Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Dash Strip -- what material is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cascadian

Supporting Member
Nov 27, 2014
United States
Hi, all! I have the wood veneer dash strip on my Model 3 that I've been wanting to replace for a long time. Finally found an artist whose work I love enough to proceed with my idea of an art project! :) The plan is to buy a white dash strip and use that as the "canvas." In searching online, I've seen reference to either "painted aluminum" or some kind of plastic. We can't use the plastic, if that is what it is, so I'll drop that idea for art in my car. Is there a way to find out if indeed it's painted aluminum so that I can order the dash strip? And I know it's a long shot, but I wonder if there's any way to actually get the aluminum strip from the manufacturer BEFORE it's painted white. That would be ideal. IF it is aluminum. Or is it some kind of plastic?

Thanks very much if you can definitively say what material it is. The online searches have been very confusing!

Yes, thankfully, I've seen videos where the strip has been popped out fairly easily. However, the artist will need to have the piece to work on, probably for a number of weeks. I don't think I can drive my car if I send out my existing wood veneer strip! ;-P

I need to order a white one for the "canvas" as the wood veneer has a grainy texture. (Apparently that's also an issue for those folks wanting to glue on a wrap to change the look.) The white strip is smooth. However, it can't be "plastic". If painted aluminum, that would work. Ideally, I could obtain an unpainted strip of just aluminum, but I know that's highly unlikely. So the first step is to find out what the material is. No point in ordering a white strip and have it shipped to the artist if it's plastic. Says painting on plastic wouldn't hold up. I've seen references to both when I've searched online. Which is it? I cannot proceed with this project until I know what material is used!

Thanks! :)

The white dash piece is made of aluminum.
Thanks so much for the confirmation! I called my local service center a couple of days ago and left a message with the Parts department about wanting to order the white dash strip so that we can get started on this art project. Hope to get a call back on Monday so that I can order it and have it be sent to the artist ASAP. So excited. :)

Reactions: PS Red3
Interesting idea.. looking forward to seeing how it comes out. On a somewhat related note, has anyone done any custom laser etch work on their dash pieces? Seems like it could be a pretty unique way to personalize your car. I've only seen one such example on a wooden dash on Google.

Hi, all! Well, it's been awhile since I posted about this. Thanks to the feedback I got, especially XLR82XS's info about the material of the dash strip, the journey is almost at an end -- I FINALLY HAVE MY NEW DASH STRIP! :) Ready to install...
Kay_Dash_1.jpg
Kay_Dash_2.jpg

I have an appointment at the Portland Service Center on Thursday to swap out the wood veneer one I've never really liked. (The vinyl wraps just don't do it for me.) Kay O'Rourke, the artist whose work I really love (Magic Realism -- Kay O'Rourke – Painter & Assemblage Artist) did a fantastic job! UPS delivered the strip yesterday, and here are some pics of it. More to come after the installation. :)

We enjoy art in our homes? Why not in our cars? :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KenC and daveymcgav
Hi, all! Well, it's been awhile since I posted about this. Thanks to the feedback I got, especially XLR82XS's info about the material of the dash strip, the journey is almost at an end -- I FINALLY HAVE MY NEW DASH STRIP! :) Ready to install... View attachment 596052 View attachment 596053

I have an appointment at the Portland Service Center on Thursday to swap out the wood veneer one I've never really liked. (The vinyl wraps just don't do it for me.) Kay O'Rourke, the artist whose work I really love (Magic Realism -- Kay O'Rourke – Painter & Assemblage Artist) did a fantastic job! UPS delivered the strip yesterday, and here are some pics of it. More to come after the installation. :)

Good idea! Would love to see the art in higher resolution.

Reactions: Cascadian
Haha, that's so unusual and different. Bravo!

Thanks, Spacep0d! I love it. It may be OTT for some folks, but that's the beauty of the "blank canvas" of the white dash strip. You can do anything you want, limited only by your imagination. It could be something more "subdued" but still make a statement and give a lot of pleasure. :) It's almost as if the designers meant for the white dash strip to be popped out (it's easy) and painted on, or whatever -- decoupage? Mosaics? What can you come up with? The car interior is so minimalist and it seems to me that the white dash strip is crying out for you to do SOMETHING with it! :)

Thanks so much for the confirmation! I called my local service center a couple of days ago and left a message with the Parts department about wanting to order the white dash strip so that we can get started on this art project. Hope to get a call back on Monday so that I can order it and have it be sent to the artist ASAP. So excited. :)
Hi! Can you sent a result of your project?)

Hi, all! Well, it's been awhile since I posted about this. Thanks to the feedback I got, especially XLR82XS's info about the material of the dash strip, the journey is almost at an end -- I FINALLY HAVE MY NEW DASH STRIP! :) Ready to install... View attachment 596052 View attachment 596053

Hi
My wife is a highly accomplished and sought after artist. She would love to paint her white dash. What type of paint did your artist use. If the car sits here in Florida in the hot Sun the proper paint is important
Thank you