TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

White Paint Bumper mismatch

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by pipplo, Apr 30, 2018.

1. phtp

phtp Member

It's true. You need a body shop to actually blend it to make it match.

2. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

Our VIN's are 19,000 and 85,000, both are Pearl White and both show very good color matching. To the point that not even a perfectionist is going to notice it. Who are these people who obsess over ridiculous things? I don't think the products of any other car companyy have been so thoroughly analyzed for the smallest, most inconsequential flaw as if they were appraising the world's most valuable diamond.

But actually, the world's most valuable diamonds all have numerous visible flaws and these are acceptable because they don't detract from the overall enjoyment of the stone.

3. Amateurguru

Amateurguru New Member

Glad yours looks ok. Look at my picture. Mine doesn’t look even close to fine. This is not an inconsequential flaw but a stupid mistake that makes an amazing car look like an amateur project car.

4. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Yours is off more than most. Changes quite a bit with the lighting as well. You took a good shot with the sun at the right angle to highlight the difference. They are all off a bit even the ones that look perfect in most lighting situations. Mine was off a bit then I got gently rear ended at 9 days old. The 3 stage repaint on the bumper ata Tesla certified body shop was a better match than the stock paint.

5. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Could you explain the up close pictures? They seem to show the color matching. As an FYI, I also have a white M3 and have observed the following: the paint does match, but the texture of the bumper causes light to reflect differently depending on the angle you obeserve at. It can give the appearance the paint doesn’t quite match, although moving to a different angle changes the look. The effect is amplified on camera. Repainiting the bumper is not going to fix this.

• Like x 1
  6. Amateurguru

Amateurguru New Member

Those are not mine so I can’t explain much about them. I took the car to the delivery center and there we looked at 3-4 white model 3s they had there. Even the center’s supervisor agreed mine doesn’t match. The other cars seemed fine.

7. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Bummer. Hopefully a repaint will help then. Good luck!

8. Amateurguru

Amateurguru New Member

Thanks. Crossing my fingers. Driving the car back to the delivery center was fun.

9. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Mine is clearly a different color, because I can see some overspray on the frunk hood when I look close. Since they repainted part of mine mine due to delivery issues they told me it was within spec and I need to accept it.

The things we put up with to own these amazing cars...

I typically find this unacceptable on a 30k car let alone a near 80k car.

10. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

Looks like it’s missing a layer of the pearl coat as that layer darkens the finish like on the body of the car