Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Paint Bumper mismatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m at 74xxx with a slightly mismatched rear bumper and a minor scuff in the plastic on the front which Tesla has said they’ll replace if I wanted... I’ve been debating the fix or just leaving it. My take is that it will be a Pandora’s box of problems trying to fix it... so I’m leaving it. If the factory paint is lousy, I can’t imagine a local paint shop being any better. Not worth it to me for the back and forth aggravation. But it is heartbreaking that we have to make these kind of choices on our cars since they should come perfect from the factory.

I don't know about leaving it alone. What if you decide you need to sell the car in a few years and every one that comes to look/buy it thinks it was in an accident because of the mismatched paint. I think I would get it fixed.

I really wonder why they decided to design the rear end like they did. Why does the bumper have to come up the the tail light? I’m sure there was a reason but it’s the first time I have encountered on a sedan. If the bumper just had a horizontal line like most cars I don’t think this issue would be as big as it is.

Or just give us a white paint option without pearl. I would be ok with that as well.

If the factory paint is lousy, I can’t imagine a local paint shop being any better. Not worth it to me for the back and forth aggravation. But it is heartbreaking that we have to make these kind of choices on our cars since they should come perfect from the factory.

If the local paint shop has a great painter then it'll look better in my opinion. A human can adjust as needed, then paint corrected by colour sanding and buffing by the detailer. Most OEM paint you'll see orange peel and I see it as well on the model 3 from pictures that people post.

1018F0B3-F552-4EFB-BF87-BFEF6FB3AE2A.jpeg
4B9DF491-ED18-4B57-BE2D-E862CCEBC42C.jpeg
AE57A2A6-3678-432C-A972-5CCC1486B0AC.jpeg
Can you post a pic? Here’s a few more I just took in the morning light at different angles

Last edited:
Do your bumpers (front and rear) have clear bra from Tesla? I took delivery yesterday and my white M3's bumpers seem to have protective film on it. I wonder if they have some kind of film with matching color and stick it on top of the non-matching bumpers to make the color match? o_O

front_bumper.JPG
rear_bumper.JPG

Looks good can you post a pic with direct sun on it when you have a chance?

Mine does not have a film on it. Pretty cool if you got a clear bra installed from fremont

IMG_8149.JPG
Looks good can you post a pic with direct sun on it when you have a chance?

Mine does not have a film on it. Pretty cool if you got a clear bra installed from fremont

Do your bumpers (front and rear) have clear bra from Tesla? I took delivery yesterday and my white M3's bumpers seem to have protective film on it. I wonder if they have some kind of film with matching color and stick it on top of the non-matching bumpers to make the color match? o_O

View attachment 330430 View attachment 330432
Yes! I have the same thing on the front. No idea what it is though.