Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whispbar length?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I have a 2013 tesla model s. I have the panoramic roof. Does anyone know what length bar I need? There's a few listed on Craigslist in my area and I was hoping to buy a used rack (~$250) and just buy adapters ($70). I'd rather not spend the $550 for a new one. Any help is appreciated.

I purchased a brand new tesla set from an owner who never used it off eBay about a month ago that included the bars and tesla specific mount kit for $380. The box says S37.

I can send you pics with a tape measure if needed, but unless your in an absolute rush just keep an eye on eBay and classifieds for a tesla set as they do pop up.

Here's one that I'm not affiliated with:
Whispbar Tesla Model S Roof Rack with Smartfoot Kit

Last edited:
You can go to Whispbar's site and find the two models that work with the Tesla. I had hoped my throughbar on my VW TDI Sportwagen would work w/ a new mount kit, but they are too short, as the Tesla is significantly wider than my VW.

With the Throughbar you need the S17 & K930W Fit Kit, or you can get the Flushbar S37 w/ the same fit kit. The Flushbar S37 is the same thing Tesla sells you but isn't Tesla branded so costs less. I'm likely getting one of these shortly after I pick up my Tesla as makes transporting bikes easier.

Oh worth mentioning for the 2013 Tesla you need the K704 fit kit, the 2016 needs the one I mentioned previously... seems they updated the mounting between the model years.

Quick note #2 : the change in rooftop config did not come with the new refresh (of what people seem to call the "2016 Tesla"). It was around April of 2015. My car was built in Feb 2015 and has the old roof.

A quick way to check which version of roof you have it to look at the distance between the attach point cover and the painted part of the roof.

This is the old roof
: the attach point and the cover are right up to the edge of white part of the car

I can't find a picture of the new roof but it's pretty easy to spot : the cover and attach point are farther away from the exterior of the car... aka more in the middle of the roof. So instead of being right up to the white part of that roof, there will be a gap (around 1in)