Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Paint Turning Yellowish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Washed the car today quickly with water only, opened the doors to do the sill and OH MY! What a color difference. Car has mostly been garaged it entire life, when I go to the office it sits under a car port. I wash the car using only a soft brush and a bit of car wash soap (Meguirs). I have been to a brushless car wash only once last winter. There is always a color difference on plastic bumpers vs sheet metal however this is very pronounced and was not there when the car was new, plus this is the same piece and same material. Almost like time discolored exposed paint areas. I tried using compound on the discolored area which made no difference whatsoever. No there is no ppf in this area. Guess I need to bring this up with the Tesla service.

Can some others who have had there car a year or more check to see if there is the same issue going on? Just open any door and compare, same everywhere.

Click on the picture for a larger view.

Seems from this picture it's just a reflection of the light condition. The top part of the rear quarter panel is white like the inside of the door. This is a pearl paint, so there could be color difference depending on the light reflection. It seems like anywhere that's darker in the back ground is more "yellow". I bet if you tried looking at it in a different light condition, it'd be "ok".

Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr
I have a 1 year old white MY as well, and yes, after just looking I can tell a difference between the "interior" white and exterior. Though....the finishes also feel different....I wonder if both areas have a different finishing process, like more clear coat on the exterior white or something similar, even though it is the same piece of metal. (like, they added another layer of clear with the doors on or something, or they masked the interior when they sprayed the exterior...)

Seems from this picture it's just a reflection of the light condition. The top part of the rear quarter panel is white like the inside of the door. This is a pearl paint, so there could be color difference depending on the light reflection. It seems like anywhere that's darker in the back ground is more "yellow". I bet if you tried looking at it in a different light condition, it'd be "ok".
Any door on any side regardless of sun angle or shade side, the color is off so no not just lighting causing this. Only way it would be OK is if it is in my garage at night with the lights turned off. :cool:

Maybe this is why they offer free white when ordering? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Any door on any side regardless of sun angle or shade side, the color is off so no not just lighting causing this. Only way it would be OK is if it is in my garage at night with the lights turned off. :cool:

Maybe this is why they offer free white when ordering? :rolleyes:

If its consistent everywhere on the outside, that just makes me think more that its a different coating/finish on the exterior and that the interior white paint didn't have the last treatment.

Washed the car today quickly with water only, opened the doors to do the sill and OH MY! What a color difference. Car has mostly been garaged it entire life, when I go to the office it sits under a car port. I wash the car using only a soft brush and a bit of car wash soap (Meguirs). I have been to a brushless car wash only once last winter. There is always a color difference on plastic bumpers vs sheet metal however this is very pronounced and was not there when the car was new, plus this is the same piece and same material. Almost like time discolored exposed paint areas. I tried using compound on the discolored area which made no difference whatsoever. No there is no ppf in this area. Guess I need to bring this up with the Tesla service.

Can some others who have had there car a year or more check to see if there is the same issue going on? Just open any door and compare, same everywhere.

Click on the picture for a larger view.

My MY is similar. My car's exterior portions have a pearl metallic coat over the white that those areas not visible when the doors are closed do not. I thought this was simply how the car was manufactured.

my model 3 and model y seem to have pure white in non exposed areas.. under hood inside doors etc. Pearl is ONLY on the outside surfaces. In fact my parents have a new lincoln (pearl white) and they have white inside doors.. and pearl outside only.

Reactions: Deutsch100