Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Color Mismatch Unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y'all making me nervous with these color differences on the white MY. I ordered last Friday because I like the clean look, I guess at this point I can only hope and make a big deal out of it if something is wrong. This is one reason why I am not going to trade in my current car just in case I have to have something to drive.

I was recently in for service, one issue was specifically for the mismatched rear bumper, they didnt fix it. I guess Tesla thinks mismatched doors and bumpers are "within spec". Im actually shocked how bad service is, my car was absolutely filthy when i picked it up, and discovered a large scratch/unpainted portion on the underside of the lower lip of my front bumper that was not there before i brought it in.

Y'all making me nervous with these color differences on the white MY. I ordered last Friday because I like the clean look, I guess at this point I can only hope and make a big deal out of it if something is wrong. This is one reason why I am not going to trade in my current car just in case I have to have something to drive.
think about it this way - you have the knowledge and can make a decision when you pick it up. Its always possible the dolts at Tesla Freemont paint tent have solved the issues. This is very important -- if you look for it - you will find it - but look for it at many angels and - critical - in shade. Sun makes the pearl blend better -- shade contrasts... Ive examined MANY pics - in fact - just google 'white model Y' and look at images and YouTube videos -- you will see it. Owners claim perfection -- nope - panels mismatched - bumpers mismatched etc. I still have not seen a matching white MY. They had this issue with the M3 - and in fact - if you google white model 3 you will see the early versions had it and then they fixed it. Ive been told its the material differences - which is true but a cop out. Remember - front fender - steel - doors aluminum - rear fender steel - plastic bumper - hatch steel I believe. Bottom line - there are other manufacturers that know how to paint white - not Tesla. If it bothers you at pickup refuse the car because you will stare at it - as I do - when you take it home.

IS it time for a class action about the white matching problems?

I have had Tesla's since 2014; Model S, Model 3 and now the Model Y

These color mismatches are unacceptable and until I was using the car daily looking at it from all directions and in all light conditions was I convinced that there is a real problem. I also thought, when taking the car at delivery, that the color differences were only due to shadows and light conditions.

I understand that the rear bumper was being painted by the bumper supplier but the doors, really?? what does the paint have a directional affect that no one took into consideration?

This is unacceptable and I cannot get my Tesla reps to respond to my letters and pictures. So much for loyalty!View attachment 579423 View attachment 579424 View attachment 579425 View attachment 579426 View attachment 579427 View attachment 579428

Sorry looks like I’m jumping a little late. I have a May 20 build date. Second Tesla. Our first is a M3LR. Build March ‘19. It had a couple paint issues. Quickly resolved. 29k miles later new tires. That’s it. Wonderful experience. Back to my Y. I was very anxious about accepting it but I did. Panels were misaligned. And the paint much as you describe. Probably worse. It’s been in twice for paint. All doors and frunk have been painted. It looks wonderful. Nice thick looking paint. This color is a bit challenging as you know. The pearl reflects light in a way that slight panel bends look like different shades. Still it’s not acceptable to look at doors and see shade differences. What got me wound up was parking next to a Ford Escape with a pearl appearing white finish. No obvious issues in its paint. I know my M3P was a lot more expensive then it. No offense to the owner or Ford nice enough looking car. Don’t know where you live. In SoCal I set the appointment at Santa Ana. They work with a great paint shop.

[QUOTE="Don’t know where you live. In SoCal I set the appointment at Santa Ana. They work with a great paint shop.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Santa Ana have it's own paint shop? I saw a wall of paint bottles and work stations. I didn't see a clean room, so maybe it's just for touchups?

• Helpful
Reactions: Berkshire1
My service invoice regarding the bumper says the following:
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 2.20.52 PM.png
This is a bad look from Tesla.

Reactions: Maryland and Drax
[QUOTE="Don’t know where you live. In SoCal I set the appointment at Santa Ana. They work with a great paint shop.

Doesn't Santa Ana have it's own paint shop? I saw a wall of paint bottles and work stations. I didn't see a clean room, so maybe it's just for touchups?[/QUOTE]
It makes sense. Looks like a good size location with several buildings. My car went out to Auto Collision Group. Probably before they were ready. Or maybe it’s the over flow all the Model Ys coming in. . It’s been annoying but I do Love the car!

My service invoice regarding the bumper says the following: View attachment 583675 This is a bad look from Tesla.
So... in more or less words.. "it's within spec"!

Having owned a Pearl White vehicle (2012 Plug-in-Prius) that needed a nose-cone repaint, I understand that Pearl White is tough to match. The bodyshop showed me the test mixes (pearl material plus white) they had to spray to get the exact right mix. It took them six trials IIRC, and they had to completely clean the gun between batches which also added to the time ans $$$ of repair. That being said, Tesla really needs to paint Pearl White cars and it's matched components by paint batches not separately as they are doing now. It may take longer to paint that way, but how much are they spending on Pearl White paint issue remediation currently? Other option is to change the "free" color to something else (not back to black though as too many complaints about swirl, etc.. in the past when black was the "free" color).

You're not alone, I've been battling with this too. They don't want to cover under warranty, said I can get it painted for $800. My VIN is 14xxx. "It's only a shade or two off, all companies deal with this".

View attachment 584023
Holy moly. That's very bad. They need to let you go to a tesla certified shop to fix this. Their color match will be SO much better.

Reactions: jimmym1981
Holy moly. That's very bad. They need to let you go to a tesla certified shop to fix this. Their color match will be SO much better.
Fixing it isn't the issue, that can be done. I don't feel like I should pay for it yet. They don't to do anything with it under warranty. Funny thing is I have a pic of when it was on the supercharger at the SC on delivery day. It shows it there too, so I said it was like this when I picked it up. I'm still battling with them on it.

Fixing it isn't the issue, that can be done. I don't feel like I should pay for it yet. They don't to do anything with it under warranty. Funny thing is I have a pic of when it was on the supercharger at the SC on delivery day. It shows it there too, so I said it was like this when I picked it up. I'm still battling with them on it.
Yes I don't think anyone would think you should have to pay for that (except apparently tesla)

I'm curious, does anyone have a MY pearl white that DOESN'T have the mismatch issue? I've only seen reports of the issue.
The model Y i just rejected 36xxx had a SLIGHT mismatch but better than earlier VINs. I'm curious of 40xxx+ vins? Most people that claim to have no issues seem to be blind to it when they post a picture... Tesla can / should do better.

The model Y i just rejected 36xxx had a SLIGHT mismatch but better than earlier VINs. I'm curious of 40xxx+ vins? Most people that claim to have no issues seem to be blind to it when they post a picture... Tesla can / should do better.
Most of the people I ask what do you see wrong with my car, can't find it. Then I point it out, then they can't unsee it. It's there. It also pops more in different light, during shady or sundown times you can see it more.

@MYBolt
wow, your SC is telling you to pay to have it painted or just live with it?!? Stories like these that make me glad to not fork over my 60k to Tesla right now.
I am on the fence about switching colors to MSM, but honestly, it's hard for me to want to support a company whose culture towards its customers is toxic.

Reactions: cusetownusa

Do you remember the build date for that? I told my wife, if there is any paint mismatch, we are not accepting delivery.