Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Color Mismatch Unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think your color looks fine. The bumper and other panels are different materials and the bumpers are rounded causing light refractions appearing to be different colors. This happens on all cars and colors. The pearl and multi coat process accentuates it
I agree. I usually get white cars...and have almost always noted a warmer shade in the bumpers. For years and wirh many makes. Perhaps I'm just used to it.

SCs will take touch up paint and make it look like they used White Out on your car. Lol

we have seen the pictures

but seriously, a good body shop will make your Tesla look better than new.

Here you go those didn't see my album. Scrow to the part that has my front bumper. SC straight put just white out as touch up.

Before
xGLB6c9.jpg

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

The after body shop pictures. All color matched. Almost the entire car was repainted.

After
Auto Armour

So, is this still a thing? I have a white 2021 on order, but I hesitate to think about it yellowing and looking splotchy, particularly in the California sun.

Is this experienced in other colors, or is it just due to the pale shade of Pearl?

I've had my white for a couple of months now. I don't know about "splotchy" but there's definitely a shade thing when this paint is seen from two extremely different angles as at the rear bumper. I actually don't think there's an issue with most, it's a light/angle thing. I'm happy with mine and I'll add that the white is a beautiful colour with the metallic side to it - it's not just a flat white.

I'd say go see yours and decide for yourself but definitely look from a few different angles.

Reactions: techMology
All the Model Y I see have the bumper mismatch. I got also door mismatched and Tesla brought the car to a body shop and they fixed the door. But not the rear bumper since this is two different materials.

In other words, in Tesla words, all the body should have the same color and the bumper/body might have a small mismatch. That is what I interpret as their specs.

Now, honestly, the difference is not that big of a deal. I was frustrated by the door mismatch but it has been solved. Tesla addressed all the other issues on my car and I am now a very happy owner of my Model Y

Reactions: jpfive
I agree. I usually get white cars...and have almost always noted a warmer shade in the bumpers. For years and wirh many makes. Perhaps I'm just used to it.

Since I have my Model Y and saw this thread, I pay more attention to other white cars and I totally agree with you. I also have a friend working as a researcher in one of the largest paint manufacturer and she told me white is one of the hardest color to match on different materials. It seems we are all thinking this is an isolated problem on the Tesla brand while it is not and seem to be something related to the color/material.

Since I have my Model Y and saw this thread, I pay more attention to other white cars and I totally agree with you. I also have a friend working as a researcher in one of the largest paint manufacturer and she told me white is one of the hardest color to match on different materials. It seems we are all thinking this is an isolated problem on the Tesla brand while it is not and seem to be something related to the color/material.

Not true, coming from the Auto Body industry, if that was the case then All Auto Manufacturers would have this white mis-match issue and they don’t. Take a walk through a Toyota, Ford dealership and look at some white cars. It’s obvious Tesla uses parts that are made and painted in other locations and then assembled in Fremont. As you can see, the paint shops have no problem matching the color.

Not true, coming from the Auto Body industry, if that was the case then All Auto Manufacturers would have this white mis-match issue and they don’t. Take a walk through a Toyota, Ford dealership and look at some white cars. It’s obvious Tesla uses parts that are made and painted in other locations and then assembled in Fremont. As you can see, the paint shops have no problem matching the color.
100% agreed.
My bro in-lay owns/operates a body shop... he paints many cars every week. Multi-coat/pearl is easy when you're painting the whole car and even if you paint with the bumpers off... as long as you paint the car and all it's parts from the same gun same batch of paint/pearl mix. Problems crop up when trying to match pearl/multi-coat paints after the fact because there are two components to the paint, the pigment paint (white/red/etc.. ) and the pearl/metallic element. You have to experiment with test shoots (mix pigment+pearl, record formula, spray, clean out gun, move on to next formula, repeat..repeat..) till you get the correct pigment/pearl mix to match the car. I had a 2012 Pearl White Prius that needed some touchup prior to trade-in. IIRC my bro in-law tried six different formulas till he got the proportions correct. He always charges more when spraying multi-step paints because of all the extra work involved. There is pretty much no way a bumper can be painted off-site with multi-coat paint and match parts painted somewhere else unless you have really tight quality control.

Reactions: raggedy
It depends on the painting process. Cars painted in a body shop are not painted the same at the factory. Depends on the number of coats, the e-coating process, etc.). You cannot compare both. Again, that comes from people designing paints for the biggest manufacturers (Toyota, Renault, etc).

And if you really look closely, you will see that many cars have this mismatch between the body and the bumpers. Of course, your local body shop can repair this but again, the painting process between the factory and the body shop is not the same. If you want your car to be painted as in a body shop, the final bill will be way way higher.

I have had several white vehicle's over the years, 2 of which - pearl white. None have had paint miss matched bumpers.

There is absolutely NO incentive for Tesla to correct the issue. Those of us who refuse to accept sub par paint jobs, are spending more $$ for another color (self included).

100% agreed.
My bro in-lay owns/operates a body shop... he paints many cars every week. Multi-coat/pearl is easy when you're painting the whole car and even if you paint with the bumpers off... as long as you paint the car and all it's parts from the same gun same batch of paint/pearl mix. Problems crop up when trying to match pearl/multi-coat paints after the fact because there are two components to the paint, the pigment paint (white/red/etc.. ) and the pearl/metallic element. You have to experiment with test shoots (mix pigment+pearl, record formula, spray, clean out gun, move on to next formula, repeat..repeat..) till you get the correct pigment/pearl mix to match the car. I had a 2012 Pearl White Prius that needed some touchup prior to trade-in. IIRC my bro in-law tried six different formulas till he got the proportions correct. He always charges more when spraying multi-step paints because of all the extra work involved. There is pretty much no way a bumper can be painted off-site with multi-coat paint and match parts painted somewhere else unless you have really tight quality control.
100% agreed.
The body shop in Oyster Bay, NY (a Tesla certified shop) that repaired my door, which was damaged on delivery, did a perfect job. I was not inclined to have them reshoot my rear rubber areas, which are slightly warm, because, even with careful prep and the use of flex additives, I find that eventually, the paint may flake or fail. I just don't want that to happen.

I got a pearl white car about 5 years ago (not a Tesla but US made), the bumper to body mismatch was just awful. The dealer did the right thing and had it repainted but warned me it would never look the exactly same as the body. In the end it came out better than how the factory shipped it but I was stunned that it even passed inspection at the end of the line.
Even worse when you see a $20K Corolla in pearl white where everything matches perfectly, it can be done but some manufacturers don't seem to have figured it out still.