Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White on White Interior Waiting is pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTF - there are so many of us, why the HELL aren't these cars being produced?

From what I understand — when M3 orders hit their stride and they couldn't keep up with production, they abandoned the “build to order” model for a tried and true “build to inventory” model.

They just make a big batch of common configs without regard to custom orders — effectively making the white on white NON-performance model the “unicorn” it is today.

I mean, only a complete moron would order a white, non-performance car.....am I right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, only a complete moron would order a white, non-performance car.....am I right?
Yep, you are right (just ask my wife), I'm a moron and enjoying every minute driving my white on white 3MR.
m0154.gif

I placed my order for SR+ white/white 19" on 5/11; on 5/15 I changed it to LR RWD white/white 19" since it it now includes AP and only cost $6400 more. Went back/forth with multiple advisors and tesla center and finally got the pricing and loan settled. I received my MVPA this morning and Vin 336XXX assigned to me with delivery date of 5/22, but I could technically pick it up 5/18 if I'm able to get the loan done by tomorrow.
I'm shocked how fast it it took after reading about all the wait-times for the white/white on the forum.
Wish me luck nothing is wrong with the car so I wont have to turn it down.

I placed my order for SR+ white/white 19" on 5/11; on 5/15 I changed it to LR RWD white/white 19" since it it now includes AP and only cost $6400 more. Went back/forth with multiple advisors and tesla center and finally got the pricing and loan settled. I received my MVPA this morning and Vin 336XXX assigned to me with delivery date of 5/22, but I could technically pick it up 5/18 if I'm able to get the loan done by tomorrow.
I'm shocked how fast it it took after reading about all the wait-times for the white/white on the forum.
Wish me luck nothing is wrong with the car so I wont have to turn it down.

There do seem to be a few RWDs floating around. Ive been offered one or two myself but ended up holding out for AWD — I might be crazy but I do a ton of driving in all kinds of midwest weather.

Best of luck!

From what I understand — when M3 orders hit their stride and they couldn't keep up with production, they abandoned the “build to order” model for a tried and true “build to inventory” model.

They just make a big batch of common configs without regard to custom orders — effectively making the white on white NON-performance model the “unicorn” it is today.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No it’s build to order, There is a build sheet hanging on each car.
Take a tour watch a line video, and see.
All different colors and configurations are coming down the line.
It’s all orchestrated and scheduled.
They line them up in the yard a mix of all colors and configurations.
Logistics are a black art and Tesla is a master.

But you are competing with:
1. Reservations, although most have been filled and
2. Regional Sales quotas per center.

400 cars NOT spoken for hit the inventory shelves this week alone.

As a customer with a custom order they Already have your money.
Now they are prowling for walk ins off the street.

The majority will get matched with in stock lot inventory.
If you can’t wait, The rest will have their arms twisted to take a different configuration..

Some are even begging for a demo or a car 1 Year out of date (2018)
All to save a few bucks up front.
Buy it, a day later total it, and get socked with 2 year worth of depreciation. Nice
Happened to me that’s how I know and gap insurance is your friend.

All Added together outside of those who reserved one at the model 3 announcement
The average wait time is still two weeks.

The lemmings (me/us) will patiently wait...and wait....and wait some more.
With Detroit that can also take a month or two for an order.

It’s a contractors answer: When will it be ready, two weeks......

No communication, because you’re not ready for the truth
No compensation because it’s a sellers market.

27 Performance models hit the lot inventory a week ago and the majority of those where white interiors.

Not harder to make
There are No shortages
There will be No explanations
You will get no Apologies

And when you get yours you will agree, it’s really a nice car.

I placed my order on 4/10 for a MS SR+ with white interior to lock in the price. Had to postpone delivery since I was out of the country. Upon arriving back in the states and hearing that all SR models are basically SR+ with a sw locked battery, I immediately tried to get in contact with Tesla to change my order. Well, after 3 weeks it's finally changed to White/white SR. Only problem is I see 6-8weeks for delivery for the past two weeks.

