Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

D.E.

Uncorked
Oct 12, 2016
MI
121DF205-E2EA-4696-BA32-EEA0C8C5B8B4.jpeg
EED23619-182D-4743-A460-2379B7F86FA6.jpeg
I bought some used rims, some used TPMS sensors for a set of winter tires. The rims had some dings so I had the surface repaired where needed and powder coated ($490). I had them done in a satin black. Then I had a set of Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires installed on the rims at Costco.

I brought the wheels home and installed them myself. I had a home made jack adapter, I used a Harbor Freight 3000 lb capacity floor jack. I bought a set of plastic lug caps. They came with center hub covers in black with a red T logo. I also bought a 21mm marr proof deep socket and a 1/2” drive click type torque wrench.

The car is heavy. I found jacking it up much harder than I expected with the floor jack. The wooden jack adapter worked well. It was hard maple (bowling alleys use hard maple). There were small marks pressed into the maple from the jack but overall the hard maple worked well. I did buy a jack stand offered by Teslarati but found it difficult to use. The car sits too low. I made 4 flat boards cut from a 2x10 board, 18” long and drove the car up onto the boards. That gave enough elevation to use the Teslarati jack stand but it was difficult to use with the floor jack, so I used just the jack with the wooden adapter.

The wheels are heavy, otherwise it wasn’t hard. After I torqued each nut I put the plastic nut cover on that nut to ensure I hadn’t missed one.

So...
I’m not sure about the black yet. They are winter wheels, though. I think I want a floor jack with more capacity. I wouldn’t buy the Teslarati jack stand, it is cumbersome. If working under the car I’ll use it but not for wheel changes. The torque wrench came from Amazon, was less than $40, and worked well. I did have a standard 13/16” socket I used, I put a layer of duct tape on it to protect the wheel finish but probably didn’t need to do that. That 21mm special socket worked well but probably wasn’t necessary. It was about $10 from Amazon.

I’ll attach a picture with the black wheels with the snow tires and the home made jack adapter.

Reactions: HealthyDude