Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior on the Model 3 in Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the description of the white interior for the model 3 in the UK which as of 5 June IS AVAILABLE TO order this variation. We poor Aussies cannot I have two model 3s in backlog but will NOT order them without a white option

Come on Elon, treat us all equally

From model 3 UK design studio

Black and White interior includes our most premium materials, maximizing comfort and aesthetics while maintaining our rigorous standards for durability and stain resistance.

Yep. We just have to wait and see if it pops up on our Configurator. Maybe in July after the usual end-of-quarter-tax-credit-about-to-halve-we-need-to-max-out-USA-deliveries distraction and panic is over.

Although apparently Elon tweeted that limited options are going to be offered in “low volume markets” to simplify production. So who knows. I’m just gonna wait like lots of others here.

I get that we’re a low volume market. But, the cars are made in Fremont on the same line as every other Model 3. And, the seats are not LHD or RHD specific and even if they were, they are making white seats for the UK.

Not the first time Tesla has removed choice in the name of efficiency where the ROI gain is dubious. In the scheme of things, how much money has the company saved by eliminating silver paint? Are they getting better terms by increasing volumes on the remaining colours. I wonder if anyone has really modeled the costs/ benefits.

The whole thing feels token. And it assumes that revenues are not impacted by reduced choice.

I wonder if anyone has really modeled the costs/ benefits.
I would guess there is a dedicated team in Tesla doing exactly this. And these seemingly token market-offerings are driven by their model output based on input from sales, production, suppliers, and many tuneable assumptions. Enough people need to act to overturn one of those assumptions or something needs to change across sales, production or supplier model inputs.

I think the seemingly surprising Tesla pricing and market offerings are a side-effect of the new manufacturer to buyer relationship. In the old model of manufacturer-dealer-buyer, dealers acted as mediators that smooth out the inputs to the manufacturers, so you get less chaos because dealers drive sales by inventory on hand, steering buyers to options ("you don't want black, hard to keep clean" etc...), absorbing price changes (if a supplier bumps a component price, dealers can decide to hide that cost change by taking the profit or eating the loss). Dealing with the manufacturer directly you get their model driven choices raw and uncut. The new model is no longer moderated by the behaviour of (now missing) dealers.

I expect there is also considerable opportunities for margin squeeze or margin expansion for Tesla due to the change from build-to-order to build-to-stock (or in Tesla's case build-to-forecast). Tesla logistics people have the hardest job in the company :); and must be the chillest people on the planet or they all have worn-out punching bags in their cube-farm.

Getting white interior in Oz is likely a waiting game.

Coming from a supply chain background, limiting options in low volume markets saves resources, production time and spare parts distribution plus a range of other things that often the customer often just doesn’t appreciate.
When the cost benefits outway these constraints / costs it could be offered.

We all want Tesla to succeed and be viable so it this point in time they must maximise production and be consistently profitable else be taken over.

Order black if you want a car soon or wait and hope it becomes an Aussie option. No need to whinge about it. I wanted white too. But wifey prefers black so black it is

Keep the faith.

Last edited:
Coming from a supply chain background, limiting options in low volume markets saves resources, production time and spare parts distribution plus a range of other things that often the customer often just doesn’t appreciate.
When the cost benefits outway these constraints / costs it could be offered.

We all want Tesla to succeed and be viable so it this point in time they must maximise production and be consistently profitable else be taken over.

Order black if you want a car soon or wait and hope it becomes an Aussie option. No need to whinge about it. I wanted white too. But wifey prefers black so black it is

Keep the faith.
Not to kick a dead horse too much, @jjsyd made the correct point: the identical car, in the same factory is already being made (UK white) and it’s black clone shipped to the Aussie customer. So there is no incremental cost. And, as mentioned, charge more for it (say $1500). And everyone is happy

They are making the wrong business decision

Now. Sell us the car we want and move on

I am on my second S ( p85d first P100DL now). Two 3s with deposit, and a paid for founders series roadster. Do you as a supplier want to antagonise me?? A poor business decision indeed

I’m not a baby boomer and have 2 Tesla’s with a 3rd on the way as soon as Tesla put the white interior on the list....

I didn’t come from an overly wealthy family, had a public education....I attribute my good fortune mostly on hard work and a touch of good luck along the way....

If the current generations keeps blaming their financial situation on Baby Boomers they’ll never get anywhere....

Reactions: PDX-JP
Not to kick a dead horse too much, @jjsyd made the correct point: the identical car, in the same factory is already being made (UK white) and it’s black clone shipped to the Aussie customer. So there is no incremental cost.

I hear you about getting the option you want but I think you missed the point @Stevie_C was making. It's not about the production line, it's about everything after that. As he said, there's a bunch of things that the customer doesn't appreciate. White seats doubles the spare parts inventory, doubles the chances someone says "I want the other one" for an inventory car, etc. I hear you, I really do, but for now, you can have any colour you want... as long as it's black.

I get that we’re a low volume market. But, the cars are made in Fremont on the same line as every other Model 3. And, the seats are not LHD or RHD specific and even if they were, they are making white seats for the UK.

Not the first time Tesla has removed choice in the name of efficiency where the ROI gain is dubious. In the scheme of things, how much money has the company saved by eliminating silver paint? Are they getting better terms by increasing volumes on the remaining colours. I wonder if anyone has really modeled the costs/ benefits.

The whole thing feels token. And it assumes that revenues are not impacted by reduced choice.
I think the limited colour choice is to reduce time changing over in their paint shop. As far as I know (not very far) they only do a single colour in a long batch, then clean out and switch to the next colour for the next batch.

I'm holding off ordering until the white interior is available. It looks better IMO and I suspect it will be a little cooler to sit on when the sun's been bearing down on an empty car.

It's going to be the most popular Tesla sold in Australia in the next few years to come, so I'm not convinced by the "double the inventory" reasoning.

I'm holding off ordering until the white interior is available. It looks better IMO and I suspect it will be a little cooler to sit on when the sun's been bearing down on an empty car.

It's going to be the most popular Tesla sold in Australia in the next few years to come, so I'm not convinced by the "double the inventory" reasoning.
If you leave the aircon on whilst not in the car the seats dont get hot. One of the best features ever.

As much as it kills me - I asked Tesla to put my Model 3 order on hold until white seats are available. It is a lot of money to spend on a car and I would prefer the options I want (even if it takes longer).

We have 3 kids and the white seats in the model X are holding up better than the black seats in the model S. Counterintuitive but that is what we have found.

Model S is an older P85D. Seats look like they are made of black leather. Black seems to show up creases (from wear) and scuff marks where items I have put on the seats have scratched the surface.

The Model X seats seem to be a form of PVC? The white material is perforrated and thinner than leather and does not show up creases. It seems impervious to whatever the kids throw at it. 1.5 years later and the seats still look like new.

It may change after a few more years of course - just calling it at the moment.