Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Paint Bumper mismatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried peeling or lifting the clear film? So on the edges without the film does it look like it still match ?

Hmmm no. It seems fine with it on, not going to mess with it. My coworker saw it and think it could be a vinyl wrap that matched the paint to cover up the not matching paint below. But it seems too thin to be vinyl wrap. It looks very much like 3m clear bra to me. My vin is 967XX. Aug 2018 build. AWD.

I’ve never seen any white car with a perfect paint match between the metal and the plastic flexible bumper cap. The paint used is slightly different. The paint that’s used on the flexible bumper cap surface contains an elastomeric flex additive. This prevent the paint from cracking under minor bumper flex.
I have both a pearl white Model 3 and a pearl white Ford Escape. Both bumpers are every so slightly different from the metal body panels. This changes in different light conditions as well as the viewing angle. From some angles it looks better than from other angles. Same with different lighting. It actually reflects differently.
Personally for me it would have to be pretty bad (like when my Model 3 got rear ended at 9 days old) to even think about repainting the bumpers. Repaints just don’t last as well, weather quicker and chip easier than the factory paint.

I agree with repaints, rather have factory paint, bonds best and has the best longevity.

I am in LA, white is pretty popular, most I see matches.

Even in my model 3 the front is slightly off but just casually looking it doesn’t really jump out as much as the rear. I was really hoping they got this down by now, but I knew when I ordered it that there was a very high chance it may not. I was hoping the extra layer of paint meant stricter QC. For now I will live with it as is.

I have no idea if it’s a film or another layer of paint. There is a noticeable line at the edges of the bumper cover though. My VIN is 319xx

Is it a straight line across the whole bumper? The picture Need posted looks like a run in the clearcoat (too much clearcoat was sprayed). Not sure about when it comes from the factory, but this is common when painting from body shops. Detailers are supposed to fix this afterwards.

Is it a straight line across the whole bumper? The picture Need posted looks like a run in the clearcoat (too much clearcoat was sprayed). Not sure about when it comes from the factory, but this is common when painting from body shops. Detailers are supposed to fix this afterwards.

It is not straight everywhere. At the corners it is easier to see that it looks like film. I took a few more pics this morning with a real camera not my phone.

carfilm1.JPG
carfilm2.JPG
carfilm3.JPG

It is not straight everywhere. At the corners it is easier to see that it looks like film. I took a few more pics this morning with a real camera not my phone.

View attachment 330646 View attachment 330647 View attachment 330648

Best guess at this point because it's still hard to see in pictures. To me, it looks like a combination of painting tape edge or defect in the bumper and clear coat runs in some sections. Have you brought it to the SC and have them look at it?

Best guess at this point because it's still hard to see in pictures. To me, it looks like a combination of painting tape edge or defect in the bumper and clear coat runs in some sections. Have you brought it to the SC and have them look at it?

Not going to bring it in for that. Honestly I can't see it unless I am like 6 inches from the bumper. I am going to put 30,000 miles a year on it and by the 3rd year there will be chips and dings all over it anyway.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D and phtp
I can attest to this. The shop they took it to has 0 reviews. Cracked my charge port. Horrible Paint matching job. Attached it worse.

Telsa finally got back. I got approved for a bumper replacement. We'll see....ergela's looks great and honestly that's what I expected to get back weeks ago.

Is it even possible to get a factory painted bumper shipped to the service Centre? I took delivery of my AWD two days ago, and it came with 3 paint defects. I really want to have factory paint rather than a repaint.

View attachment 330647

I got my car last week and I have the exact lines you were talking about in picture number 2. That's part of the bumper and not much could be done about it, unless they sand it down and smooth out the plastic, then repaint.

My bumper has been painted 3 times in the past 3 weeks, and they are trying for a 4th time. Each time they said it was so mismatched they didn't even need me to check. Two different autobody shops have already tried to match the colour.

If I had known it was rocket science to match the colour on a pearl white car, I would have bought a different colour. If I ever get into an accident, colour matching will be a disaster. Really regretting this choice.

• Informative
Reactions: thebigbobowski
Adding a data point here. This one was built on 12/18. Delivered today and returned to delivery center. They will replace the bumper. The supervisor told me that she “can’t guarantee replacing the bumper will make it look any better.”

Attachments

• B45F2241-646A-4B02-B5E9-097C45FDDF7A.jpeg
    B45F2241-646A-4B02-B5E9-097C45FDDF7A.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 91