TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

White exterior Model S owners with aftermarket black rims: pictures?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gnychis, Dec 13, 2013.

1. gnychis

gnychis Member

#1 gnychis, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    For White Model S owners that put aftermarket black rims on their car, could you post a picture of your setup including the manufacturer and size? I've seen plenty of white MS with the turbine wheels, but I am trying to decide on an aftermarket black wheel. Thanks a bunch!

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I have been hording pictures of aftermarket rims trying to prepare to make an upgrade decision to 20s in a few months.

Here are a few for ya all on white. most are black rims. (these are not my photos, so credits go out to others who posted these on the forums or wherever I found them, google image search, etc):

_01.jpg 06-IMG_0198.jpg enkei_raijin19.jpg forgestar2.jpg Forgestarc5fv.jpg IMG_6253.jpg IMG_6283.jpg IMG_7443.jpg PhotoGrid_1376201815253.jpg Tesla Model S Black Out-4.jpg Tesla Model S Black Out-6.jpg Tesla Model S Black Out-7.jpg Tesla Model S Black Out-8.jpg Tesla-Model-S-On-ADV1-Wheels-By-C3Photography-06.jpg Tesla-Model-X-rear-wheel-at-Battery-Swap-Event-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

wwwSupercarFocuscom4Large_zps165c527f.jpg 10458916934_a638b6cfe3_b.jpg 10458916136_abbd21e221_c.jpg

3. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Great collection of pictures! I really like the white brake callipers on one set you show.

4. Ames

Ames Member

Love the ADV1's and the look from AG Studios. Painting the lower strips works well on white; makes the car look even lower. I wonder how that would look in MC red?

5. yobigd20

Yes I agree on white it looks like a really cool lower body extension. Not so sure on black. I'm actually in talks with my XPEL installer for wrapping all of the lower side rockers and front and rear valences in 3M Carbon Fiber wrap (black car). I think that would look pretty cool...

6. gnychis

gnychis Member

rocking collection of pictures, yobi! thanks for chiming in. Man, the turbine wheels still look great to me, but they're sooooooo expensive, I just can't justify their price. Those white calipers definitely look nice.I like the forgestar set the best of the non-turbines, but I wish they were larger in size.

You also answered another question of mine: how a white car looks with the chrome blacked out. I actually love the blacked out chrome look on the Tag Motorsports car.

7. wts13

wts13 Member

This may not be a popular opinion...but...some of these are depressingly tacky. I thought higher of Model S owners. Some of them look sweet, though. Moderation is key.

8. gnychis

gnychis Member

of course, some of them IMO look horrid. But, looking at the options :)

9. Ames

Ames Member

Well if we're doing Vote for the Worst, I'm going with Butler's (the last 2 of the pics). They leave too much open space which makes the brake discs look undersized and the ride height seems inconsistent on that car, i.e. the rear is higher than the front.

10. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Plasti-dip your rims. Easy, cheap and reversible.

11. logan

logan Member

I'll throw in my wheels to the mix. 22" Vossen CV4 powder coated gloss black (also got black lugs now). :)

zPpzgW9.jpg

AbSygsS.jpg

Photos by Gabriel Milori Photography for Vossen.

12. yobigd20

nice photos logan. Do you know what the width of the rims are in the front and rear and the exact tire specs? I know Vossen has stated that the can fit both 20" and 22" at 10.5" width on the fronts and I'm dying to know what tires (eg. 255/xx, 265/xx, 275/xx, 285/xx) and offsets they are using...

13. logan

logan Member

Thank you! I'm running the staggered 22x9" and 22x10.5" setup. I was originally told you could not run the 10.5" wheels in the front without rubbing but apparently they have gotten the 10.5" to fit up front when running a 5mm or 10mm spacer (forgot what size they said). I have 255/25/22 up front and 305/25/22 in the rear.

14. yobigd20

yeah thats what I've been looking for - whether or not its possible to run 275/35/20s (Continental ExtremeContact DWS) or 285/35/20s (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) all around. I'd prefer to do that than a staggered approach so that I could still rotate tires. If it's possible to do that using a particular offset size and spacer's that'd be awesome.

15. gnychis

gnychis Member

awesome looking setup, Logan! Probably the best combo with the white I've seen so far. I was just down in San Diego two weeks ago, would have loved to see it in person. The 22s fill the wheel well really nicely.

Also, is your chrome blacked out? Vinyl or plasti?

16. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Hey Logan did you wrap in white the bottom sills or paint? Want to do that, makes the car "sit" much cleaner! Nice job!

17. logan

logan Member

Let me know if you are ever headed to SD and I would be happy to show it to you in person! :)

The majority of the chrome is vinyl wrapped gloss black (front grille trim, fog light trim, window trim, rear valance trim, and side skirt trim). The rest was painted gloss black due to tight fitment to achieve a better finish (side mirror trim, trunk trim).

There's a couple other photos that give a better view of the trim in my thread here.

The bottom is wrapped. Originally was going to do a Satin Guard on the paint to protect the paint and give it a satin finish, but realized it would be a hassle to sand the lower panels, paint them to match the factory paint, and THEN wrap them. Instead, I wrapped the entire car (including lower panels) 3M Satin Pearl White. I also really love the lowered appearance from matching the bottom panels.

18. gnychis

gnychis Member

Yobigd, what is this wheel that you recently added and updated your original post??

19. yobigd20

I believe that is a custom Forgiato wheel sold by Al and Ed's.

20. yobigd20