Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White dot on my avatar, what is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a screen shot with my Model 3 is stopped, but not yet in park. Anyone know the purpose of the white dot on the rear window? It disappears when the car is shifted into park.
upload_2019-9-10_12-17-7.png

• Love
Reactions: Marmac
It’s rumored to simply be a specular reflection, probably to make the image appear more realistic.
Seriously??? That does not look like a reflection to me... especially at night or in a garage! I find it more of a distraction than anything. If Tesla were attempting to look realistic, I suggest the software folks focus on the dancing car images, especially for crossing traffic!

Thanks for the replies. I looked for other threads about this topic but didn't find any.

Sorry bro, you got the car herp. Gotta be careful parking in shady garages. Highly recommend PPF.

The white dot means your car is powered on. IDK what people mean by a reflection, that makes zero sense from any perspective.

It’s not a rumor. You can actually watch it as you move from Park to Drive. Personally I don’t care for it as it draws far too much attention to itself - and so many threads ask this question.
Why would a reflection of the sun move as you go from park to drive? Clearly it's an indicator, not a mocked up reflection.

Sorry bro, you got the car herp. Gotta be careful parking in shady garages. Highly recommend PPF.

The white dot means your car is powered on. IDK what people mean by a reflection, that makes zero sense from any perspective.

Why would a reflection of the sun move as you go from park to drive? Clearly it's an indicator, not a mocked up reflection.

No. It’s a reflection. Not an indicator. It moves because the angle of the car changes when you put the car into Drive and start moving.

Seriously??? That does not look like a reflection to me... especially at night or in a garage! I find it more of a distraction than anything. If Tesla were attempting to look realistic, I suggest the software folks focus on the dancing car images, especially for crossing traffic!

Thanks for the replies. I looked for other threads about this topic but didn't find any.
It's a specular reflection of the virtual light that Tesla uses illuminate the scene. It's not a reflection of anything that exists in reality.

This is probably way more in depth than anyone cares to go, but see the images under the Specular Reflection section to get an idea as to what you're seeing. Intro to Computer Graphics: Lighting and Shading

In my opinion it's pretty sloppy, especially considering the other reflections they have going on in the scene (ie, clouds and stars).

Last edited:
Reactions: arcus and WilliamG
Not in the popular opinion group but I think it means power is being delivered to the motor.

The location of the dot is where the main motor would be.
I'm in the same boat. I can't believe Tesla would do something as stupid as "put in a fake reflection of the sun". They pay too much attention to detail to do this as it still shows at night. If the car is charging it doesn't show I believe.

• Disagree
Reactions: WilliamG and Runt8
I'm in the same boat. I can't believe Tesla would do something as stupid as "put in a fake reflection of the sun". They pay too much attention to detail to do this as it still shows at night. If the car is charging it doesn't show I believe.
It's not a fake reflection of the sun. 3D scenes need light sources to illuminate the geometry, otherwise everything would be black. Anyone with any experience in 3D graphics knows exactly what it is. Anyone who thinks it's something else is just showing their ignorance.

It's not a fake reflection of the sun. 3D scenes need light sources to illuminate the geometry, otherwise everything would be black. Anyone with any experience in 3D graphics knows exactly what it is. Anyone who thinks it's something else is just showing their ignorance.
So you are telling me that every 3D scene has a fake light source that is viewable on the object? It's hardly something more than a tiny % of people would know about. I'm certainly not the one who brought up that it was a faked reflection.

Last edited:
So you are telling me that every 3D scene has a fake light source that is viewable on the object? It's hardly something more than a tiny % of people would know about. I'm certainly not the one who brought up that it was a faked reflection.
Every realistic 3D scene has one or more light sources which illuminate the geometry of the scene. Depending on the position of the light source and the angle of the geometry in relation to the light source (along with the lighting properties of the geometry) you can see a specular reflection. It's a lighting "trick" that can cause objects to look shiny. It's one of the main differences when looking at an object with a shiny material versus objects with a matte material.

Tesla isn't trying to reflect a fake sun or do anything else like that. They just positioned a virtual light source directly above the car and the material on the glass is set to have specular reflections.

Reactions: WilliamG
Every realistic 3D scene has one or more light sources which illuminate the geometry of the scene. Depending on the position of the light source and the angle of the geometry in relation to the light source (along with the lighting properties of the geometry) you can see a specular reflection. It's a lighting "trick" that can cause objects to look shiny. It's one of the main differences when looking at an object with a shiny material versus objects with a matte material.

Tesla isn't trying to reflect a fake sun or do anything else like that. They just positioned a virtual light source directly above the car and the material on the glass is set to have specular reflections.

It’s amazing this discussion is still ongoing. Everyone else - just watch the “dot” as you move forward. It’s clearly a light reflection. There’s no ands, ifs or buts about it!