am looking for the 704 fit kit. At least that's what I think I need based on the fit guidance. Maybe that's the one you no longer need? Yakima has discontinued Whispbar and they're not making the mounts any more... I would be MORE than happy to take the older kit off your hands.

My whispbar setup came with the 930 kit that happened to have the hardware needed for the gen 1 and gen 2 mounts. (Better to be lucky than good) There are 4 toggle type bolts and 4 round head bolts for gen 1 because the gen 1 pano threaded component on the model s does not point straight up like the whispbar requires. The Gen 2 uses the same components in the fit kit but just switches the above threaded parts with a straight thread with a recessed Allen. If I were to send you the toggle bolts and round head bolts you'd still be missing most of the fit kit parts.

If you call Yakima customer support they were incredibly helpful and may be able to find a kit for you. (888) 925-4621 Extension 3

Pretty sure your car would have gen 1. To check quickly - If your flip covers over the screw holes in the roof pull down from the top you have the gen 2 style, up from the bottom and you have gen 1.

My whispbar setup came with the 930 kit that happened to have the hardware needed for the gen 1 and gen 2 mounts. (Better to be lucky than good) There are 4 toggle type bolts and 4 round head bolts for gen 1 because the gen 1 pano threaded component on the model s does not point straight up like the whispbar requires. The Gen 2 uses the same components in the fit kit but just switches the above threaded parts with a straight thread with a recessed Allen. If I were to send you the toggle bolts and round head bolts you'd still be missing most of the fit kit parts.

If you call Yakima customer support they were incredibly helpful and may be able to find a kit for you. (888) 925-4621 Extension 3

Pretty sure your car would have gen 1. To check quickly - If your flip covers over the screw holes in the roof pull down from the top you have the gen 2 style, up from the bottom and you have gen 1.

Thanks. I spoke to Yakima and they were helpful but suggested I try Australia (as did a local rack specialty shop)... :(