Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White vs Black Exterior Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to prefer grey, tan, or silver based colors for cars.
My current ride is white...basically the same old plain white you'd see on a work truck or van.
100% that is my preference.

I live in the South and surface temps are much cooler
it's ironically easier to keep "clean" looking.... or maybe more accurately it looks passable when dirty
It's cheaper to manufacture, so in theory it should be cheaper to buy.
I hadn't thought of watts-up's suggestion about visibility to others, but that's probably a good point too.

As a potential Tesla customer, I wish their base price color was work truck white instead of the fancy pearl

I really love the way a black car looks when cleaned and detailed to a high quality level, but 99% of the time not so much. It would have to be a HUGE discount for me to consider buying it black....but that just my personal choice.

Black is a beautiful color and looks great one minute after a car wash. But will look dirty just hours after washing it . several years into the ownership and hundreds of car washes you will have visible swirl marks on the paint clear coat. The color black is terrible in hot weather regions. White is my choice and will never own a black car. Good Luck on your choice.

Rust is WAY more noticeable on white cars.
The Model 3/Y is an hybrid combination of Aluminium and Steel. Aluminium don't rust but oxidize.

5dyii0y.png