Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White House Targets 350 kW, 10-Minute EV Fast Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California
White House Targets 350 kW, 10-Minute EV Fast Charging

"Department of Energy (DOE) will partner with National Laboratories to explore the feasibility of fast charging up to a rate of 350 kW, which could charge an electric car in as short as 10 minutes."

Current Tesla's rate is 120 kW in the US or 170 miles per half hour (theoretical 145 kW in UK.)

Current public non-Tesla chargers are mostly 50 kW although 100 kW is possible.

CHAdeMO Foundation is promising 150 kW to be deployed in 2017 and it is studying for 350 kW as well.

• Informative
Reactions: 22522
I don't really think it's that necessary. I actually like the slightly longer, enjoy your stay charging times.

Not always necessary, but would love the option. Some of the SuperChargers I've encountered so far have little to nothing of interest in proximity unless I want crappy fast food or a hotel I'm not going to stay at. Sometimes I need to get to my destination and this is where an ICE vehicle still has some real advantages.

I really want my Model X to have 2.5X the battery capacity or the ability to charge from 10% to 90% in < 10 minutes. To me this is what the car needs most. And Tesla will have to get the energy density increased by about that 2.5X factor if they want to make a serious run at the heavy duty truck market. I'd love to replace my diesel F-350 with a Tesla pickup that can haul the same loads, but it will need to get the same range ~ about 500 miles hauling empty and that's with my lead foot driving it too. With the auxiliary fuel tank, 50 gallons, I get 1200 miles. Or about half that pulling a pretty serious load. An EV pickup of this size is going to need a 400KWh or larger battery pack in order for the market to take it seriously and it will need to be cost competitive. There will also need to be an option for additional battery expansion. I'm sure Elon has this all figured as part of his master plan. He mentions a Tesla semi / tractor-trailer setup. Such a truck needs to have enough battery to pull a full load over a variety of terrain, including up mountain inclines, and do it all comparably, hopefully better than, an ICE equivalent. It needs to have enough capacity to do that for 10 hours, which is the daily limit allowed for commercial drivers here in the US.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there, but there are times the journey is not what it's about and the destination is key and time is important.

If battery capacity were doubled and I could make one stop over lunch while doing a drive from Denver to Albuquerque or Salt Lake and top off while I ate, that would be awesome. As of right now, Denver to Salt Lake takes 3 stops. 2 should be possible, but I'm not that brave. I lose too much on the front end of the trip with the climb into the mountains. The return trip is 2 stops easy. Driving my truck I'll make one stop for a break when I'm ready and I don't even need to get fuel. A typical ICE SUV can do the same trip with a single quick fuel stop.

As for daily commuting and about town driving, the Tesla experience is amazing. For road trips where the charging stops become destinations to explore, the Tesla experience is amazing.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
This is really about controlling battery temperatures at the chemistry level during charging. Maybe falcon doors will help? It is not unlike loading a bus.

Do our cars have the capability to take advantage of this today?
I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "no". Today's Teslas already taper fairly early in the charge curve so it is hard to see double or triple the charge power being of much use.

I presume that the idea behind this much faster charging plan is better chemistry, much larger battery packs or, perhaps, more effective cooling. Maybe all three at once.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: msnow