Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White vs Black Exterior Paint

Hblick48

May 13, 2020
Folsom, CA
Just got my black on black MS in May. Love it, however forgot how hard it is to keep black car nice, and I've had black cars before. When I use the windshield washers I get water spots all over the car. Next one won't be black.

Reactions: Bobbo8

BLW2

Jul 20, 2020
Florida
I used to prefer grey, tan, or silver based colors for cars.
My current ride is white...basically the same old plain white you'd see on a work truck or van.
100% that is my preference.

I live in the South and surface temps are much cooler
it's ironically easier to keep "clean" looking.... or maybe more accurately it looks passable when dirty
It's cheaper to manufacture, so in theory it should be cheaper to buy.
I hadn't thought of watts-up's suggestion about visibility to others, but that's probably a good point too.

As a potential Tesla customer, I wish their base price color was work truck white instead of the fancy pearl

I really love the way a black car looks when cleaned and detailed to a high quality level, but 99% of the time not so much. It would have to be a HUGE discount for me to consider buying it black....but that just my personal choice.

Mayo

Aug 31, 2016
Corona CA
Black is a beautiful color and looks great one minute after a car wash. But will look dirty just hours after washing it . several years into the ownership and hundreds of car washes you will have visible swirl marks on the paint clear coat. The color black is terrible in hot weather regions. White is my choice and will never own a black car. Good Luck on your choice.

Threader

Apr 16, 2019
Montreal
If you live in the north where they use salt in winter. White is your friend but when it starts to rust white is not so much your friend.

ArtK

Jun 1, 2020
NYS
If you live in the north where they use salt in winter. White is your friend but when it starts to rust white is not so much your friend.
I am confused by your last point. Do you mean white cars are more rust-prone than other colors...or just that they look worse when it happens?

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
Rust is WAY more noticeable on white cars.
The Model 3/Y is an hybrid combination of Aluminium and Steel. Aluminium don't rust but oxidize.

5dyii0y.png

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC