Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White interior fans, we all have a decision to make

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, Elon didn't say specifically if it was 1000/week for all lines or just the 3. Elon did say white should be available in 3-4 months to non-performance so that's potentially 12000~16000 white interior being made. Seems awfully low if it's shared across all three models.

Only 180K order on the first day - 20K already sold = 160K * 5% = 8K. That's only about 2 months based on the 1K/week white interior.
You are right he didn’t say specifically but I laid it how the math works. They won’t be selling 2000/week performance models (if we assumed 50/50 split with black/white interior) out of the 5000 produced a week.
The 3-4 months is what he seems to think is needed to increase supply production first. Even then I think it’s opened up to AWD and not first procuction.
Again it was my math as he stated they have enough for 1000/week and that didn’t make sense for it to be only the 3 even at higher volume if only in the performance model.

I kinda wanted white originally. However with the headliner being not black, I was ok enough to go with the black leather. Seeing the car in person also helped as well.
I ordered in April and was originally going to go aftermarket for white seats. After seeing black in person, not so sure as the black looks really nice. Going to be hard to justify $3K just for a color change.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I think that's what we'll do also.

SR won't be available until 2019 when the U.S. tax credit starts decreasing. Thus, LR and whatever options Tesla offers for delivery in 2018 are the only Model 3 versions that will receive a full credit. Only secondarily related to price.
This makes more sense that it's related to the timing not the price of the vehicle. Yes I think we're all in the same boat that we will be forced to buy long-range to get the better deal then lose half the tax credit next year for lower range

I ordered my PM3 with white. My spouse looked at the photo, I looked at the photo and we changed it to black. There were two reasons: 1. the white actually looks like Shamu, that is back and white, with a strange ceramic dash inset. 2. we suspect the black might be delivered more quickly.

Anyway, the black looks good and should be less prone to need special attention .

Any new pics of the white seats? I have come to terms with the fact that I will most likely not see an electric vehicle until 2020 here in Africa, and unless Tesla starts making 4x4 electric trucks, most South Africans will be buying Toyota/Ford bakkies (small trucks)

I desperately want to order the AWD Model 3 and am considering ordering now and doing the Tsportline upgrade. I actually like the look of the Tsportline seats better, so I actually prefer those seats more than the Tesla factory ones. The only bummer which we must all consider is that the Tsportline upgrade is seats only and not the white dash or white inserts on the doors. Does anyone know where those can be upgraded to white afterwards?

Also, I have a 2016 MX with white interior. We have 45,000 miles on it and I routinely drive with 5 messy kids, and the seats have held up amazingly. Better than black leather on a MX loaner I have right now with only 20,000 miles on it. I have no doubt that the OEM Tesla seats will be high durability, I haven't heard anything about the Tsportline durability though, has anyone heard about that too?

You are right he didn’t say specifically but I laid it how the math works. They won’t be selling 2000/week performance models (if we assumed 50/50 split with black/white interior) out of the 5000 produced a week.
The 3-4 months is what he seems to think is needed to increase supply production first. Even then I think it’s opened up to AWD and not first procuction.
Again it was my math as he stated they have enough for 1000/week and that didn’t make sense for it to be only the 3 even at higher volume if only in the performance model.
We'll just have to see. If the $7500 last until Q4, I will wait for White interior. If it only last through Q3, then I am going to pull the trigger as soon as it's available for configure.

I'm going to give up and get the AWD with the black interior. I'm a little annoyed that Tesla somehow couldn't get a supplier of white fabric even though they've had nearly a year (White interior was originally going to be available Fall 2017!). How is their supplier somehow able to provide plenty of black fabric but not able to switch over to white? I guess I know know nothing about the textile industry. haha
I'm a little suspicious that the delay is intentional to get some people to upgrade to the performance version who wouldn't have done so otherwise. I guess that's logical but it's still super annoying.
I guess it's possible that white will become available before my car goes into production (first day reservation) and I'll be able to switch. I just hope I get the full $7.5k.

