Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White paint question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did Tesla only paint the outside of the white car with the pearl. When you open doors you can see the white paint but it’s different than the pearl. Like when you open doors it’s pretty obvious. I assume it’s not just my model Y. You would think the whole car would be painted the same. If a car were red, it would be painted inside red so I don’t understand why the outside of the car is pearl and the inside sections that are painted are stark white

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Yes. Mine has a faint pearl effect on the door pillars etc but definitely not to the extent of the exterior surfaces.

Every automaker does this. The non exterior facing surfaces are often not finished to the same quality to save on paint cost for areas not usually seen and scrutinized. Things like pearl/metallic coats and even clear coats are skipped completely or done only lightly. Some areas might even just be primer (eg under the rear shelf in Model 3 trunk).

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Yes. Mine has a faint pearl effect on the door pillars etc but definitely not to the extent of the exterior surfaces.

Every automaker does this. The non exterior facing surfaces are often not finished to the same quality to save on paint cost for areas not usually seen and scrutinized. Things like pearl/metallic coats and even clear coats are skipped completely or done only lightly. Some areas might even just be primer (eg under the rear shelf in Model 3 trunk).
Good to know. Thanks for the explanation