Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Seats Stain Very Easily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know people say its crazy to get white leather in a car, but I really wanted them and people have been saying the Tesla seats are easy to clean if you put in some effort. So I have been extremely careful. I don't wear jeans almost ever. I wipe down the seat with a baby wipe almost daily. All was well. Until today.

It was raining and I was in my hospital scrubs. The same scrubs that get washed with really harsh chemicals a million times a year. Well when I got out of the car it looked like someone had done something unspeakable to a smurf.

These same scrubs don't transfer any color to my white coat even when wet. It was a crazy day so I didn't have much time to clean right then and there. I tried wiping it down with the baby wipes in my trunk and maybe 20% came off.

Since coming home I have tried several things with limited success.

More baby wipes - did nothing
Slightly warm water and dish soap - nothing
Lexol leather cleaner - nothing
Leather cleaner/conditioner combo - nothing
70% Isopropyl alcohol - Maybe a 10% effect
99% Isopropyl alcohol straight on - 70% effect

It is not as bad as it was before and probably wont show in pictures, but there is definitely a dusky/dirty haze compared to the passenger seat. Sucks...

Here is the seat manufacturer guide for others who will come across this:
https://www.ultrafabricsinc.com/sites/default/files/environment/Disinfectants_3-2018.pdf

People warn that magic eraser is sandpaper and not to use it. I will see how much it bothers me going forward, but I might have to.

Long story short: white seats + any moisture + any color = seat will never look the same

Do we know, for sure, that the material used by Tesla is Ultraleather?

I like the document you provided, but can't validate that it applies to Tesla's interiors.

Also, please provide a picture of your seat--Tesla should know about this. You are far from the first person to get into a white Tesla interior with damp or wet scrubs, yet this is the first post on the subject?

My wife wears scrubs often; never had an issue over the past 3 years, and this is with a Tesla white interior. Perhaps Tesla has changed the supplier?

Something is odd with this situation; please advise Tesla and ask them to escalate this ASAP.

Thanks!

Reactions: Nakk
This makes me rethink the desire to have the white interior.... my wife always has dye from the jeans on her current cars...currently a 1 year old Audi grey interior and we see the jean dye already....

I may have to go back to black

I do think the scrubs have a big part of the blame. I have warn other colored dress pants and scrubs without issue. But the same wet scrubs did not stain my white coat even when I sat on the coat.

The point of my post was not to imply that literally everything will stain the seats. It was to say that the seats do in fact stain and when they do stain, it may not come off. They will particularly stain if there is any moisture and/or the garment has any dye/color or is new. This has relatively broad implications including right after the gym or when it rains. From doing research, this is not an isolated event. Others on the model 3 forums have had this too. It is a particular risk if the garment has moisture.

Stains that do not imbed (such as dirt) come off really easily with a baby wipe if cleaned right away.

I am going to get a "seat towel" that drapes over the chair for after the gym or when it rains. I will probably also get a leather ceramic coating kit. Otherwise I am going to just keep being careful. So far I don't totally regret getting white. The true test will be with girlfriends and their accessories/jeans/leather jackets etc

Reactions: mgraff
I am going to get a "seat towel" that drapes over the chair for after the gym or when it rains. I will probably also get a leather ceramic coating kit. Otherwise I am going to just keep being careful. So far I don't totally regret getting white. The true test will be with girlfriends and their accessories/jeans/leather jackets etc

I bought neoprene waterproof seat hoodies/covers from Amazon for our Model 3. Was getting new tires mounted on new wheels on a rainy day and just wanted the extra protection for the white seats.

I bought neoprene waterproof seat hoodies/covers from Amazon for our Model 3. Was getting new tires mounted on new wheels on a rainy day and just wanted the extra protection for the white seats.

I totally get why you’d do it, but doesn’t it defeat the purpose of getting those beautiful white seats if they are covered by neoprene seat covers?

My initial order was for the white seats. I changed it a few days later to black, realizing that I just won’t have the discipline or desire to constantly be cleaning those seats.

Reactions: mgraff
I wear jeans almost everyday. 8,300 miles and my white seats look brand new with no stains

Don't know what you guys are doing to get these unremovable stains

No problems here

And there is no leather in the seats. They are synthetic/polyurethane.

I ceramic coated my white seats. They still look like day 1 a year and a half later. Something to consider for those, like me, who much prefer the white look.

Not necessary

Reactions: preilly44

Just a warning if you chose to use seat covers. All Tesla models have seat-mounted side airbags. Using seat covers could restrict deployment of the air bags if a collision occurs. It can also reduce the accuracy of the occupant detection system. While having pristine seats is ideal, I just want you and your occupants to be safe in an event of an accident.

You can read up on the airbag locations and warnings on pages 43-46 of the Model Y owners manual.

Be safe!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: preilly44
Just a warning if you chose to use seat covers. All Tesla models have seat-mounted side airbags. Using seat covers could restrict deployment of the air bags if a collision occurs. It can also reduce the accuracy of the occupant detection system. While having pristine seats is ideal, I just want you and your occupants to be safe in an event of an accident.

Thanks for the warning. The seat hoodies I purchased from Amazon only cover the face of the seat, similar to placing a towel on a seat. The sides and the back are open and not covered.