Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White interior available for AWD /nonP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The door panels are supposed to be the same material as the black. The dash is likely coated aluminum but I'm not sure how often people reach up and touch that?

I'm not attacking you but can you tell me where you saw that because I see no evidence on the order page. I highly doubt that is white Alcantara. I also don't think that's white painted wood, the email said the white decor replaces wood.

Last edited:
I'm not attacking you but can you tell me where you saw that because I see no evidence on the order page. I highly doubt that is white Alcantara.

It was from a test drive comment. Don't see it at the moment. They could have been off, of course.

I also don't think that's white painted wood, the email said the white replaces the wood.
Who said wood? You're not referring to my post, right?

The door panels are supposed to be the same material as the black. The dash is likely coated aluminum but I'm not sure how often people reach up and touch that?
White wood would look way better than painted aluminum. Something like white ash :p I think we are getting owned @ 1500 but not burning my legs will make me happy so I gotta do it anyways. For $1500 though we should get an Alcantara headliner too! In fact I bet this happens after the initial profits are made off the excitement.

The color of the vegan leather can't cost THAT much more, in fact I think tesla will be saving money by getting rid of the wood dash. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we will get a nice little bonus like Alcantara headliner too. Right now we will be paying $1500 for an inferior interior, just to be done in a non leg burning color. Even the headliner wouldn't justify the $1500 cost, but it would make me feel a little better about choosing this option.

Last edited:
One other thing, the chevy bolt had a white dash option and it created so much reflection on the window that people had to buy covers for it so they could see out the window. I hope this does not happen with the dash strip on the 3. I would hate to have to cover up part of my $1500 option.

One other thing, the chevy bolt had a white dash option and it created so much reflection on the window that people had to buy covers for it so they could see out the window.

Mine's the light grey version (not white, except the flecks in the funky pattern over on the passenger side) and I can't say I've found any issues with it. Just the normal "can't see into the garage on a very sunny day" stuff. It's nothing like if you put a sheet of white paper on the dash. But then I where sun glasses usually that tends to mitigate that sort of thing.

I hope this does not happen with the dash strip on the 3. I would hate to have to cover up part of my $1500 option.

Seems very unlikely. The strip is located on the dash well back from the window and inherently fairly low. If you're very sensitive to any reflections, maybe? Not sure it'd be all that difference than the wood, though, since I found that relatively light coloured.

One other thing, the chevy bolt had a white dash option and it created so much reflection on the window that people had to buy covers for it so they could see out the window.

Mine's the light grey version (not white, except the flecks in the funky pattern over on the passenger side) and I can't say I've found any issues with it. Just the normal "can't see into the garage on a very sunny day" stuff. It's nothing like if you put a sheet of white paper on the dash. But then I wear sun glasses usually that tends to mitigate that sort of thing.

I hope this does not happen with the dash strip on the 3. I would hate to have to cover up part of my $1500 option.

Seems very unlikely. The strip is located on the dash well back from the window and inherently fairly low. If you're very sensitive to any reflections, maybe? Not sure it'd be all that difference than the wood, though, since I found that relatively light coloured.

It was from a test drive comment. Don't see it at the moment. They could have been off, of course.
I thought one of the test drive reports said that it was the same as the seat material...?

The color of the vegan leather can't cost THAT much more, in fact I think tesla will be saving money by getting rid of the wood dash.
Odds are that it doesn't cost more. At all. It doesn't have to for Tesla to charge more. If that's a problem, then think of it as a penalty for opting for that other interior that's complicating assembly further and detracting from and/or requiring more resources to be thrown at the in-house seat manufacturing line, so they're using price to help control demand.

I thought one of the test drive reports said that it was the same as the seat material...?

Yes. *looks back* Ooooh, I see where this got backwards. Yeah, it appears to be the same material as the black (and white) seats. Sorry about that confusion.

Odds are that it doesn't cost more. At all. It doesn't have to for Tesla to charge more. If that's a problem, then think of it as a penalty for opting for that other interior that's complicating assembly further and detracting from and/or requiring more resources to be thrown at the in-house seat manufacturing line, so they're using price to help control demand.

Pretty much. Want white? This is the price. Don't feel it's worth that? Don't pay it. *shrug*

That said white can be tricky colour for high performance synthetics. Look what happened with some of Apple's iPhones, it took them ages to be able to get production to work in proper white.

I just sat in a red on white test drive vehicle about an hour ago. The door panels in the white interior appear to be the same vegan leather material as the seats. The door panels in the black interior are Alcantara. I'm not positive what material the dash is, but it feels like aluminum.

It's possible that it's plastic but I'm not sure. Only sure think is that it's hard. My time was limited since I didn't have a test drive appointment. I just begged them to see and sit in the car so I can decide on white or black.

What did you end up deciding on? How did it feel? Does it look luxurious as it does in the X? Or did it feel cheap? Did the wood make it hard to see in the sunlight?

Mine's the light grey version (not white, except the flecks in the funky pattern over on the passenger side) and I can't say I've found any issues with it. Just the normal "can't see into the garage on a very sunny day" stuff. It's nothing like if you put a sheet of white paper on the dash. But then I where sun glasses usually that tends to mitigate that sort of thing.

I agree it probably won't be an issue.

here is the Chevy Bolt's White Dash and the reflection problem. The area it covers is much larger.

Bolt-Reflection-With-Cloth-2-610x343.jpg

I (Can't) See Clearly Now: Chevrolet Bolt Owner Struggles to Fix His Dash's Blinding Glare

• Informative
Reactions: jsrawa
What did you end up deciding on? How did it feel? Does it look luxurious as it does in the X? Or did it feel cheap? Did the wood make it hard to see in the sunlight?

I haven't finalized the decision yet. Gonna go home and make my decision regarding editing my order by tonight or tomorrow morning. White looks really nice. Definitely not cheap. I saw the car in underground parking, so can't say anything about sunlight. White will inevitably show greater reflection when you look up at the glass roof as that was evident even in underground parking.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed we will get a nice little bonus like Alcantara headliner too. Right now we will be paying $1500 for an inferior interior, just to be done in a non leg burning color. Even the headliner wouldn't justify the $1500 cost, but it would make me feel a little better about choosing this option.

Didn't they remove alcantara from the black interior? Why would they all of a sudden add it to the white?