Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White interior stained. Is it possible to order an oem seat cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite my best effort to stop my wife from placing her black bag on the white passenger seat, we now have a black stain that will not come out.

I’ve tried everything, it’s here to stay.

My question is, can I order an oem bottom seat cover and replace it? Should I keep check eBay? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I know, Tesla doesn't sell leather seat covers. I'd say check on amazon. Here are some great seat covers for model y and for the model 3 that don't cost a fortune. I can't seem to find one for a model X though so if you have a model X I'd just say look for something on ebay

I'm not sure whether Tesla sell just the seat cover. I say that because when I took delivery of M3P with white interior, I noticed a scratch on the front passenger leather. Tesla replaced the entire seat ($2K+); not just the leather for that part.

As Silicon stated above, many aftermarket option. Here is one. Choose Your Design - Select Interior | Katzkin. Good luck!
Same with me. On delivery, mine had a tear on the front passenger seat near the belt buckle area. Service said they had to replace the entire seat (bottom+back) as they could not just order the white seat bottom cover for the passenger side. I tried looking at Parts Catalog for part numbers to understand better and It only looks like there are 2 white seat related parts (the back and the bottom, but only for the driver side If I understand the diagrams)

You can get seats from Ebay.
Sometimes rarely the cover only.

Same with me. On delivery, mine had a tear on the front passenger seat near the belt buckle area. Service said they had to replace the entire seat (bottom+back) as they could not just order the white seat bottom cover for the passenger side. I tried looking at Parts Catalog for part numbers to understand better and It only looks like there are 2 white seat related parts (the back and the bottom, but only for the driver side If I understand the diagrams)
Tesla's parts catalog does show individual seat covers and pads, and they are sold as "over the counter (no VIN)". Tesla part new is often less expensive than used on eBay.com. However the covers are not easy to replace and can be easily damaged if done by someone unfamiliar with the removal/installation techniques. That's probably why Tesla Service swaps out the entire seat. There are YouTube.com videos detailing how to install leather covers on Model 3.

Buying aftermarket seat covers won't likely have the seat heaters included. The Tesla covers have heaters sewn in, so not easy to transfer heaters to new covers.

After market "seat covers" usually go over the stock seat. Thereby retaining the seat heaters. I have after market seat covers and all my seat heaters work.

Replacing the entire seat cushion with a used seat from Ebay is fully interchangeable, as I do it all the time.
Unplug old and plug in the replacement from Ebay.

If there's a faux leather item that replaces what Tesla provides, I'm not aware and that indeed is a trickier issue.
The aftermarket item would have to be identical and include the heater wires normally sewn into the underside of the stock Tesla faux leather and goes between it and the foam.

Just trying to make this more clear, not attacking anyone or anything posted herein.

I have replaced both my front seats with seats from Ebay. I'm talking about the bottom seat cushion here.
If I swap the whole seat cushion, cover, foam and everything as was built by Tesla, there's nothing lacking, no issues.

I've also swapped out the foam inside. As long as I move the seat sensor (this applies to driver's side only) from old foam to new foam, all the electrical capabilities remain the same and everything works as it should.
On the passenger front side, the seat sensor is under the cushion between it and the metal springs. So you don't have to move the sensor when replacing the foam inside the seat cover.

It is true that the Tesla Model 3 / Y seats have the heating elements sewn into the bottom side of the seat faux leather cover.

Interesting is that it may be "cheaper" to buy certain parts direct from Tesla catalog.
I've tried searching for a few parts of interest and could not find them on the catalog, and/or I couldn't see how I'd qualify to order directly.
Also, to order it appears you have to be approved as a legitimate service shop, sending in pictures of the shop etc.
Is there a way around this?

Thank you!

Sincerely,
George Borrelli

Last edited:
Reactions: chaika1904
Interesting is that it may be "cheaper" to buy certain parts direct from Tesla catalog.
I've tried searching for a few parts of interest and could not find them on the catalog, and/or I couldn't see how I'd qualify to order directly.
Also, to order it appears you have to be approved as a legitimate service shop, sending in pictures of the shop etc.
Is there a way around this?
You can use the public Tesla Parts Catalog to find part numbers for use in obtaining price quotes, or for parts ordering directly at a local Tesla Service Center. Parts may be available that are not listed in the public Tesla Parts Catalog. Quotes and purchases can also be done by using the Tesla App, by scheduling a Service Appointment with notes stating a request parts for a DIY install, along with part description, part numbers and quantities.

Why not try TESERY Tesla seat covers? TESERY focus on Tesla accessories, and providea premuim Tesla seat covers. You can go to the product details page through this link to learn more: Seat Covers for Tesla Model 3 / Model Y 2017-2023

Some pictures of the floor mats:
tesla seat covers 1.jpg

tesla_model_y_seat_covers_600x600.jpg

So I took delivery of my MYP this past January. Had the car for 2 weeks - took it in for service for faulty taillight. When I got it back from service, I noticed some parts of the stitching on the Driver Seat was yellowing… Coincidence? I thought not… Lol

I messaged Tesla through the App, sent them Video and Photo proof. They replied by informing me I probably used a High PH level cleaner and it caused the white stitching to change colour. (Note: In the 2 weeks of ownership, I never actually cleaned the car lol)

Nonetheless, since it was a new car, they said they would cover it and replace both “Front Seat Covers” on goodwill. Happy with the service so far. Let’s just see how long it takes for the parts to come in.

