Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

whispbar with cargo box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my cargo box, but I went the yakima route instead of buying the whispbar. Same company and fit the same on the tesla.

Attachments

• 2016-09-22 17.57.37.jpg
    2016-09-22 17.57.37.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 280
  • Informative
Reactions: RobW2428
I got the yakima a little cheaper than the whispbar and also liked the all black look of the yakima. With the box, really dont see a huge range loss, Maybe like 10 or so miles but i wasnt stopping at any SC that i wouldnt even without the box. This is the Skybox 16. fits great, the rear lift hits it ever so slightly but not enough to cause any problems. I carry a lot of stuff to camp and such so thats why I got the 16, you could deninitely go smaller and wider, but I have bike racks also. One thing for sure though, if you have significant headwind, thats when you notice the most range loss with the box on. I have no regrets, Its been from Zion to Yellowstone, no problems.

I was looking for any and all info on racks and cargo boxes for my Tesla S, and came up with very little. Hopefully this info is useful for those of you considering racks.

I went with a Yakima setup for the rack - the Yakima Skyline towers, the Yakima 60" Jetstream bars, but went with a Thule Motion XT XL box. I did not buy the Whispr or Thule flush bars because I wanted more room on the bars for any future additions, and I actually like the look when the bars protrude. I almost went with a Yakima skybox 18, but it was 11 inches longer than the Thule for the same cargo space, and I felt the Thule was more attractive and better designed. For one, it has slots in the bottom which make the height a little less when placed on the crossbars, the locking mechanism is much sturdier and easier and it is more rigid. The Thule is about $150 more than the Yakima though, which was already pricey I thought.

The rack was a pain to put on - took about 2 hours in all. As you can see in the pics, part of the landing pad does not sit flush with the roof - I asked Yakima and they said it was fine. It does not move around. Also one of the pre-drilled holes in the roof does not have perfect threads, so the screw holding down the landing pad is not as tight as the others - however, it too does not move so it should be ok. The box was a breeze - about 10 minutes. There is noticeable wind noise when I drive which I expected. I have not taken it to the mountains or on a long drive yet, but will soon and can report back. I expect there to be a 15% hit on economy, judging by the comments left by others. I have a P100D, so am not too concerned about the economy.

The box fits well on the rack and looks attractive. It sits pretty level - I read other comments which complained about the cargo boxes angling up, but this one looks straight.

I expect there to be plenty of room for a snowboard, 4 pairs of skis, boots and some helmets, but will verify this weekend.

Let me know if any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    656.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0753.JPG