TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

White vs Pearl White

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ColinA, Nov 15, 2015.

1. ColinA

ColinA Member

I've ordered mine in White... I just like white cars. I'm interested in opinions on the Pearl White vs the standard white. Is the difference really worth a few thousand $$ for the more expensive paint?

I'm still in my initial 7 days so can change it.

- - - Updated - - -

After posting this it highlighted a couple of earlier threads on the same topic, which I've now read. Starting to think maybe I should change to the Pearl White. Still interested in any more recent aussie opinions though!

2. lennier

lennier Member

Depends how much you like the metallic look I guess. The difference is noticeable up close but not from any significant distance. For me I preferred the plain white as it is a lot easier to repair and touch up successfully when those inevitable minor chips and scratches occur, and the pearl look wasn't sufficiently different for me to want to spend more as well. YMMV.

3. raynewman

raynewman Member

I got pearl white but am not sure I would do that again as it's normally too dirty to tell the difference.

4. ColinA

ColinA Member

Consensus (of two!) so far seems to be on plain white - it also does seem to look brighter in the pictures I've seen, although pictures and color swatches are very hard to go by.

5. raynewman

raynewman Member

There are plain white ones in this area and it may be possible to track them down to compare with mine or James' (Tesla).

6. omniwolf

omniwolf eNizl

I think you've hit the nail on the head - you can tell the difference when comparing the two, but you'll never do this in real life, so why bother?
    I would just get the cheaper one if it's purely an aethetic decision.

7. Wattup

Wattup Member

I got the pearl white and up close or in soft light it looks very nice, gives it a sense of luxury. Today it was parked in bright sunlight next to my non metallic Fuji white Discovery and from a distance there was no difference. Like Ray said if it is dirty then no difference.

8. baillies

baillies Member

9. raynewman

raynewman Member

The second white from the right is mine (pearl). I think (from memory) that the ones on either side where just white.

10. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

If you are going to do pearl, then I think you do need to have the car Opticoated. The deep shiny lustre of the product can only enhance the effect and, of course, make it much easier to wash.

11. ColinA

ColinA Member

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!

12. Mark E

Mark E Member

I'm very happy to have gone for the pearl white. In the right light it looks stunning. Seeing the two next to each other confirmed it for me. In really bright light you'd struggle to see it, but at other times chalk & cheese.

13. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

My wife's first MS was base white. A friend ended up getting the pearl. I made sure my wife had a chance to park the two side by side as we were replacing her car (accident) which opened the door for pearl. She (and I) preferred the base white.

Just remember what the say about opinions........
    The only one the really matters is yours :)

14. TasMc

TasMc Member

I agree with Wattup. It does impart a sense of luxury up close, and in softer light (like evening). From a distance, no visible difference at all.

15. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Welcome lolachampcar....glad to see a few posts from you in the AUD section of the forum....

-ECIT

16. Kayto

Kayto Member

Solid white and pearl white photographed side-by-side

Hi Colina,
    I pondered the same question before getting my solid white Model S. I'm very happy with my choice.
    I took photos of solid white and pearl white next to each other, at the Sydney meet up in February, posted here:
    The Colour of your Tesla

You'll love the car, no matter what colour!

17. paulp

paulp Member

Wouldn't get pearl / metallic unless you plan on opticoating - dborn is right with that comment. Opticoating brings a lot of depth to the metallic colours. Opticoat makes the car so much easier and faster to clean, and use a squirt of optimum 'no rinse wash and shine' mixed with a squirt of scholl concepts shampoo for a very rapid single wipe single waffle weave cloth dry. No wringing required. So fast! Have to give credit to my opticoater in adelaide for that formula.

18. marchino

marchino Member

I originally chose Pearl White, but even in the Tesla showroom, one of the employees confused it for plain white! It is far too subtle for me. Much more subtle than the pearlescent finishes on many other brands. I changed to Metallic Deep Blue.

19. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I'm happy with Pearl White as well. Yes I got a coating too (CQuartz).
    Looks white by day, but under moonlight or parking lot lights, it looks amazing, like a liquid metal car.

20. green1

green1 Active Member

The display car in Calgary is pearl white, I walked up to it the first time, took a close look, and immediately crossed pearl white off my list, it was too much like regular white to be worth the price difference, I had to be inches away from the paint to know it wasn't the standard white.