Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior on the Model 3 in Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for cross-post, new to forums and didn't realise this thread existed. Trimming it a bit.

I am really disappointed by the lack of white-interior option in Australia.

As a day 1 Model 3 deposit holder, I’ve been waiting over 3 years for this car to become available. I imagine many others are in the same situation. And now, instead of being thanked for our patience (and long term unsecured deposit “loans”) we’re being offered less than those people who didn’t have to wait nearly as long.

Here in Australia we’re already disadvantaged by the AU:US exchange rate, shipping costs, our government’s lack of support for EV incentives, our luxury car tax, the extra delay due to being a RH-drive market… and now on top of all that we’re being penalised by Tesla itself, by way of reduced options.

I would never normally buy a new car. The Model 3 costs over 10 times what I would normally spend on a car. Further, as a premium vehicle, I expect it is likely to depreciate rapidly. Especially considering probable pricing changes into the future, Chinese production, and introduction of the Model Y. And so my intention would be to hold on to it for a long time. I am unlikely to be able to afford to trade it in on a new vehicle a year or two down the track. This would be my car for the next decade.

With an all-options P3D costing well over $100,000 I feel we should be able to get the same options as available elsewhere in the world. The Model 3 has a very plain interior, and I really think the performance version at least, needs a little something extra to differentiate it and make it seem like it is worth the amount that it costs. Base-model black does not cut it in my opinion. Simple things matter.

I've been a Tesla/SpaceX fan since the Roadster/Falcon1 days, and have been waiting and enthusing for so long for this. And now, finally having the means, and having committed to spend such a huge amount of money on personal transport, I want the best I can get.

Seat colour seems such a hideously first-world problem, but for now I'm holding off ordering until the white-interior is available for the P3D.
Otherwise I'll just be constantly annoyed at the dream :-/

Reactions: Hovean
Elon, time to fulfil our dreams of a white interior in the Model 3 IN OZ.

Your crazy quarter is over; lots of cars in-transit to customers; shipment number of cars is big; and it is time for the long term/loyal customers to get what they want......A Blue Model 3 performance, dual drive, loaded with WHITE interior...

By the way, the order distribution of white versus black interior for new orders would be 60:40 White, if you allowed the orders to happen
based on desire.......

So..... its July the second and still no news about WHITE interior....
First it was the waiting for the configuration to open...
Now it's the wait for the white interior....
After will be the waiting for the delivery...
Been waiting for so many years.....
I dont like to wait.

I don't think they'll add white until the first deliveries are locked in (September onwards). Otherwise they'll have a boatload of black interior Model 3's arrive and suddenly 50-70% of us will change or cancel our orders.

Huh? By all accounts of white interior Model 3 owners from the US, it is not any harder to keep the white interior clean than black interior. Unless you mean some other indirect costs... ??
No, if you want white model 3 in australia, you have to buy the more expensive version of model 3.
I have white in my model S. Fantastic. I’d pay more.....actually come to think of it I did.

• Funny
Reactions: baillies
No, if you want white model 3 in australia, you have to buy the more expensive version of model 3. I have white in my model S. Fantastic. I’d pay more.....actually come to think of it I did.
Er, OK, but the “more expensive” version of the Model 3 (or even the “most expensive”) is still significantly lower cost than the cheapest Model S.

This is the description of the white interior for the model 3 in the UK which as of 5 June IS AVAILABLE TO order this variation. We poor Aussies cannot I have two model 3s in backlog but will NOT order them without a white option

Come on Elon, treat us all equally

From model 3 UK design studio

Black and White interior includes our most premium materials, maximizing comfort and aesthetics while maintaining our rigorous standards for durability and stain resistance.
Tesla is fighting hard to keep it’s head above water, let’s not go all negative, there’s a ton of it already.

Tesla is fighting hard to keep it’s head above water, let’s not go all negative, there’s a ton of it already.
But it is hard to understand why white interior is available in UK and Ireland for LR AWD, but not here. And the buyer has to pay real bucks for it too, which presumably is at a profitable level for Tesla!

I would have thought therefore that adding more volume to the number of white interior RHD LR AWD improves Tesla’s economics, not make it worse. But what do I know...

But it is hard to understand why white interior is available in UK and Ireland for LR AWD, but not here. And the buyer has to pay real bucks for it too, which presumably is at a profitable level for Tesla!

I would have thought therefore that adding more volume to the number of white interior RHD LR AWD improves Tesla’s economics, not make it worse. But what do I know...

To me the simple answer is, white is production constrained not demand constrained. They made a mistake by offering white in UK to widely and apparently sold too many so had to delay for the rest of the RHD market. They seem to get an initial spike of demand for white that then settles so it doesn’t make sense to scale supply higher than the long term demand if they don’t have enough elasticity. Most of the decisions from Tesla appear to be related to production constraints, eg cells and white option. Remember that white was initially constrained in the US to P3D.