Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior - Denim Transfer/Cleaning Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for about a week and have driven it about 300 miles - mostly in dark denim that had been washed a few times previously. I noticed that the dye already started to transfer onto the seat bottom and bolster. I tried a wet towel and it didn't work. Then, I did a quick search from my phone and saw that some people were using Mr. Clean magic erasers to remove the dye (one person said that a Tesla rep recommended it). I tried it - using it very gently- and it worked perfectly.

However, upon further research I stumbled upon others warning against Mr. Clean Magic eraser - that it is too abrasive.
I only used it this one time on one area and I won't use it again - but my question/concern is whether I just permanently removed the stain-resistant coating on the driver's seat.

Any idea as to whether the "stain resistant Polymer" is intrinsic to the seat materials or just some sort of coating on the surface that can be removed (in my case with a magic eraser - but I have to imagine that a person using a terry towel with 409 and a heavy hand could also remove a surface coating)? Hoping that if I use clorox wipes going forward (which I now realize seem to be the safe cleaner of choice), that I won't be paying for this early mistake down the road.

I have a Genesis G80 that is 2 years old with white seats. I've successfully used Ammo NYC Lather Interior Cleanser. His website has a fantastic page with dozens of videos on car detailing, including how to best clean leather seats and talks about this spray, brush technique. It works very well and my seats still look brand new. I have to do it about every 4-6 months when they start to turn blue.

I saw a video of someone just using a sensitive skin - unscented baby wipe on denim transfer and it worked. The Tesla person at my delivery recommended them as well. I've been using them once or twice a week just to keep things tidy.