Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White leather Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason it is fake leather is because there are quite a few vegans/vegetarians out there (watch the last annual meeting) requesting this option. I'm not sure why they chose white, maybe because it was the best looking option or because they needed a white version in contrast of the black.

• Love
Reactions: TheAustin
During my pick up, I was allowed to check out an X that was being prepped that had the black leather, while mine had the white. The white seats are definitely softer. I wouldn't say that the black seats weren't comfortable, but the suppleness of the white seats feel like I am being hugged. :p Durability long term is to be seen, but I've already had a case where some leaves that were stuck to the back of my shirt left a a stain/streak on the seats that had sat over night before I noticed. Took a paper towel wet w/ water and it came right out with zero effort, so that's encouraging.

Elon himself tweeted "Can't emphasize enough that white is the best interior. " So while some may balk that it's not real leather, it seems for all intents and purposes, it is the superior option albeit w/ the caveat that if you've got small kids, perhaps it's a gamble even w/ the stain resistant properties. If I had the option of the fake leather but in black, I would have selected that in a heartbeat (I've a 1 year old daughter).

• Helpful
Reactions: loganintx
Most highend luxury car manufactures have vegan options as an alternative to leather. Whether leather or vegan alternative all have issue with the transfer of the die from bluejeans. I learned this the hard way many years ago on a new jaguar. It is best to coat the seats with a treatment before use and get pre washed jeans. I keep a towel in the trunk just in case I have a passenger with deep blue or black jeans. It is almost impossible to get the die out of the seats. It is worth while in getting a good quality leather coating treatment.

I find my my tan leather to be very supple, soft and comfortable.

I know there is one known issue with the white vegan material. There has been reports of the seats cracking when large or heavy individuals sit in the seats. I am not sure what Tesla is doing to correct the problem.

Reactions: CQuartz Finest
I wonder if I should get some additional third-party stain treatment? The material is supposed to be pre-treated out of the factory; theoretically, this is why the ‘Stain-Resistant Ultra White’ synthetic leather costs the same ($2,500) in the configurator as the *real* leather available in tan or black.

Unfortunately, I really dislike the look of both of the other options; white is just *too sexy* to turn down … I hope I can figure out a way to maintain that look over the coming years!

Confirming that the initial reason stated for white synthetic leather in Tesla marketing material was that it was easier to clean. Subsequent to launch there was a flurry of media coverage promoting the vegan friendly benefits. Early owners are reporting problems with cracking and Tesla has said they will redesign the seat backing to address the problem.

A dark interior is hard for me to operate in. Things that fall on the floor disappear. A white interior brightens the world, but causes every blemish to show up. My selection will be toward Tan- not black/white but something in-between.
Beside, a black interior in the desert is just plain nuts...[how is that old yarn go?...only newcomers and fools do that]

I wonder if I should get some additional third-party stain treatment? The material is supposed to be pre-treated out of the factory; theoretically, this is why the ‘Stain-Resistant Ultra White’ synthetic leather costs the same ($2,500) in the configurator as the *real* leather available in tan or black.

Unfortunately, I really dislike the look of both of the other options; white is just *too sexy* to turn down … I hope I can figure out a way to maintain that look over the coming years!

Black and tan are acceptable but really wish they would have retained the grey from the S. I probably would have selected the grey with my Blue X but ultimately went with the white.

Confirming that the initial reason stated for white synthetic leather in Tesla marketing material was that it was easier to clean. Subsequent to launch there was a flurry of media coverage promoting the vegan friendly benefits. Early owners are reporting problems with cracking and Tesla has said they will redesign the seat backing to address the problem.
Where are you reading these reports of cracking white interiors? I've seen a few reports of punctures on some, but no cracks. Please share a link. Thanks.

Where are you reading these reports of cracking white interiors? I've seen a few reports of punctures on some, but no cracks. Please share a link. Thanks.

I thought they had recalled those / re-formulated it, and Musk had personally said that any cracking white-faux-leather interiors would be upgraded / replaced at no charge?

I'd drop you the link but I can't remember where I saw this. Am I hallucinating it? :x