Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior Cleaning: Two Previously Unseen Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn’t find through search.

1) why don’t more folks use a soft bristled silicone brush when cleaning seats with soap/water? I see so many comments and videos of people using abrasives/magic eraser/etc. Seems like the prescribed cleaning alongside the right tool and elbow grease is better. What am I missing?

2) Haven’t seen and can’t find anything about using a home steam cleaner on them. It’s basically just water and non invasive cleaner, but would want to know. I’ve used the steamer on drapes, coaches etc. what I assume are far less durable fabrics. Any red flags there?

I sincerely like the white seats better, I’m just trying to get myself over the final hump of a 60k car with stained seats. These ideas are sort of my final frontier that I can’t seem to find great details about. They wouldn’t be my first option.

I've got the white seats. Both your ideas are good ones. Magic erasers is a BAD idea for these seats. Soft bristled brushes are fine, but I don't find them that much better than microfiber towels. Steam cleaner would be good.

But a bit of front-end prevention is better than either cleaning option. I put on a coat of leather/vinyl coating every 6 months or so and wipe down with interior cleaner and microfiber towel once per week. Never had any issues with staining or discoloring.

I've got the white seats. Both your ideas are good ones. Magic erasers is a BAD idea for these seats. Soft bristled brushes are fine, but I don't find them that much better than microfiber towels. Steam cleaner would be good.

But a bit of front-end prevention is better than either cleaning option. I put on a coat of leather/vinyl coating every 6 months or so and wipe down with interior cleaner and microfiber towel once per week. Never had any issues with staining or discoloring.
Do you have kids on them? I swear I don't know how he gets so many stains on everything, must be working away while we are asleep, plotting new ways to get red marks on walls, couch, whatever. Doesn't get anything that's permanent marking/non washable, yet there those stains are, and they don't wash out.

Also the kid impacts my ability to say I'll commit to a weekly cleanup. I know I'll get lazy. A stain I think i'll get onto, but a weekly ritual of the entire interior? I don't see it. That said, I have relatively light grey seats right now and couldn't tell you if they have stains on them or not, so....

The owner's manual has a warning about stains on the seats: "Be careful with dyes, such as from clothing or denim, that come into contact with the seats. Dyes can diffuse into the seat material over time and cause staining." I've had light creme seats, nearly white, and was fanatical in keeping them clean but they eventually looked like crap from an accumulation of permanent stains. One of the universal truths is that white upholstery eventually gets permanently stained no matter how careful one is.

The Tesla factory seat covers in the Model 3, Model Y are currently not made of leather. The seat covering material is trademarked as UltraLeather (This is a polyurethane based fabric (it has a Rayon backing layer). UltraLeather contains no animal products (polyurethane is made from petroleum.)

Everything you need to know about caring for the Tesla Model 3, Model Y seat covers can be found here:

Ultrafabrics Inc.: White Wash | ultrafabrics

From the Care Instructions:

Recommended Cleaning Instructions for Ultrafabrics

One of the best ways to keep Ultrafabrics looking great is through proper maintenance and regular cleaning to prevent excessive dirt from accumulating.To help keep your quality fabrics looking their best, follow these guidelines to extend the life of the fabric:
• Wipe up spills as soon as they occur
• Clean with soap and water
• Sanitize using disinfectants such as (1:5) bleach/water solution
• For stubborn stains, wipe off with Isopropyl alcohol as soon as possible*
• Thoroughly rinse all solution residue with clean water
• Air dry

This information is not a guarantee. Please use all cleaning and disinfecting agents safely and as instructed. The use of other cleaning agents, disinfectants, conditioners or protectants is not recommended as they can degrade fabric’s performance and may void Ultrafabrics warranty.

Ink & Stain Resistant collections note:

A variety of clothing and accessories may contain dyes that could transfer to lighter colors, depending upon variations in temperature and humidity. Dye transfer is difficult to control, not always fully preventable, and may be irreversible. Fabric may not protect against intentional stains or permanent inks.

*This also applies to the removal of most ballpoint inks from Ultraleather® | Pro and Ultraleather® | Reef Pro

Reactions: GOVA and sleepydoc
Let us not forget the Naugahydes; the ancient ancestor of the Urethanes.
1630588941479.png

An actual Nauga. Raising them was my retirement plan. I released the heard to the wild when the market fell out.

Also the mascot of Trumbell and Core university.

Do you have kids on them? I swear I don't know how he gets so many stains on everything, must be working away while we are asleep, plotting new ways to get red marks on walls, couch, whatever. Doesn't get anything that's permanent marking/non washable, yet there those stains are, and they don't wash out.

Also the kid impacts my ability to say I'll commit to a weekly cleanup. I know I'll get lazy. A stain I think i'll get onto, but a weekly ritual of the entire interior? I don't see it. That said, I have relatively light grey seats right now and couldn't tell you if they have stains on them or not, so....
We have an 11 year old daughter. So she was 8 when we first bought the car. I make it a point to remind her she is sitting on white seats, and she is pretty responsible. I don't let her eat chocolate or other foods/drinks which could stain if dropped/spilled. And I know boys and girls can be VERY different in this regard.

I'm pretty AR when it comes to this. But weekly wipe-downs are nothing. It literally takes 2 minutes to do.

I have found this works really well on plastic throughout the car and works great as a protectant on the white seats. Recommend seating on a microfiber towel and then wiping the seats and or plastic. If sprayed directly onto surface can leave streaking and uneven application. For daily care a non scented Costco wet wipe works great.

Attachments

• 35B6D233-7278-489F-AF55-083208D71543.jpeg
    35B6D233-7278-489F-AF55-083208D71543.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 39