Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White interior fans, we all have a decision to make

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking a good number us were hoping to order the white interior come July.
Since it’s limited to just performance model, what are most of you considering if you have been holding out.
1) order performance model
2) order ASAP first production or AWD and then order T sportline white seats (~$2k + install)
3) wait as long as needed to get white interior even if it means 2019
4) bail on white all together

• Love
Reactions: Krash
I'm waiting for white interior no matter what. I originally wanted the SR model. Then learned I'd have to get LR to get the full tax credit. If waiting for the white interior means I'll miss out on the full tax credit on an LR, then I'll go back to my original plan of waiting for SR and getting white interior with that, just with half tax credit. And tesla will miss out on an extra $9k from me.

I went for the performance. Getting the full tax credit takes some of the sting out of the $24K premium. I figure the 20 inch wheels are worth a $2000 upgrade. The extra second to 60 is worth another $5000 to me. The spoiler is an easy $1K. All that with the tax credit is about $15500. The T-Sportline seats plus install is about $2800. So I'm paying about a $6000 premium going this route. This is just me...and my back of the napkin personal math. I wavered more on autopilot than the white seats.

I really wanted white interior but today I ordered the AWD M3 with black interior.

Reason 1: AWD is more important to me. Interior can be altered aftermarket.

Reason 2: Want my M3 in the production queue before tax credit is cut in half.

Reason 3: Hope to alter my order to white interior before my VIN is assigned. This assumes (a) they announce the white interior before my VIN is assigned and (b) I can still get the full tax credit by the time my AWD M3 with white interior is delivered.

I'm waiting for white interior no matter what. I originally wanted the SR model. Then learned I'd have to get LR to get the full tax credit. If waiting for the white interior means I'll miss out on the full tax credit on an LR, then I'll go back to my original plan of waiting for SR and getting white interior with that, just with half tax credit. And tesla will miss out on an extra $9k from me.
Wait what??? I don't get it how is the price of the vehicle determine if you get a full tax credit or not determine if you get a full tax credit or not? Tax credits are based on how much taxes you paid over the year and and how much tax liability you have all together. Please tell me how I am wrong.

White Interior will probably available by August. Don't see how Tesla can get 1K AWD Performance order weekly
My math is they have material for 1000/week of all
Vehicles.
Tesla makes ~2000-2500 model S/X a week right so let’s ballpark 33% are white. Just a while guess as there are 3 colors (I’m ignoring fabric somewhat). 600-800/week are white
Now say they make 5000/week model 3s. That leaves 200-400 they can make with material they have. So even if 10% are performance and it’s 50/50 white/black then it’s only 250/week for white.
Does that make sense? Just my thoughts as the math didn’t add up on the 1000/week number

My math is they have material for 1000/week of all
Vehicles.
Tesla makes ~2000-2500 model S/X a week right so let’s ballpark 33% are white. Just a while guess as there are 3 colors (I’m ignoring fabric somewhat). 600-800/week are white
Now say they make 5000/week model 3s. That leaves 200-400 they can make with material they have. So even if 10% are performance and it’s 50/50 white/black then it’s only 250/week for white.
Does that make sense? Just my thoughts as the math didn’t add up on the 1000/week number

Hmmm, Elon didn't say specifically if it was 1000/week for all lines or just the 3. Elon did say white should be available in 3-4 months to non-performance so that's potentially 12000~16000 white interior being made. Seems awfully low if it's shared across all three models.

There's what 450k pre-orders?

Even if only 5% want a P that's enough weeks to put us into 2019 (based on the idea they're not actually selling any till July)

Only 180K order on the first day - 20K already sold = 160K * 5% = 8K. That's only about 2 months based on the 1K/week white interior.

I think that's what we'll do also.

Wait what??? I don't get it how is the price of the vehicle determine if you get a full tax credit or not determine if you get a full tax credit or not? Tax credits are based on how much taxes you paid over the year and and how much tax liability you have all together. Please tell me how I am wrong.

SR won't be available until 2019 when the U.S. tax credit starts decreasing. Thus, LR and whatever options Tesla offers for delivery in 2018 are the only Model 3 versions that will receive a full credit. Only secondarily related to price.

Yeah, wish they would offer a black headliner with the white seats. ...Or offer up light grey seats to coordinate with the headliner.

Unless we buy the performance model, I think that white seats are going to cost us about $3~$4K either way we look at it. Order to get it this year and take the full $7500 tax credit, but then it’s going to cost $2100-ish from T-Sportline plus installation to have white seats. Or similar if you have an auto upholsterer go and work their own magic. ...If we wait until Tesla offers it, It probably won’t have an upcharge, or probably not much of one, but we’ll most likely miss out on $3750 of that tax credit due to Tesla reaching 200K deliveries. Those outside the USA will probably see white seats as an option for all configurations by the time they can order. Those who can’t leverage all of the tax credit may want to wait to save the additional cost of the aftermarket solution. I suppose it depends on how much it’s worth to have the car sooner.

Reactions: slipnslider