Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Paint Bumper mismatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My VIN is 108XXX. My bumper is not perfect, but very close in colour. Good enough for me.

Our VIN's are 19,000 and 85,000, both are Pearl White and both show very good color matching. To the point that not even a perfectionist is going to notice it. Who are these people who obsess over ridiculous things? I don't think the products of any other car companyy have been so thoroughly analyzed for the smallest, most inconsequential flaw as if they were appraising the world's most valuable diamond.

But actually, the world's most valuable diamonds all have numerous visible flaws and these are acceptable because they don't detract from the overall enjoyment of the stone.

Glad yours looks ok. Look at my picture. Mine doesn’t look even close to fine. This is not an inconsequential flaw but a stupid mistake that makes an amazing car look like an amateur project car.

Yours is off more than most. Changes quite a bit with the lighting as well. You took a good shot with the sun at the right angle to highlight the difference. They are all off a bit even the ones that look perfect in most lighting situations. Mine was off a bit then I got gently rear ended at 9 days old. The 3 stage repaint on the bumper ata Tesla certified body shop was a better match than the stock paint.

Adding a data point here. This one was built on 12/18. Delivered today and returned to delivery center. They will replace the bumper. The supervisor told me that she “can’t guarantee replacing the bumper will make it look any better.”
Could you explain the up close pictures? They seem to show the color matching. As an FYI, I also have a white M3 and have observed the following: the paint does match, but the texture of the bumper causes light to reflect differently depending on the angle you obeserve at. It can give the appearance the paint doesn’t quite match, although moving to a different angle changes the look. The effect is amplified on camera. Repainiting the bumper is not going to fix this.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Could you explain the up close pictures? They seem to show the color matching. As an FYI, I also have a white M3 and have observed the following: the paint does match, but the texture of the bumper causes light to reflect differently depending on the angle you obeserve at. It can give the appearance the paint doesn’t quite match, although moving to a different angle changes the look. The effect is amplified on camera. Repainiting the bumper is not going to fix this.

Those are not mine so I can’t explain much about them. I took the car to the delivery center and there we looked at 3-4 white model 3s they had there. Even the center’s supervisor agreed mine doesn’t match. The other cars seemed fine.

Mine is clearly a different color, because I can see some overspray on the frunk hood when I look close. Since they repainted part of mine mine due to delivery issues they told me it was within spec and I need to accept it.

The things we put up with to own these amazing cars...

I typically find this unacceptable on a 30k car let alone a near 80k car.

Reviving this thread, curious if any one who previously posted with mismatched Pearl White paint have it corrected.

Did you take it back to Tesla SC? Did the SC repainted or replaced the paint-mismatched panel?

I have a late Pearl White 2019 Model X with mismatched rear bumper paint, seems "WHITER" shade of than the rest of the body.

Reviving this thread, curious if any one who previously posted with mismatched Pearl White paint have it corrected.

Did you take it back to Tesla SC? Did the SC repainted or replaced the paint-mismatched panel?

I have a late Pearl White 2019 Model X with mismatched rear bumper paint, seems "WHITER" shade of than the rest of the body.
I had a slightly mismatched rear bumper. After getting a new bumper with paint from an accident, it looks perfect now.

Reactions: RoBoRaT

I had it corrected by the tesla service center about 1.5 years ago right after I took delivery of my 3. It looks much better now but not as good as some of the more recent builds I’ve seen.

Hi all, sorry for reviving this old thread..long time lurker.. picked up a m3 a few weeks ago that I then unfortunately backed into a metal pole in the garage with.

I had the SC replace my rear bumper and I do notice some mismatch depending on the angle. I wanted to get y’all’s thoughts on how bad this is. The OCD in me wants to see if the SC body shop can do better, but having previously owned a pearl white car before, I know paint mismatches are part of the experience.

here are some pics in different lighting.

JDWLMNf

Last edited by a moderator:
Well one surface is molded plastic and the other is metal and they were painted at different times so, depending upon how finicky one wants to get there will probably never be exactly the same. The color white compounds the problem because it takes on (reflects) the colors around it and the angles between the two parts vary as the surfaces are curved.

Is it a perfect match? Hard to say from photos but I would assume not.
Is anyone going to notice? No.
Would I lose a minute of sleep over it? No.
Would I focus on things in my life that actually matter to my personal happiness and sense of fulfillment? Yes.