Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Seat Stained by Diono Carseat Protector Mats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT
Diono Two2Go Ultra Mat, Car Seat Protector
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07S3L9B96/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_MHrBFbM9P6M4T

I was worried about having car seats in the backseat of my Model 3 and staining/indenting the seats so I purchased these to protect them. Ironically, this is what they looked like after 3 weeks installed and only having a kid in the seats maybe 4 times for a total for 60 minutes of driving. No water, not left in the sun, no oil/lotion, whatever other excuse people want to throw out there. Please, constructive comments only. I'm not looking for sympathy or to listen to people tell me this is why they bought black seats. I just want others to avoid making the same mistake of using these protectors.

Image.jpeg

Image (1).jpeg

Yes I have tried cleaning them with various cleaners and suggestions on here, but stopped short of 91%+ alcohol before calling Diono for help. After several emails back and forth with photos and details - they finally responded today and said they have determined:

"Upon review by our Compliance team this has been found to be an issue with Tesla, not Diono, their seat material has know defects. Please reach out to Tesla for further assistance."

I expect I know what Tesla's response will be. Will update once I hear what Tesla says and if I end up finding a solution other than buying a new backseat.

I don’t usually recommend Magic Eraser but when I do, it’s to prevent someone from buying a whole new backseat

I agree with Uncertain Times. Normally you do not want to use Magic Eraser on seats, as they are abrasive and are likely to remove some of the protective coating on the seat, not just clean it. It's like using sandpaper on your seats. But that said, if nothing else works, using a Magic Eraser once is preferable to buying a new seat. Just don't use a Magic Eraser as an everyday, maintenance product.

Have you tried Opitmum's Power Clean ? I have found that Optimum's Power Clean can remove some stains that other cleaners don't touch. You can first use it at a 20:1 dilution ration. If that doesn't work, you can then try it at 10:1.

Please let us know if you find somthing that actually worked. Good luck!

I had a similar problem with a light-colored mat (Costco memory foam floor mat) turning my black seats white - I use the mat to protect the back seat from dog paws & hair... An easy wipedown with Simple Green restored them to black. I then put some 303 on them, and they have stayed black for a few weeks now.

Could be plasticizer migration, maybe that can transfer the color of the material as well? I would be concerned with any "non slip" surface interacting with these synthetic seats.

Not really Tesla's fault, although my guess is if the seats were leather or cloth then the seat protectors would have not left marks.

Strange, I have a Clek car seat in the passenger rear for the 27 months I’ve had my car (July 2018 build) and use this seat cover from Amazon which has left zero permanent black marks. If the seat cover does leave a mark I can wipe it off easily with a baby wipe. The only marks I have are indentations from the bottom of the seat cover which are very minor (second pic) and hopefully will go away over time.

Not sure if this a problem with the Tesla seats themselves or the Diono seat cover.

1B350566-02F5-4F78-AD0E-F6DB95390A5D.jpeg
100E137A-6DF0-4126-9F5A-5C4DF07D6DAD.jpeg
E1D89E7F-76F3-4D21-896B-73167763B93E.jpeg

Did this get fixed? I just removed my Diono mat to see I’ve got black dots all over the white seat.

Do you have those black dots only on the booster part (bottom) or also on the back part (vertical) ?

If it was only on the booster part, I think that putting a piece of material (like a soft cotton bed sheet or a towell)
between the Diono mat and the seat cover would prevent having any mark on the white seat cover.

Do you have those black dots only on the booster part (bottom) or also on the back part (vertical) ?

If it was only on the booster part, I think that putting a piece of material (like a soft cotton bed sheet or a towell)
between the Diono mat and the seat cover would prevent having any mark on the white seat cover.
Bottom only. It’s been on for 8 months. I think I’m screwed.