Reactions: jsrawa and adaptabl
They are real leather not the fake stuff from the factory.
One thing I noticed regarding the TSportline white seats is that it appears from the pictures that the "vegan" option are bright white but the white leather is more of a muted white. Just something to keep in mind if you are seeking the bright white effect but looking at leather. This seems to be reflected in the name as synthetic is "Uber White" whereas the leather choice is "white."

More heat than in Houston TX?
Data point of one: with moderate tint, black textile has been FINE in my S for four years. And I hate to sweat!

Yeah, my family's originally from there. I'd never go back, but just cuz of the humidity. Actual heat's not so bad.

Weather here is more along the lines of Arizona (summers hit 115-120), and just slightly less than Vegas (120+). What sucks is you can't open your windows at night to cool things off because it's like over 90 degrees til midnight and 90 degrees again by 8 am. At least it's a dry heat though.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
They are real leather not the fake stuff from the factory.

I know every one has different favorites but fwiw I've had cars with supposedly very nice leather seats and I have found the model 3 'vegan' seats to actually be more comfortable - they are really smooth or something. It's a plus for me that it's not real leather actually and happily I do like them very much. As someone mentioned, the tinted roof does keep the interior cooler than you might guess for being glass though touch the glass on a bright day and you do feel it's pretty warm.

Wait what??? I don't get it how is the price of the vehicle determine if you get a full tax credit or not determine if you get a full tax credit or not? Tax credits are based on how much taxes you paid over the year and and how much tax liability you have all together. Please tell me how I am wrong.
I think you misunderstood me. The tax credit is determined by delivery date, not price. But if waiting for white interior causes me to have to wait for 2019 for my car, then the tax credit will be cut in half by that time.

Any new pics of the white seats? I have come to terms with the fact that I will most likely not see an electric vehicle until 2020 here in Africa, and unless Tesla starts making 4x4 electric trucks, most South Africans will be buying Toyota/Ford bakkies (small trucks)
From the configurator:
tesla-model-3-white-interior-21.jpg

Spy shots of test cars (may not be same as production):
screen-shot-2017-08-13-at-12-16-53-pm.png

tesla-model-3-white-seats-front-mountain-view-supercharger.jpg

tesla-model-3-white-interior-e1518485974791.jpg

tesla-model-3-shows-white-interior-options-looks-like-the-right-choice_2.jpg

tesla-model-3-white-interior-feb2018-e1519313313931.jpg

tesla-model-3-white-interior-2-feb2018.jpg

Heh. And I saw a white 3 with white seats months ago when I was in the Bay Area... Just before I got my invite to configure. I had no idea at that time that we would have to wait to get the white seats. Obviously it was a test mule, I just assumed an employee car when I saw it, since they were the only ones that had been invited to configure at that time.

Anyway, looks like I’m going to pass on my Model 3 order. :(

Don’t need another car at this time and I’ve found another solution to maximizing my tax credits/deductions I can use for this year. Will take a look at it again for next year but will probably wait and see if it’s worth converting the reservation to a Model Y reservation when that is revealed. Now possibly in March.

This thread should be a poll thread. I originally wanted black interior and the trim to be other than wood, but now I want white interior and the trim not to be wood. Currently, I'm able to configure (1st day line waiting, non-owner, east coast), but I'm not paying an extra $20K premium to get white interior and also 1 second less off of 0-60 MPH, among other things. $78K is just not affordable anymore. I'll hold out as long as I can to configure. I currently see delivery in 12-16 weeks, or about 3-4 months. Considering that it's now near the end of May, delivery at the end of August-September, I can try and wait just a little bit longer. I believe that currently, Tesla is shooting for July 1 for 200,000 vehicles delivered in US to maximum tax credit of $7,500. Now, if it turns out that the tax credit phase out is triggered earlier, I'll be forced to configure asap and take the car as is and swap out the materials later on. I just don't like to spend extra money when those types of materials should've come with the car without additional cost for such configuration.