Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Seats and Jeans...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried the warm cloth. No changes. When taking a closer look, it looks like micro dots.
IMG_20181230_132105-01.jpeg

Just try keep on rubbing hard. It will come off. that is unless theres something else on it now of course that's locked it in

Significant and sustained vigor made no difference in my case. I tried this when I first noticed the transfer increasing (after about 5k miles). The dye transfer remained and no visible dye was removed onto the various (white) cleaning towels I used.

Tesla mobile service says that the white stains on my seats looks like abrasion and not normal. I'm not a heavy guy and rarely use jeans. He told me to take it into service. Unfortunately the service center doesn't think it is defective and just tried to clean it the best they could. Sales convinced me at the time of purchase that the white seats are more durable. Seems to be a bunch of BS and not worth the extra cash. The car only has 6000 miles btw.

Love the look of the white seats, and almost jumped on it (with my pearl white Model S) but thought about the dye transfer from denim jeans and opted for the black interior instead. Have another car with ivory interior, and the dye does rub into the seats. Had a feeling it would have been the same with the white interior.

Couple points here:
  1. Don't use alcohol or other harsh chemical. Yes, it will remove the transfer better, but also strip the protective coatings on the seats. Use as an absolute last resort.
  2. The blue dye issue relates directly to the quality of the dye/fabric used in the jeans. My wife and I wear bluejeans most of the time. In a previous car with white seats, her side always had blue stains but my side never did. We both wash our jeans several times before wearing to try and remove as much dye as possible. The brand she choose, simply didn't hold on to the dye as well as mine, and always bled onto the white seats. Removing the stain from the stitching is always the hardest part, and the eventual solution is to invest in a different brand of jeans that doesn't bleed dye after a couple washes.

It is always best to try and clean with a water based leather cleaner and a brush as soon as you notice jeans stains gather. When dye transfer stains are left on the surface for longer, they penetrate the clear coat (on real leather) and/or the polyurethane coating (vinyl). These can then only be removed using a solvent based product that dissolves the clear coat or will simply have to be re-coloured. Check out How to remove dye transfer stains on leather | Colourlock Leather Repair for more info.

Wash blue jeans several times before wearing them on the white interior.
Another option is to get a white towel and sit on that when wearing new jeans.
Since blue jeans do cause a transfer of color you can buy prewashed jeans and still wash them some more.
My jeans are so old and faded that I do not have any issues with them staining my seats.
Take the time to wash them when new and run the wash cycle again and again.
If you have white seats go to your closet and get all your jeans and throw them in the washer NOW.
Another option is to buy your jeans from a used clothing store like Goodwill.

Hey, so I ordered a Model S 75D with white seats and it’s coming Mid-March. I asked the dealership if I could do a 24 hour test drive and in that time the white seats have a bunch of blue dye on them from my jeans..I haven’t tried cleaning it yet since I’m not sure what product to use but this is worrying me since mine is the same color and I often wear jeans. Any advice/thoughts on this?
This is known as "dye transfer". There are cleaning products specifically for dye transfer. One example