Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White drivers seat stretch marks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my Model Y and my wife drove me in her model 3. She asked the delivery tech about the stretch marks in her three months old drivers seat. Tech said she should put leather conditioner on it!
This doesn't sound right, and if that's true why wouldn't Tesla advise that for all new cars?

I just took delivery of my Model Y and my wife drove me in her model 3. She asked the delivery tech about the stretch marks in her three months old drivers seat. Tech said she should put leather conditioner on it!
This doesn't sound right, and if that's true why wouldn't Tesla advise that for all new cars?
Reddit says to use baby wipes to wipe off (you may need to apply some pressure). The grain is always going to be there, but it just becomes visible due to dirt and looks like stretch marks.

Some people have success with leather conditioner, but it's not necessarily right for the PU (Polyurethane) seats.
Page 168 in the manual says to clean the seat using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap (I have used baby shampoo, but I have black seats, which don't get dirty as easily).
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
Older manuals also mentioned using alcohol, but this has been removed from later manuals, likely because it's still a solvent and if used improperly can still damage the seats.
How to clean and seal the white Tesla seats

I'm experiencing the same issue with my seat and my car is 6 months old. Has Tesla given anyone resolution to this?
PXL_20220307_171032019.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
I'm experiencing the same issue with my seat and my car is 6 months old. Has Tesla given anyone resolution to this?View attachment 777975
See the reddit thread I linked. You just need to clean the seats (people had success with baby wipes with enough pressure, but tesla recommends just warm water and mild soap with a microfiber cloth). The grain is going to remain, but it is only showing up because the seats have gotten dirtier since they were new.

Reactions: Adam3
This worked for me to clean the "Stretch marks" on my white seats...Take a rag and put some Dawn liquid dish washing soap on it, and rub the seat down (especially the stretch mark areas). When done, get a clean rag and dampen it with some water, and then wipe the seat down to remove any Dawn. The stretch marks cleaned right up...Check it out!

I too use baby shampoo mixed with water in a spray bottle to moisten the microfiber. Works great! It is one more thing to keep up on to avoid permanent staining, but the look of the white is SO worth it!
After performing this cleaning the "stretch marks" are gone and the seat looks like it did before? I read a few times "you can still see the grain" after cleaning but I don't know what that means I can't see any grain in the seat?

After performing this cleaning the "stretch marks" are gone and the seat looks like it did before? I read a few times "you can still see the grain" after cleaning but I don't know what that means I can't see any grain in the seat?
Note I didn't say "you can still see the grain" rather that it is part of the seat and will "remain" (just that you can't see it from afar when seats are clean). Any leather and faux leather has grain, especially over the more complex shapes it is stretched over. If you take a 3D scanner or magnifier or apply some visualizing powder (which when seats get dirty, acts like the same thing) you can see the patterns in the seat. I'm pretty sure even brand new seats would have this pattern.

They show up more on white seats given the valleys in the pattern will be in high contrast to the darker dirty surfaces of the seat. With a black seat, there isn't that contrast even when dirty. For the same reason, white seats get dirty "easier".

Anyways try cleaning the seats first.

Note I didn't say "you can still see the grain" rather that it is part of the seat and will "remain" (just that you can't see it from afar when seats are clean). Any leather and faux leather has grain, especially over the more complex shapes it is stretched over. If you take a 3D scanner or magnifier or apply some visualizing powder (which when seats get dirty, acts like the same thing) you can see the patterns in the seat. I'm pretty sure even brand new seats would have this pattern.

They show up more on white seats given the valleys in the pattern will be in high contrast to the darker dirty surfaces of the seat. With a black seat, there isn't that contrast even when dirty. For the same reason, white seats get dirty "easier".

You didn't state you can see the grain, that was mentioned in some other posts earlier. As far as the pebbled look yes I see that, I guess that was what they meant by grain. I'll try the mild soap and see what happens, thanks.

You're absolutely correct and thanks for the detailed response. The OP has had this problem with only 3 mos of ownership. By contrast my Model Y with black seats after 1 yr, has no stretch marks at all, ZERO.