Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whispbar K704W Mounting Screw Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the old smart foot set but the mounting screws that came with it are too large for the holes in my 2014 S. I went to the hardware store and bought some M6 which screw in but super tight and then the M5's are way too slim and do not screw at all they just fall in. Any idea what size those screws are so I can get the right one?

TYSM!

The older style cars came with a small metal bracket that sort of bolts to those holes and then extends a different bolt that you then bolt to the anchor points. Here's a photo that illustrates what it is I'm (poorly) explaining:

Tesla-Model-S-Whispbar-Roof-Rack-Latch-Mount.jpg

The older style cars came with a small metal bracket that sort of bolts to those holes and then extends a different bolt that you then bolt to the anchor points. Here's a photo that illustrates what it is I'm (poorly) explaining:

Tesla-Model-S-Whispbar-Roof-Rack-Latch-Mount.jpg

yes I have that! But the actual bolt (the Allen one) that screws into the mount does not fit my cars hole. Almost as if it’s the wrong threading. I’m using an M6 size but when trying M5 it’s too small and does not screw at all. Do you know the size of yours?

yes I have that! But the actual bolt (the Allen one) that screws into the mount does not fit my cars hole. Almost as if it’s the wrong threading. I’m using an M6 size but when trying M5 it’s too small and does not screw at all. Do you know the size of yours?

mare you sure it’s threaded? Maybe it didn’t get threaded from the factory. Send pictures...

Gen 2 is indeed also covered in the link you sent. See picture, it is the setup on the right (pictures 7B/8B)

3D02E3B3-1C43-4126-A749-907491D66788.jpeg

If the picture you posted on post #7 is your car, it means you have gen2.
Although you car is 2014, I guess the previous owner got a gen 2 replacement.

Hence the confusion probably.

• Helpful
Reactions: incrediwoah
My roof rack bars came with both types of mounting hardware. I had to pick the correct type to match my car. This was for a pre D 2014 car. It is now used with my 2016 car. Both cars used the newer mount.

When the rack is not installed I fill the mounting holes with wheel bearing grease to keep them from rusting. It is thick enough that it stays where it is put.

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinP
Easiest way to tell is if your cover flip up from the outside or inside.

Outside: Version 1

Inside: Version 2

Also, if you go through a carwash and regularly have to put one down (usually driver's side) after you're done, it's probably v1. Version 2 covers are difficult to pop up when you want to use them.

My old roof rack bolts don't fit my newer Model S. The previous one had the slim bolts, but they are too slim for the bracket that's on there now (see attached pictures). Can I simply buy bigger bolts or do I need to purchase the whole hardware kit? And would anybody know the part # for something like this? Thank you.

Attachments

• TeslaRoofRack.jpg
    TeslaRoofRack.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 42
  • TeslaRoofRack2.jpg
    TeslaRoofRack2.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 49