Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whistling wind noise sound - only sometimes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all! In my MX 75D I sometimes hear a faint whistling wind noise sound when going over 60mph. The weird thing is that it's not always reproducible! I am guessing that it could be due to crosswinds vs. head-on winds? Just today I was going 60 - 65mph with a lot of head-on wind and the cabin was quite silent. Then on a different road I went 60mph and heard the faint whistling wind noise. I'm guessing this isn't something that SC can fix since it's not always reproducible?

This may or may not be your issue, but, a decent percentage of M X had issues with the small forward window not being properly aligned. This causes various type of noise, possibly a whistle. This is a quick, free fix that the mobile repair guys can do. I'd start there.

In my case, I have had two sources of whistling. One was mirrors at lower speed (in town, basically), that they corrected with a sealant after taking the cover off. The other was only apparent in a cross wind where the leeward front window would be the source of the whistle. They adjusted the alignment of the window regulator to make sure the window contacts the seal at all points. The window problem seems much more common and I've had the same issue on multiple loaners as well--all seem to be early builds like mine. Usually the seal does not contact the window at the back vertical edge. You could probably inspect it and see. If there is even a small gap, it will end up whistling.