Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whistling sound at 80MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bozer

Jul 13, 2020
NJ
When I'm using auto pilot or just driving normal, right around 78 mph I start to hear a whistling sound that sounds like its coming from the front hood or somewhere outside. anyone else experience this? I have had the car for over a year now and it's rare I'm on the highway going this fast so I never noticed it before.

When I'm using auto pilot or just driving normal, right around 78 mph I start to hear a whistling sound that sounds like its coming from the front hood or somewhere outside. anyone else experience this? I have had the car for over a year now and it's rare I'm on the highway going this fast so I never noticed it before.
Actually, I was just about to start a thread in the 3 forum about this issue. Did you happen to recently change your windshield wipers? At least on Stacy's Mom, the intermittent whistling occurred between 75 and 90mph(don't ask how I know it stops over 90!). Eventually I realized I had recently changed my wiper blades and in so doing I had touched the washer hose, and that the noise would stop when the wipers were active.

It took about three tries, but by moving the hose around by hand I got the noise to stop. I found that pulling all of the hose slack down to the pivot point worked.

Upvote 0
Usually occurs at a lower speed, and typically as identified as coming from the mirror area so this might not be your cause.
But check the bottom trim on both sideview mirrors, occasionally one gets out of the factory not snapped all the way shut, a quick squeeze and it snaps in place.

Upvote 0
So, just to close the loop, I think I know what was causing the whistling. I'm not quite sure why it started when I changed the wipers, but whatever.

It was not the wipers. In fact as part of my investigation, I removed both wipers(after trying both the Tesla and Bosch(I know they are identical to Tesla!) and even Trico brands). Notably I didn't put a spacer to hold the arms up an appropriate distance in when I removed the wipers, which might have been a good idea to precisely match the arm position. The noise persisted, so I put the wipers back on.

I then tried some gorilla tape(this was not intended to be a solution, just an investigation!), splitting it down the middle or thereabouts to make narrow strips and covered the rearmost lip of the cowl where it met the windshield. Additionally, by some stroke of luck I happened to touch a black piece of plastic that seemed to be loose. shown with some all-weather tape(https://smile.amazon.com/Gorilla-Weather-Waterproof-Temperature-Resistant/dp/B07GRJ8L55/) on it now. Initially I just used the same 'standard' gorilla tape.

Went for a drive, and for the first time in seven months, my whistle was gone!

I removed the cowling tape and drove again, and the noise remained gone!

Today as I was driving around I noticed every now and again a little chirp out of the same area as before. I assumed the original duct tape was starting to loosen up, and when I got a chance I took a better look at it. It appears there are at least three barbed spots on the plastic that were supposed to be grabbing the hinge, and one of them wasn't attached, it didn't seem to want to stay clipped in, so I added the all-weather tape as shown in the picture. The lowest clip(hiding inside the tape now) was the one that wasn't gripping.

I haven't taken another drive yet, but if I hear the whistling again I'll probably remove this plastic piece completely, as yet another experiment. It appears to be purely decorative, to hide that 'unsightly' hinge ;)

Attachments

• P4100001.JPG
    P4100001.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0