Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White/White Model 3 in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible/likely that they have the white interior but just not in significant enough quantities that they can offer it for mere mortals just yet. They also could be trying to determine how much to sell it for since they will make it another option at order time.

White interior costs exactly as black synthetic leather interior on the Model S/X, there is no reason for it to be different on the Model 3. Without PUP you will get black cloth seats, with PUP you will get synthetic leather in either black or white.

Reactions: alseTrick
I appreciate your hawkeye here @Thomas Edison but I am now inclined to think that @T34ME may be correct. Yes it's extremely poor lighting in the new pic we're all trying to make heads or tails of, but look at this pic from the alpha prototype. Seems to match the new car's dash almost exactly:

tesla-model-3-debut-interior.jpg

Good point, I forgot about the alpha having the white dash. The photo I pointed about above does look like aluminum to me but on that other angle it does look like plastic. My confidence level of aluminum is not as strong now. I guess a day photo can confirm.
View attachment 241356

I appreciate your hawkeye here @Thomas Edison but I am now inclined to think that @T34ME may be correct. Yes it's extremely poor lighting in the new pic we're all trying to make heads or tails of, but look at this pic from the alpha prototype. Seems to match the new car's dash almost exactly:

tesla-model-3-debut-interior.jpg

T34ME is most likely correct. Looking at the first picture I probably "wanted" it to be aluminum a little more than was clear in the photo (a little wishful thinking). But the other photo does make it more apparent.

I just don't think this is a production car. They are focused on just getting the 3 produced as fast as possible and this would only add complication. I know the white interiors we have seen had a white insert on the dash but I thought maybe we would see wood on a production model.

At the same time...if they made 30 cars, these are basically at hand speed. Moving a white versus a black set of interior panels/seats sounds pretty simple, right?

Reactions: tracksyde
This plate delay thing is interesting. In Massachusetts, you can't leave the lot without plates - we don't do temp tags. Dealers (and I assume Tesla stores) have a stock of plates, and do all the paperwork for you (that's why I don't have "EV" plates on my Leaf - dealer didn't have any, and I haven't bothered to go to the DMV in person to trade). My previous car purchases were New Mexico and Michigan, and I don't recall waiting for plates there either, but it was a long time ago.

At the same time...if they made 30 cars, these are basically at hand speed. Moving a white versus a black set of interior panels/seats sounds pretty simple, right?

This is correct. It's unlikely the new automation equipment is even up and running. The "production" cars we're seeing were almost definitely not built on the final assembly line.

They are just test fit of all the final parts.... basically they are Beta models that are being badged as production models.

I wonder if that is the white, or the cream... You should have stopped him to ask. ;)
I'm sure they are white. I think the glass is giving it slightly off-white color. I think white exterior with cream interior would not look good together and clash. The older tan would look fine, but I think the new cream is too close. But haven't seen the cream interior in pictures or person as of yet.

Reactions: Thierry
I'm sure they are white. I think the glass is giving it slightly off-white color. I think white exterior with cream interior would not look good together and clash. The older tan would look fine, but I think the new cream is too close. But haven't seen the cream interior in pictures or person as of yet.
Based on the FAQs on the Tesla's website it's white. They said that white interiors are coming in the fall.

Wow, not a fan of white cars but that white on white really has me thinking about changing my mind. I was thinking black with white interior before I saw these photos.

I know they said fall for release of the white interior but I'm surprised we are seeing it at this stage.

Last edited:
Wow, not a fan of white cars but that white on white really has me thinking about changing my mind. I was thinking black with white interior before I saw these photos.

I know they said fall for release of the white interior but I'm surprised we are seeing it at this stage.

There shouldn't be any surprise. Tesla doesn't make these seat components, they get them from one of several suppliers who specialize in this stuff.

It would be completely normal for the manufacturer to send Tesla x number of interior parts sets for final assembly test of fit and finish before volume production began.

It could also be that they just did one small production run for them because they had other commitments and they are scheduled to do a volume delivery later this summer.