TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

White AWD rejected delivery - Fremont 8/30

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by zonela, Aug 31, 2018.

1. zonela

zonela Member

I know similar storys has been posted here multiple times but would like to share my experience nonetheless.

Rejected delivery for a white AWD yesterday morning. This was at the Fremont delivery center. When the DA took me to see the car, I immediately noticed a 0.5 inch paint chip on the front bumper with a bad touch up job. Also, car was dirty inside out with dust all over any gaps(tent build?), most of the model 3s in the lot were relatively much cleaner with no significant dusts like mine. Center console was scratched and some obvious tape residues that won’t come off. Roof glass panel has the worst alignment compare to all other 3s in the lot and with a chip on the front edge. Passenger front seat popping out of the plastic edge and were told the seat need to be replaced completely. Along with all other defects I found already discourage me for a car waiting for that long.

Original signed the papers thinking the pressure of my current car lease coming up. Went for lunch while the car was taken for some quick paint detailing. I had a clearer thought that I won’t be happy with this car and the headache to deal with all these later, so called the DA to reject delivery. Felt much relieved later the day that I had refused the car. 70k car should not be like this.

To whom it may concern. VIN 677xx, Aug build. There is another identical white AWD in the lot with MUCH better condition, hope that was mine.

My CU has a check on the way to Tesla, can I or should I call them to void the check? Now back to the process to wait for another car.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Did Tesla acknowledged the issues you saw. Do you have any pics?

• Love x 1
  3. xcat

xcat Member

Well that is disheartening but you made the right decision and right at the factory where it can be quickly escalated internally. Someone in QA didn't do their job. Fortunately this is becoming more the exception than the norm. Your next version will be flawless as I'm sure they note you rejected a prior delivery.

• Like x 1
  4. zonela

zonela Member

My DA took most of the photos and noted to put into the system. I this point I didn't care much to take pics anymore as I felt disappointed and will refuse the car anyway.

• Love x 1
  5. zonela

zonela Member

Thanks! I agree the pre-delivery QA has much to be improved. Asked for loaner and was denied as well.

6. Dinozero

Dinozero Member

That’s awful.

But the dust was not from the tent. That please is as clean as any factory.

The dust evidently came from cars sitting out in a big parking field that then experienced a dust storm.

• Informative x 1
  7. azred

azred Active Member

A loaner when you didn't buy the car? That's funny.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 3
  8. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

#8 SMAlset, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Doesn't have to be a dust storm. It's really dry here in the bay area (long time since rainy season) and there's lots of construction going on around the bay and even in our neighborhood. Plus other areas with agriculture can be seen havesting crops and tilling the soil. All ends up in the air here around this time of year with no rain to clean the air. Our cars in our driveway are constantly getting cover in dust. With the morning temps low we've had some condensation on the windows so figure it's on the body as well and that dust just sticks to it. Assume with Fremont being so close to the bay that's likely an issue there too.

Sorry OP for your bad lucky. Could have been us, we were suppose to have an appointment on Saturday for delivery. We're also in bay area and waiting for our AWD Model 3 white config. Posted elsewhere so won't elaborate but have been contacted twice weeks apart in August that we could have delivery asap and then only to be disappointed when they could never actually schedule it and make it happen, this was after moving money around to cover. Our recent apology email said as soon as it is reliably available again they'll contact us. sigh... I know how you must feel about when will the next car come up. What config did you go with? Hopefully we'll both have perfect cars delivered soon.

9. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Sorry to hear about that. Did you inquire about the other white AWD? You should have taken a look at that VIN and build date to see if that was newer...

10. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

My car has fairly moderate grit/ash/dirt (forest fires in CA and WA just prior to my delivery) in its exterior seals and a pretty intense dust smell inside as well. Any recommendations on fixing this? It’s pretty bad. Took delivery in Washington state last weekend.

11. Adam3

Adam3 Member

Any pictures?

12. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

I wonder if a good detailer in your area would be able to remedy that. Wonder if Tesla would pay for it.

• Like x 1
  13. Kenshi

Kenshi Member

I highly recommend getting a ceramic coating from a detailer. Your car will look better than new and super easy to maintain.

14. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah I’ve been looking into it. I was trying to not spend an extra $600-$8000 on paint protection since this car was already a stretch for me.

15. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah. I highly doubt Tesla would pay for it. They can’t possibly think they detailed the car though. Even though they told me it was in detail the day before delivery. It looked pretty bad at delivery time.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. Kenshi

Kenshi Member

If you have the time, you can look into DIY ceramic coating
    Tesla Model 3 | DIY Ceramic Coating

Material and equipment cost is probably under $500.

• Informative x 1
  17. zonela

zonela Member

Well, didn't hurt to ask. Another member here posted before that he got a S loaner after refusing delivery at the same location.

• Informative x 1
  18. zonela

zonela Member

I was contacted early Aug to take delivery ASAP, and it fell through like your situation. Then got contacted again last week and got a firm delivery date. My config is White AWD/black interior/19inch wheels/EAP/FSD. Good luck to us!

19. zonela

zonela Member

Yep, Vin 682xx, Aug build as well. Clean without dust inside out.

20. outie

outie Active Member

That’s unfortunate. During the mkbd factory tour video I see they have huge overhead signs all over the factory that reads “Quality is everyone’s responsibility”. Maybe the signs are missing from the tent?

• Funny x 3