Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

White residue on window trim at delivery

I can't believe I missed this during delivery but it was cloudy, cold and windy. There is noticeable white resiude on some of the window trim. The car is only 4 days old and has absolutely not been washed. I tried wiping it off with a Costco baby wipe and when the white is wet, it disappears and comes right back as soon as the water evaporates. Picture attached. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 61

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
The white residue appears to be either car wax or polishing compound. I would first try some Windex cleaner (contains ammonia which dissolves wax) applied on a clean cloth or a paper towel. If that does not remove the residue then try some Isopropyl alcohol applied on a clean cloth. If those don't work I would, as a last resort, use a cloth with a small amount of lighter fluid (a highly volatile solvent, dissolves oil, grease, waxes.)

My suggestion would be to schedule an appointment with Tesla and mention what you mentioned here and ask nicely if they can clean it up.

It looks like whoever was detailing it accidentally got wax on the trim. They should be able to remove it, and they should (hopefully) know how to do so without damaging the surface of the trim. I'd avoid using anything too aggressive on the trim for fear of discoloration or altering the surface in that area.

I had a similar issue with wax residue on the dark trim on my front bumper, they were able to remove it completely.

The white residue appears to be either car wax or polishing compound. I would first try some Windex cleaner (contains ammonia which dissolves wax) applied on a clean cloth or a paper towel. If that does not remove the residue then try some Isopropyl alcohol applied on a clean cloth. If those don't work I would, as a last resort, use a cloth with a small amount of lighter fluid (a highly volatile solvent, dissolves oil, grease, waxes.)
Thanks, I’ll try a small amount of windex tomorrow.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC