TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

White dot on my avatar, what is it?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ceekz, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:16 PM.

1. ceekz

ceekz Member

Here's a screen shot with my Model 3 is stopped, but not yet in park. Anyone know the purpose of the white dot on the rear window? It disappears when the car is shifted into park.
    upload_2019-9-10_12-17-7.png

• Love x 1
  2. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

It’s rumored to simply be a specular reflection, probably to make the image appear more realistic.

• Like x 1
  3. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

It's a "reflection" of the sun. Computer generated of course.

• Like x 2
  4. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

It’s not a rumor. You can actually watch it as you move from Park to Drive. Personally I don’t care for it as it draws far too much attention to itself - and so many threads ask this question.

• Like x 1
  5. RayK

RayK Member

Be very glad that J. J. Abrams does not work for Tesla's image rendering group, otherwise you would be seeing countless lens flares in the display.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Kleenerth3

Kleenerth3 Member

Protected
    Detective
    Electric Eye!!!
    With apologies to Judas Priest... o_O

7. ceekz

ceekz Member

Seriously??? That does not look like a reflection to me... especially at night or in a garage! I find it more of a distraction than anything. If Tesla were attempting to look realistic, I suggest the software folks focus on the dancing car images, especially for crossing traffic!

Thanks for the replies. I looked for other threads about this topic but didn't find any.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. P100D_DDS

P100D_DDS Member

I'm sorry to say but the white dot means your Tesla is totaled. I'll take it off your hands :) lol

• Funny x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

Sorry bro, you got the car herp. Gotta be careful parking in shady garages. Highly recommend PPF.

The white dot means your car is powered on. IDK what people mean by a reflection, that makes zero sense from any perspective.

Why would a reflection of the sun move as you go from park to drive? Clearly it's an indicator, not a mocked up reflection.

10. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

No. It’s a reflection. Not an indicator. It moves because the angle of the car changes when you put the car into Drive and start moving.

• Like x 2
  11. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

#11 Runt8, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    It's a specular reflection of the virtual light that Tesla uses illuminate the scene. It's not a reflection of anything that exists in reality.

This is probably way more in depth than anyone cares to go, but see the images under the Specular Reflection section to get an idea as to what you're seeing. Intro to Computer Graphics: Lighting and Shading

In my opinion it's pretty sloppy, especially considering the other reflections they have going on in the scene (ie, clouds and stars).

• Like x 2
  12. omar

omar Member

Not in the popular opinion group but I think it means power is being delivered to the motor.

The location of the dot is where the main motor would be.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  13. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

I'm in the same boat. I can't believe Tesla would do something as stupid as "put in a fake reflection of the sun". They pay too much attention to detail to do this as it still shows at night. If the car is charging it doesn't show I believe.

• Disagree x 2
  14. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

It's not a fake reflection of the sun. 3D scenes need light sources to illuminate the geometry, otherwise everything would be black. Anyone with any experience in 3D graphics knows exactly what it is. Anyone who thinks it's something else is just showing their ignorance.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  15. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

#15 Nocturnal, Sep 11, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:02 AM
    So you are telling me that every 3D scene has a fake light source that is viewable on the object? It's hardly something more than a tiny % of people would know about. I'm certainly not the one who brought up that it was a faked reflection.

16. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Every realistic 3D scene has one or more light sources which illuminate the geometry of the scene. Depending on the position of the light source and the angle of the geometry in relation to the light source (along with the lighting properties of the geometry) you can see a specular reflection. It's a lighting "trick" that can cause objects to look shiny. It's one of the main differences when looking at an object with a shiny material versus objects with a matte material.

Tesla isn't trying to reflect a fake sun or do anything else like that. They just positioned a virtual light source directly above the car and the material on the glass is set to have specular reflections.

• Like x 1
  17. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

It’s amazing this discussion is still ongoing. Everyone else - just watch the “dot” as you move forward. It’s clearly a light reflection. There’s no ands, ifs or buts about it!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. Mojito

Mojito Member

I think when we get smart summons there will be a dot there to put us into a map mode.

19. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

That is not what this is. If raining it disappears and you get rain drops instead.

20. arcus

arcus Active Member