Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whistling Noise at 60-70km/h

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I drive a 2019 M3 SR+ and recently I've noticed a whistling noise when the car is cruising at 60-70km/h.

It sounds like a old school water boiler when the water is boiling and can be heard when it is in power or regen mode (not so much when under hard acceleration).

Previously, I could hear the motor whine mostly at lower speed, and on regen, but not when cruising at 60-70km/h. I'm wondering if this sound is normal and is a result of a recent drivetrain efficient update OTA (a few updates ago, the SR+ range was increased due to motor drive algorithm efficiency)?

Please let me know if you are also noticing this? Is it something I should bring up with the service center?

Thanks.

Is the whistling noise constant at highway speeds, or only occurring on acceleration? Does it seem to come from the rear of the car or the sides?

It only happens at 60-70km/h, not at highway speeds. It's audible anywhere from low regen to low accel. It is not audible on high regen (i.e. decelerating fast) or high accel (>40% throttle). It seems to come from the rear, which makes sense since it is a rear motor vehicle.

I have something that might be similar. It's a kind of whining noise (qualitatively different from the whistling due to wind). It changes pitch depending on motor speed, disappears at high speeds, is more audible if the rear seats are down, and occurs more noticeably at low temps. Does this fit your symptoms as well?

I have something that might be similar. It's a kind of whining noise (qualitatively different from the whistling due to wind). It changes pitch depending on motor speed, disappears at high speeds, is more audible if the rear seats are down, and occurs more noticeably at low temps. Does this fit your symptoms as well?

I know the noise you are describing, i usually hear it when the motor is spooling up/down, so its usually heard at low speeds <40km/h, and especially audible under hard acceleration or hard regen. I believe this is the standard electric motor noise that is present on all EVs.

However, the noise i'm describing is roughly constant pitch, and much higher pitch than the regular motor sound. Also, the main reason I made the post was because it did not exist in the past. This only started happening within the last 3 months. And, the most peculiar thing is that it ONLY happens in between 60-70km/h. It's almost like some sort of motor EMF resonance thing.

Hello

Since 3 weeks I have exactly the same ‘issue’ with my SR+.

It is not annoying but goes in both directions from 60 to 70 and 70 to 60.

It is not really annoying but the sound is clearly there. Anyone an update on this?

Regards T