Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whispbar Roof Rack Installation: Current Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a Whispbar rack from Tesla. There is an installation video available on the Tesla website, and there is an instruction manual in the box.

The problem is that neither one is for the current iteration of the roof line. A call to support will result in referral to a service center. I emailed support with photographs and my question about the 3M tape, and was again referred to a service center. The problem is that no one knows anything about the rack unless they have installed one.

Adjustable Bar Length

Don't worry about the bar end settings, the video is way off. Just loosen the screw 10 rotations, as directed, then adjust it on the fly by holding it up over the bolts you inserted in the roof. Make sure you place the washer with the tang, on the bolt first. This will show you the spacing required for the bar ends. Don't try to force anything. If the rack won't seat easily, you have the ends in the wrong slots. These are small bolts and washers on which you are placing a long rack. The fulcrum effect will allow you to bend or break something if you are ham-fisted.

3M Tape

The tape is not the length of the mount which sits on it. This is mysterious knowledge kept in area 51 so, buy some more tape or live with it.

- On the medial (inner) side of the roof, the tape is placed along the edge of the mounting slot.
- On the distal (outer) side, the tape is placed on the painted surface of the roof frame, not the plastic piece. See photo.
Rack_Car.jpg

This is how the Tesla service center installs the tape. Supposedly, to protect the paint from the boot, not the actual mount. The mount will sit directly on the plastic piece between the slot and the painted surface. The service center in Seattle claims that they have been able to buff this plastic if it gets marred.

I think I will buy some more 3M tape to put on the plastic piece. The service center doesn't know if the rack will scratch this or not because, people just leave the racks on.

I did get a loaner vehicle recently which showed signs of having a roof rack at some point. Nothing was scratched. The 3M tape was there but, someone had been rough with the little doors that cover the mounts.

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum
I installed one on my Dec 2016 MS this past spring. I had the same problem none of the guides or instructions match the current roof. I contacted Tesla and they sent out a ranger to verify it was installed okay or do it themselves. I was clear I didn't want to mark up my roof because I couldn't get a clear how-to with updated info. He said with the new smaller top doors the tape is not needed. I plan on taking off the rack for winter probably this week or today. We'll see then if the advice was good.

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum
I installed one on my Dec 2016 MS this past spring. I had the same problem none of the guides or instructions match the current roof. I contacted Tesla and they sent out a ranger to verify it was installed okay or do it themselves. I was clear I didn't want to mark up my roof because I couldn't get a clear how-to with updated info. He said with the new smaller top doors the tape is not needed. I plan on taking off the rack for winter probably this week or today. We'll see then if the advice was good.

I don't think I understand the ranger's comment but, that would be great if you posted after removing the rack.

And please post if anyone knows the correct 3M tape product. I would have used longer pieces if I had them.

I imagine the boot won’t harm the glass, but seems likely any sand or debris that gets between the boot and paint will eventually damage the paint.

If I could have gotten a small piece of xpel I would have used that to protect the paint.

I contacted Yakima, they do sell a set of four pads that fit around the area for $44 but, I can't tell if they provide full coverage or result in the same short, partial cover of the boot area. Here is the link: FIXED POINT ANTI-ABRASION PADS, 4 PACK

I spoke with 3M industrial adhesives. The product being used by Whispbar/Yakima appears to be 4712 linered transparent vinyl tape. This is difficult to find from a consumer standpoint. I couldn't get it for less than a full lot costing $1,500. The alternative is 471, which is the same product without the liner. A roll is $53 on Amazon and you just have to hassle with cutting sticky pieces off the roll.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQ2A76Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

There is a cheaper version of this product; #764 but, you get what you pay for and you run the risk of ghosting when you pull it off. The #471 can handle high temperatures and long adhesion times without problems. A had a loaner Model S from 2013 that had the 3M tape still attached to the roof. Who knows how long it had been there.

I finally got around to taking them off today. The photos are right after removal and after a damp clean rag. Door open = just removed, door closed = wiped with rag. To me This are pretty minute but you can see a type of oily outline from the pads. I'll keep an eye on it and see if what marks there are go away after additional weather. Those pads listed above would probably eliminate any worry. For myself this is how the ranger told me to install the product so if it doesn't go away I can mention it to the SC.

• Informative
Reactions: Flyguy
I am at the step of trying to pull the braces a bit off the cross bar in order to fit the rack, HOWEVER...after I unscrewed the horizontal screw 10 times the brace still can’t slide. I can clearly hear the aluminum cross bar hitting something as though there’s another item blocking it from sliding. Have spent nearly 30 minutes trying to further disassemble it with no luck. Anyone have a suggestion? Illustrative photo attached.
image.jpg