I planned on getting white on white performance one month ago based on the 2 week premise. I ordered April 3rd and still nothing from Tesla besides an offer day after my order for a white on white performance 2018 with a dent and 2000 miles ( I said no thanks even with a 5k discount)
I will continue to wait because everyone raves about the car. Hopefully soon

fingers crossed as i’m scheduled for delivery in NJ tomorrow. i ordered an SR+ white on white, 19 inch wheels with FSD about 4 weeks ago. the car actually delivered a couple of days early according to the DA but couldn’t get there because i was traveling. my only concern now is the quality of the build as it’s an april baby...

Reactions: xasroma
I planned on getting white on white performance one month ago based on the 2 week premise. I ordered April 3rd and still nothing from Tesla besides an offer day after my order for a white on white performance 2018 with a dent and 2000 miles ( I said no thanks even with a 5k discount)
I will continue to wait because everyone raves about the car. Hopefully soon
You made the right call. At these price points, you should get what you want. Tesla doesn’t understand the customer satisfaction business yet.

Reactions: xasroma
No it’s build to order, There is a build sheet hanging on each car.
Take a tour watch a line video, and see.
All different colors and configurations are coming down the line.
It’s all orchestrated and scheduled.
They line them up in the yard a mix of all colors and configurations.
Logistics are a black art and Tesla is a master.

But you are competing with:
1. Reservations, although most have been filled and
2. Regional Sales quotas per center.

400 cars NOT spoken for hit the inventory shelves this week alone.

As a customer with a custom order they Already have your money.
Now they are prowling for walk ins off the street.

The majority will get matched with in stock lot inventory.
If you can’t wait, The rest will have their arms twisted to take a different configuration..

Some are even begging for a demo or a car 1 Year out of date (2018)
All to save a few bucks up front.
Buy it, a day later total it, and get socked with 2 year worth of depreciation. Nice
Happened to me that’s how I know and gap insurance is your friend.

All Added together outside of those who reserved one at the model 3 announcement
The average wait time is still two weeks.

The lemmings (me/us) will patiently wait...and wait....and wait some more.
With Detroit that can also take a month or two for an order.

It’s a contractors answer: When will it be ready, two weeks......

No communication, because you’re not ready for the truth
No compensation because it’s a sellers market.

27 Performance models hit the lot inventory a week ago and the majority of those where white interiors.

Not harder to make
There are No shortages
There will be No explanations
You will get no Apologies

And when you get yours you will agree, it’s really a nice car.

Some interesting thoughts, but Elon himself has clearly stated that the M3, unlike the S/X , is a build to inventory model, in batches by configuration. Sales support staff I have spoken to say the same thing. How large these batches are, I don’t know, but based on different geographical requirements, it is a quarterly cycle. The first month of the quarter, being for Europe and other export markets. Now they have also introduced RHD models.
After they are built they assign a VIN and ship. Can’t confirm, but they do seem to ship some extra inventory along with sold vehicles to get some regional distribution of inventory. They are building for North America now. I think if all of us waiting for white interior can chill for a few weeks, I suspect most of our orders will be filled. Come July, it will be slim pickings for less common configurations again.

I ordered my white interior March 2nd. It did not make the first quarter production cycle, so odds are good it will make the second cycle just starting to deliver now.

Reactions: xasroma and sm715
You missed his sarcasm man, he has w on w on order, lol.
Oh, I appreciated his sarcasm, you just missed my humorous repertoire retort (but he didn't).
I’d argue this model and all white interiors have the longest wait right now.
I hear you, I waited 994 days for mine. It started driving me crazier during the wait. But now that I have it, I am sane again.
t2803.gif

Reactions: M3totms
I officially gave up. i am also not patient at all. canceled my white on white and took a midnight silver on white (my second choice) got a vin assigned right away as there was one in the region that is being shipped here, will have it in 5 days!
i have no idea how people waited 3 years, kuddos to you!