Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White paint regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As if a darker car would look better? :)
I have a grey car, and my wife has a white one, both look awful when dirty. I had a black loaner last week, and it was horrible. I swear I couldn't tell it was black when they gave it to me full of salt.

I will let you be judge at what's hiding in the picture. Mud hiding white car. Or white car hiding mud.:D

IMG_20180219_123456_748.jpg

We are in San Diego, CA but still love our white. Hint, it only shows dust, dirt, mud, etc., if you do not keep it washed, lol.

With my previous car I just told everyone who said anything about washing it that this is my state-of-the-art anti-theft security system. After all, who would want to steal and old dirty car. ;)

Reactions: BrokerDon
Mine is multi-coat white and I have NO regrets at all.

There is only one other colour I really like in the Model S and it is Blue but I don't think my car looks any worse than the next guy in the winter. When it has gotten really dirty, I simply go to the coin car wash and spray it down with the high pressure rinse and although it is not sparkling clean, it is acceptable.

Black shows dirt the worst. White isn't that bad.

Silver is your friend if you're trying to minimize the appearance of a dirty car.

Or...you could wash it. For $800/year you can wash your car every day (not that you would) with Petro Canada Wash Passes. They're $180 for 90 days. Get one and if your spouse also has a car, wash your cars 2x per week each and after 90 days you've had 50 washes for $3.60 each, and depending on your work, you may be able to write the cost off. Use the touchless option and you're golden.

Easy decision.

Find some grey turbines for your white car and you're laughing.

My old car (attached)
20171014_181702-jpg.281932

Attachments

• 20171014_181702.jpg
    20171014_181702.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Silver hides dirt best but is boring.
White shows the lines of the car best Imo.
Everything sucks in winter.

I absolutely agree. I’ve got the pearl white multicoat paint and I think it is the best looking factory paint job that you can get on the Model S today. It gets dirty driving through a Canadian winter, but so do all of the others. Silver might hide it a little better...but then you have to drive a silver car.

Black shows dirt the worst. White isn't that bad.

Silver is your friend if you're trying to minimize the appearance of a dirty car.

Or...you could wash it. For $800/year you can wash your car every day (not that you would) with Petro Canada Wash Passes. They're $180 for 90 days. Get one and if your spouse also has a car, wash your cars 2x per week each and after 90 days you've had 50 washes for $3.60 each, and depending on your work, you may be able to write the cost off. Use the touchless option and you're golden.

Agreed. Washing your car is the best solution to this problem (especially if you’re somewhere like we are where they salt the roads like crazy during the winter). I don’t wash my car enough to get the 90 day pass, but I bought a prepaid card from PetroCan (currently on sale until some time in March, cost me 48 bucks for 6 washes).

Silver seems to be best for "hiding" dirt. White looks great when it's immaculately cleaned - when I had a white car I would wash it and then find dirty streaks when I put polarized sunglasses on during sunny days. I spent lots of extra time looking from different angles and rewashing although I would think not too many people would see the problem. Now I've got red and wash it when I can - love it!