Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White spec (dot) on msm Model Y during PPF Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took the delivery of 2023 MSM Model Y. I am getting full ppf and detailer communicated today that they see a tiny white spec on the paint. They said first they thought it was contamination under film but it’s actually a sanded down paint nib as its smooth to the touch. I asked why it was not visible earlier, and they suggested as they wash the car and all that in that process this type of defect can be visible. They mentioned I can bring this up to Tesla but trying to get something like this fixed might make things worse. Attaching photos with and without ppf.

It is really tiny so I might just ignore this. But wanted to get understanding if this something really Tesla issue or this could have been a mistake by detailer resulting in this issue. Any thoughts from the gurus/experts here.

Attachments

• CAC08976-5DBB-40DD-AC04-5D171D94F004.jpeg
    CAC08976-5DBB-40DD-AC04-5D171D94F004.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 302
  • DFF17BC8-3ADE-44E9-8740-3B8E455AF2DB.jpeg
    DFF17BC8-3ADE-44E9-8740-3B8E455AF2DB.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 236
They mentioned I can bring this up to Tesla but trying to get something like this fixed might make things worse. Attaching photos with and without ppf.
I don't like your shops comments. It's something that could have easily been taken care of whether it's on Tesla or not, that's what you're paying that shop to do, fix the paint ie. paint correction. That's their freaking JOB. Instead they just sent it by laying the film on, like wtf?

Upvote 0
I don't like your shops comments. It's something that could have easily been taken care of whether it's on Tesla or not, that's what you're paying that shop to do, fix the paint ie. paint correction. That's their freaking JOB. Instead they just sent it by laying the film on, like wtf?
I am not the expert and that’s why was trying to get some expert opinion or if others had similar experience. Most folks even on other threads seems to suggest that Tesla ll make it worse so just move on. Sucks for a new $80K car. But I guess you pay for the tech as most of the build quality feels so cheap. I remember my Camry back in 1992 had better build quality than Model Y :)

Upvote 0
I am not the expert and that’s why was trying to get some expert opinion or if others had similar experience. Most folks even on other threads seems to suggest that Tesla ll make it worse so just move on. Sucks for a new $80K car. But I guess you pay for the tech as most of the build quality feels so cheap. I remember my Camry back in 1992 had better build quality than Model Y :)
No, all new cars will have some level of paint defect. 99.9% of ppl don't look that closely and for whatever reason the drama of it gets pumped up cuz it's a tesla.

The issue isn't that you had a defect, and how would you know it's even on Tesla at this point. That shop should have fixed it when they found in the course of paint correction, or notified you at THAT TIME. They instead just threw the film on top, that is a FAIL. Also since they sanded it down, they created the white spot.

And if I'm still not getting my point across, fixing this with a lil touch up paint is dead simple. Then... then they can lay the film on top, but no they didn't do that or give you the option to think about doing that, they just phoned it in and sealed the issue in there. That is a FAIL.

Upvote 0
No, all new cars will have some level of paint defect. 99.9% of ppl don't look that closely and for whatever reason the drama of it gets pumped up cuz it's a tesla.

The issue isn't that you had a defect, and how would you know it's even on Tesla at this point. That shop should have fixed it when they found in the course of paint correction, or notified you at THAT TIME. They instead just threw the film on top, that is a FAIL. Also since they sanded it down, they created the white spot.

And if I'm still not getting my point across, fixing this with a lil touch up paint is dead simple. Then... then they can lay the film on top, but no they didn't do that or give you the option to think about doing that, they just phoned it in and sealed the issue in there. That is a FAIL.
They did tell me about the issue before putting ppf on it, but said trying to fix it might make it worse and ppf might highlight the issue after paint touch up 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
They did tell me about the issue before putting ppf on it, but said trying to fix it might make it worse and ppf might highlight the issue after paint touch up 🤷‍♂️
Sorry dude, they're full *sugar*. White specs, I got plenty of white specs and PPF, and you can't see it. But really that's a FAIL man, they are supposed to be pros and cannot handle a simple touch up, seriously????

Upvote 0