Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White House should lead by example?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though recent administrations have poured billions of greenbacks into renewable / sustainable energy, perhaps the White House should also lead by example?

Once "our" cars have been delivered, perhaps TMC should / could "give" a few Model S/X's to the government, perhaps instead of loan paybacks?

I think a fleet of black Model S and X would be a welcome change from the usual armored wagons that parade around Pennsylvania Avenue.
Vision from the top?
Add to that, south facing roofs on the "house" be covered in solar panels, and / or a wind turbine all of their own?

Why has money not been poured into Smith? The electric truck makers?

There is no reason why every fire truck, and mail delivery truck, for starters, couldn't be electric?

Not to mention school buses.

Forget how many megawatts we need (based on movie Carbon Nation).

Or is this only in utopia?

Think not. After all, would have guessed we'd be where we are today with EV's, just ten years ago? Perhaps by 2020 the above and more can be achieved?

(This is not a political argument, just an environmental suggestion!)

Interesting points, @sp4rk. Putting on my cold-hearted bureaucrat hat for a moment:
  • The Model S isn't a great limo; the rear seat is only adequate, but not like a real limo that puts a wide range of amenities and conveniences there. The rear door opening is constrained, too, making it difficult for a woman in a ball gown to exit gracefully.
  • EVs become economical only if they run a lot of miles, but not too many miles per day. Firetrucks and school buses don't drive enough. Mail delivery and police, however, would be great candidates as EVs.
Given American's media-celeb culture, it will probably have more impact for the Hollywood glitterati to adopt the Model S, rather than the President.

Armored limos are equipped with top power ICE to make up for the weight penalty.

The "high" security" models from BMW 750iL "with 8cyl/407hp and BMW 760iL with V12/544hp. 0-62mph times 7.9 and 6.2s, resp.
They have steel armor plates and 6cm (5.3in) multilayer glass + polycarbonate windows.

Source: Bayerische Festung: BMW Siebener High Security | heise Autos

To make a dent in US govt fuel consumption, the "normal" car fleets should be replaced with stock model hybrids, range extenders, or BEVs first.

Even though recent administrations have poured billions of greenbacks into renewable / sustainable energy, perhaps the White House should also lead by example?

Once "our" cars have been delivered, perhaps TMC should / could "give" a few Model S/X's to the government, perhaps instead of loan paybacks?

I think a fleet of black Model S and X would be a welcome change from the usual armored wagons that parade around Pennsylvania Avenue.
Vision from the top?
Add to that, south facing roofs on the "house" be covered in solar panels, and / or a wind turbine all of their own?

Why has money not been poured into Smith? The electric truck makers?

There is no reason why every fire truck, and mail delivery truck, for starters, couldn't be electric?

Not to mention school buses.

Forget how many megawatts we need (based on movie Carbon Nation).

Or is this only in utopia?

Think not. After all, would have guessed we'd be where we are today with EV's, just ten years ago? Perhaps by 2020 the above and more can be achieved?

(This is not a political argument, just an environmental suggestion!)

In the 1980's the Post Office had Electric delivery vehicles. My father and I spoke to the mailman about them in Sarasota, Florida. The name escapes me right now. A member of the NJ EV Club has one.

I cannot think of which President had the Solar Panels removed from the White House. I remember reading about them being removed way after it occurred. They were suppose to be put back though now were they??? I don't know.