This leads me to believe that the Seats are in fact replaceable with OEM Tesla Seat Covers. I’d assume that the white leather pulls off somehow and the foam is kept? Not sure but can update on the progress.

From what I know the seat bottom is one assembly. You can order it from Tesla for $800.
I bought a used one in good shape on ebay for $200. I got lucky. I bought it to build custom seat.

Good ones might sell up to $400 or more.
If you have the money buy new.
If not. Consider used.

Cheaper options include seat covers. There are good ones out there.

I do quite a lot of Tesla seat mods.

Yes,
The faux leather does pull off the foam, I do that all the time.
I don’t think Tesla will.
They will replace the entire seat bottom above the seat metal frame.

I misread and didn’t but now I realize you will be getting a new one from Tesla. That’s good fortune.

I haven’t seen them fall apart as you described.

Last edited:
From what I know the seat bottom is one assembly. You can order it from Tesla for $800.
I bought a used one in good shape on ebay for $200. I got lucky. I bought it to build custom seat.

Good ones might sell up to $400 or more.
If you have the money buy new.
If not. Consider used.

Cheaper options include seat covers. There are good ones out there.

I do quite a lot of Tesla seat mods.

Yes,
The faux leather does pull off the foam, I do that all the time.
I don’t think Tesla will.
They will replace the entire seat bottom above the seat metal frame.

I misread and didn’t but now I realize you will be getting a new one from Tesla. That’s good fortune.

I haven’t seen them fall apart as you described.
Hi George, I was considering changing the seat color on my MX by replacing the seat cushions (front seats, leaving ide bolsters/air bags alone). It looks like you have done this - is the removal and installation straightforward? Is there a video on this or could you describe what would be involved? Many thanks in advance!

Hi George, I was considering changing the seat color on my MX by replacing the seat cushions (front seats, leaving ide bolsters/air bags alone). It looks like you have done this - is the removal and installation straightforward? Is there a video on this or could you describe what would be involved? Many thanks in advance!

The Model X is similar to the Model 3 /Y but not exactly the same. The metal seat base that does the heavy lifting and moving and such is the same among all the Tesla models since the 2017 refresh of the Model S..

The Model X and S seem to be similar if not the same.

I posted a number of videos on YouTube on my channel "George Borrelli"

It's not that difficult. I think if you can do an oil, filter, air filter change yourself, you can too can do this.

Watch my videos and then if you have questions, chase me down.

Sincerely,
George Borrelli
Crystal River, Florida

@Georgesb2 from what I can see you may be the global expert on Tesla seats! Quick question, I have a stained seat (back and seat) and purchased an excellent condition full seat off ebay. I know I can easily remove the seat cover. Can I easily remove and swap the back cover too? Can find any pictures or videos of the back cover being removed. Thanks in advance

@Georgesb2 from what I can see you may be the global expert on Tesla seats! Quick question, I have a stained seat (back and seat) and purchased an excellent condition full seat off ebay. I know I can easily remove the seat cover. Can I easily remove and swap the back cover too? Can find any pictures or videos of the back cover being removed. Thanks in advance
If you purchased the entire seat, including the metal frame, you should be able to unplug the stock seat and replace the entire seat assembly. I'm assuming the new seat comes with everything.

If you just bought the cushions, you can swap.
However the top cushion includes the side impact airbag.

You can remove the cover and swap on most Tesla seats.
I had videos on my channel where I cover most of it. Search my full name. I don't like posting my own videos because I'll get accused of "self promoting". I'll also look around for others.
Other than working around the airbag, it's not difficult.

If you do change the seat upper / back, I've read that powering down the entire car is a good safety measure.

I did mostly seat bottoms.
For my mods to the seat top/back, I remove the headrest, remove the rear panel, change the lumbar support, add foam.

For the seat bottoms:
I pull the seat bottom off the car's metal seat frame. Again I posted videos on how to do that.

The seat "covers", that I call the "OEM faux leather covers", to differentiate from aftermarket "seat covers". They can be swapped. Tesla uses two attachments. Along the sides is Velcro. In the horizonal seams are "snaps". You just need to be careful not to rip the snaps out of the foam base. But it's easier to just swap the entire unit, OEM faux leather covers and the foam base together (if you bought it that way).

There are typically two connectors in the seat base that goes to the seat harness.
For the top there may also be two, one for the seat heater and one for the Side Impact Air Bag. (The person in seat sensor is in the seat bottom only)

Again disconnect everything and make certain you don't have electric static charge. Take precautions near air bags.

Videos I could find:
Look up my channel by searching my full name.
Here's a guy that removed the seat back only:
This guy shows how to power down:
Headrest removal:
This is the most complete video showing how to totally take apart the seat:

In the last video around the three minute mark or so, you can see that the seat top cushion is held on very similarly to the seat bottom cushion. There are clips in the OEM faux leather cover that clip to the metal frame.

If it were me, I'd just buy seat covers. There are some really nice ones out there.....

Reactions: OK-S
Thanks George. Kind of you to take so much time. It sounds like the real option is either do nothing or swap the entire seat. I wouldn't do it myself. I'd get a local garage to do it. My only reticence was damage on getting the seat out and in but perhaps I have to take that risk. Thanks again