Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Seats and Jeans...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, so I ordered a Model S 75D with white seats and it’s coming Mid-March. I asked the dealership if I could do a 24 hour test drive and in that time the white seats have a bunch of blue dye on them from my jeans..I haven’t tried cleaning it yet since I’m not sure what product to use but this is worrying me since mine is the same color and I often wear jeans. Any advice/thoughts on this?

Reactions: AtAge19
Answer is simple. Get black seats or washable seat covers.

Winter-white-sheepskin-cushion-fur-one-piece-car-seat-pure-wool-piece-set-coincidentally.jpg

OP assume the jeans are fairly new? Many times when we go to wash newly purchased blue jeans they release a lot of blue dye in the wash water and even color things during the wash cycle if the material is light enough. White pocket liners typically get "dyed" a slight blue. I use Shout's Color Catcher in my wash with anything new and especially a vibrant (like red) or dark color (sometimes even black). But I think you can expect to have some color transfer if the material hasn't been washed a few times. Color Catcher does trap alot of the excess dye that would otherwise transfer elsewhere and you might want to think about using it on any new clothing wear purchases before wearing. We have black seats so not an issue for us...at least one that we can see.

Shout® Color Catcher®

They told me when I picked up my car (with white seats) to not wear "new" blue jeans. I got a new pair of jeans about two months later, so made sure I didn't wear them until they have been in the wash three times. I have worn them since and no issues. Apparently the blue is easy to clean off...hoping I don't have to find out.

OP assume the jeans are fairly new? Many times when we go to wash newly purchased blue jeans they release a lot of blue dye in the wash water and even color things during the wash cycle if the material is light enough. White pocket liners typically get "dyed" a slight blue. I use Shout's Color Catcher in my wash with anything new and especially a vibrant (like red) or dark color (sometimes even black). But I think you can expect to have some color transfer if the material hasn't been washed a few times. Color Catcher does trap alot of the excess dye that would otherwise transfer elsewhere and you might want to think about using it on any new clothing wear purchases before wearing. We have black seats so not an issue for us...at least one that we can see.

Shout® Color Catcher®
Thank you that's great advice. Yes, I haven't washed them yet. I will certainly try that, but Tessa informed me that even if it does happen a damp cloth usually gets all jean transfer off of the white seats.

They told me when I picked up my car (with white seats) to not wear "new" blue jeans. I got a new pair of jeans about two months later, so made sure I didn't wear them until they have been in the wash three times. I have worn them since and no issues. Apparently the blue is easy to clean off...hoping I don't have to find out.

Will wash them a few times before I take deliver. Good to know!

Will wash them a few times before I take deliver. Good to know!

I don't think it will help. I've never worn unwashed jeans in my vehicle, and I wear jeans less than half of the time I'm regularly driving (typically work commute). I had transfer on the sides and on the bottom of my driver seat within a few thousand miles. The dye transfer has progressed since I first noticed it.

For reference, I'm 5 foot 9 and around 190lbs. I have a muscular build with a healthy bodyfat percentage. The majority of men (in the United States) would have a larger girth around the waist/abdomen area, which is where the transfer is most prominent on the sides of the seats.

I took some pictures of the color transfer on the driver seat in my vehicle. I have 13k miles, during which I've worn jeans less than half of the time (probably in between 1/4 and 1/2 of those miles). All of the jeans were washed prior to wear. I wear other colored pants/shorts that aren't jeans.

These pictures show the lower back of the seat and the lower portion of the sides.

Seats1.jpg Seats2.jpg Seats3.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: chickensworth
I took some pictures of the color transfer on the driver seat in my vehicle. I have 13k miles, during which I've worn jeans less than half of the time (probably in between 1/4 and 1/2 of those miles). All of the jeans were washed prior to wear. I wear other colored pants/shorts that aren't jeans.

These pictures show the lower back of the seat and the lower portion of the sides.

View attachment 284844 View attachment 284846 View attachment 284847

Any luck on getting those stains out?

View attachment 284844 View attachment 284846 View attachment 284847

also want to know did you get the stains out and how

I haven't been able to remove the stains yet, or even make a dent in them (as far as I can tell). I tried dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and "Tub O Towels" (product name), none of which seemed to remove any of the transfer.

I'm having the same issue. Some blue/black faded transfer on the bolsters of the passenger seat. Looking for a product to get rid of it.

As per the owners manual. I always wear new jeans out of package without washing them... Because I love the new look. Wouldn't wear ones off the shelf though. Anyways back to the point. I have light brown seats and get allot of blue jean transfer onto them all the time. Just use water & warm cloth and rub. It gets off all the blue on my seats

Last edited: