Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Color Mismatch Unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know its not just Tesla. I did see a brand new MDX just like that. Exact same.
I had a white 2010 BMW 3-Series Touring that had mismatched paint, too. It was subtle, but I could see it. I pointed it out to several people and they thought I was nuts, so I just learned to live with it.

Then I got rear ended and had to have the rear bumper replaced. Sure enough, slightly mismatched again, but that made sense (different age of paint, etc...). Again, I learned to live with it.

I have a white MY being delivered on the 21st of September. Hoping it's not as bad as some of those pictures. Yikes.

Yup, that is one mistake on the Yukon and someone felt compelled to write an article blasting GMC for their one reported mistake.

Tesla has an epidemic of mismatched white MYs

just saying at this point it's not really comparable.

I want a white MY so I'm hoping they can figure out how to paint it to match. As the days pass I am having less confidence and getting closer to just changing my color to MSM

Reactions: CO_MY
Yup, that is one mistake on the Yukon and someone felt compelled to write an article blasting GMC for their one reported mistake.

Tesla has an epidemic of mismatched white MYs

just saying at this point it's not really comparable.

I want a white MY so I'm hoping they can figure out how to paint it to match. As the days pass I am having less confidence and getting closer to just changing my color to MSM

There's plenty of issues with white among other manufacturers, it's tough and in no way Tesla-specific. Two minute Google found the Yukon and these:

Ford Explorer: White Paint Bumper mismatch on 2019 ford explorer
Mustang: Front bumper paint mismatch on ordered car, what should I do?
Acura: https://i.imgur.com/CxhWMWJ.jpg

Yes yes, most every car manufacturer has an issue with white, here and there

Tesla cannot be defended on this issue, sorry, not in my opinion.

tesla has poor paint overall and they have a serious problem with matching white right now. It’s far more widespread with the white MYs right now than I’ve ever seen with other cars.

just my opinion since I can’t pull up hard numbers for those that want to defend Tesla

I’m entitled to my opinions

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich
My father is a rep for the type of paint they use, which is actually not bad. In fact, its actually very good when applied correctly. As you can tell, Tesla is not spraying its' panels/doors on the car and keeping them consistent. They are either not applying enough paint and/or not using a great clearcoat. It's a shame and all fixable. The bumper being painted separately is an issue a lot of manufacturers struggle with, but they clearly are not addressing it right. They should be a lot closer than they are. The difference in material is 95% BS.

Reactions: raggedy
Wild turn of events.

They found me a car(literally 1 day later) 46k vin with MSM instead of white. Currently on a train from Fremont to Chicago.

pickup scheduled for the 19th.

I had called KC service center yesterday after seeing the post on the rejected white MY yesterday, because i have a white/white coming and was hoping it was not one of the 6 on lot in that picture :)

my vin is also 46xxx and is on same train to chicago as yours, we are picking up 9/17.

they are sending me pics b4 I pickup to verify color matches etc

Reactions: OZKM3
I had called KC service center yesterday after seeing the post on the rejected white MY yesterday, because i have a white/white coming and was hoping it was not one of the 6 on lot in that picture :)

my vin is also 46xxx and is on same train to chicago as yours, we are picking up 9/17.

My W/W is also on route to Chicago with vin 44xxx! Picking up 9/17 as well, but in MN. Very nervous. I'm only 30 min from my SC so I won't ask for pics

dan

dang, lucky you. I live 5 hours each way and my SA told me no pics. Heres to hoping

Done!
If he comes back with a "no" which is what im expecting. Is it easy to get/ask for a new SA? How does that process go?

More than one person works at that location. So I would try talking to somebody else.

I have had a lot of success calling the main sales number during business hours and talking to whoever answers. They have access to everything and can probably honor your photo request and tell the Delivery Center to comply.

I think I am going nuts here. Thoughts on the color of the doors? I cant tell if its the light green siding of my house reflecting that back or not.

If you find it hard to tell if there is a color mismatch, there propably isn't. Our eyes can play tricks on us. Shadows and surroundings can make us see mismatches that aren't there.

Not to say that there aren't a bunch of Teslas with mismatched paint. There are.

If you have worked with video you've probably seen this. The 2 squares are exactly the same color. If you don't believe that, open the image with paint and drag a piece of one square over to the other.
checker-shadow-illusion.jpg