Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WhiteStar announcement tomorrow with Governator @11:30PST!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's interesting - either it's got a less powerful motor and a smaller battery, or the performance might be quite "interesting". Or the journalist made it up...
That quote is from the Governor's press release which I linked above (post #15). Oddly the info doesn't appear anywhere on Tesla's website.

phpThumb.php
phpThumb.php
phpThumb.php
phpThumb.php

Last edited:
What might solve the range issue and at the same time let Tesla keep their initial announcement would be 2 different modes like the Karma has. In sport mode the Whitestar does the 0-60 in 6 secs and is very aggressive, but the range suffers. In long-range mode you do get the 225miles range but acceleration is limited and possibly top speed. That way you can offer both and satisfy both the hypermilers and racers. I at least would love a feature like that. It's same kind of thinking a laptop maker uses to get the best battery performance they can get.

Cobos

What might solve the range issue and at the same time let Tesla keep their initial announcement would be 2 different modes like the Karma has. In sport mode the Whitestar does the 0-60 in 6 secs and is very aggressive, but the range suffers. In long-range mode you do get the 225miles range but acceleration is limited and possibly top speed. That way you can offer both and satisfy both the hypermilers and racers. I at least would love a feature like that. It's same kind of thinking a laptop maker uses to get the best battery performance they can get.

Cobos

I think the Roadster already has driving modes like you describe. The Karma's two modes are very different, one uses the ICE, the other doesn't.
The range number, however, is dictated by the EPA driving cycle and doesn't have much to do with the "mode".

Last edited:
That's interesting - either it's got a less powerful motor and a smaller battery, or the performance might be quite "interesting". Or the journalist made it up...
EV motor power output has basically zero impact on efficiency.

The difference has to be in the battery side of the equation. It's gonna be bigger than the Roadster, so it'll need a bigger (at least in terms of capacity) battery than the Roadster has.

This suggests that a future Roadster model will have either longer range or less weight as the higher-capacity battery tech moves there.

-Ryan

EV motor power output has basically zero impact on efficiency.

The difference has to be in the battery side of the equation. It's gonna be bigger than the Roadster, so it'll need a bigger (at least in terms of capacity) battery than the Roadster has.

This suggests that a future Roadster model will have either longer range or less weight as the higher-capacity battery tech moves there.

-Ryan

But I remember quite clearly that the Roadster can go into a "half torque" mode that significantly increases the remaining range, so there is still probably some relation between power output and efficiency, though in general the efficiency of an EV shouldn't vary too much based on power.

Yes the Roadster has a 10% left of battery power limp-mode which might be similar to the Valet mode.

So as stopcrazypp says I assume there are some connection between how much power you can draw from the batteries and the range. Compared to the Roadster I'm sure they are using more powerfull individual cells than the Roadster does, they should be about 20% better for the same price... This might be all it takes if they can make the sedan pretty light, and with a low air resistance.

Cobos

It's a bit of semantics, but there is a difference between the power a motor is capable of delivering and the amount of power it is actually delivering at a given moment. I believe what Kardax meant was that putting a less powerful motor in the sedan won't necessarily improve the range. But certainly driving less aggressively (i.e. requesting less power) will. A limp mode simply limits how quickly you can accelerate and top speed. This is something you could also do with your right foot.
My point was that the range number is obtained by using a specific driving pattern, dictated by the EPA. This is independent of the kind of driving modes you are talking about, though there probably is an optimum regen profile.
This sort of technical discussion is probably more appropriately continued in this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/future-cars/785-technology-bev-whitestar.html

Last edited:
Is it just me or is "Model S" an extremely boring name? Not that it really matters but Whitestar sounds a lot better in my ears :)
I had this to say over at ABG:
"1. SFGate says it will be called "Model S". Many Tesla fans had figured it might be called the "Tesla Sedan". I guess neither are a real name, but Model S follows the no-risk alphabet soup common in recent years."
I have to say I don't really like Whitestar for anything more than a codename.

Anyone want to start a Whitestar naming discussion?
Yes, that thread already exists here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/future-cars/995-whitestar-name-ideas.html
As they say on larger forum sites, and will become more important as this site grows, "Search is your friend."

New Mexico is not happy.

ABQJOURNAL BIZ: Tesla Motors Plans To Stay in California

The “Governator” has prevailed at New Mexico's expense.
Tesla Motors, which planned to build an electric car factory in Albuquerque, will instead build it in California, where the company has been offered millions in incentives by a state eager to invest in energy alternatives.
Tesla's founders and key investors, including PayPal founder Elon Musk, joined Gov. Bill Richardson in February 2007 to announce plans for a $35 million plant here, which they said would employ up to 400 and begin production in fall 2009.
New Mexico had offered a smaller package of incentives, including about $7 million in capital outlay for infrastructure at a planned West Side plant, tax breaks and job training funds.
That announcement drew national attention, but the company's attention was soon diverted to last-minute fixes to its flagship $100,000 roadster, the first of which was finally delivered earlier this year.
In December, as it faced ongoing delays, the company unceremoniously ousted co-founder Martin Eberhard, who had made several visits to New Mexico on Tesla's behalf.
“This decision by Tesla is not surprising, given the recent instability of its management,” New Mexico Economic Development Secretary Fred Mondragón, said in a statement.
“Still, it's unfortunate that Tesla backed away from its commitment to the state.”

Toni Balzano, a spokeswoman for the New Mexico Economic Development Department, said Tesla informed Richardson's office of its decision before Monday's announcement.

Last edited:
Sounds like sour grapes to me ;-).

The biggest part of the deal is that California will actually buy the equipment and lease it back to Tesla, with Tesla having the option to buy it later. That, in many ways, is more important than the "9 million in incentives", as it means much less capital up front on the part of the company.

That, and you don't mess with the governator.

Sounds like sour grapes to me ;-).
Given the tone of that statement (in bold above), it most certainly is sour grapes. But you can also understand their disappointment. NM announced their agreement to great fanfare, and then they waited around for a long time and nothing happened.
At any rate, I'm happy to have Tesla local.

That, and you don't mess with the governator.
Sure enough.

Last edited:
The fact that this Whitestar announcement was completely toothless (except for the building in California part), is that a sign that the Roadster is delayed again? It seems they don't want to announce any major Whitestar information and allow someone to BUY a Whitestar until they've got the Roadster production up and running. Doesn't that imply that the Roadster production is still having problems or running late ?

In July they should have started on the Signature series and started ramping up to a few cars a week. Shouldn't this be something they celebrate instead of hide?

Cobos

Last edited:
Well although this represents minimal news for those of us who have followed Tesla for some time, it is a significant step up in terms of publicity.

In the same way that the original Wired article created an online sensation, the involvment of the Governator puts Tesla on many more people's radar.

You could argue that the impact of the Wired piece hindered such a small company as much as it helped. Yet employees such as Lisa Pavey were willing and able to diversify and give time to things like blog editing. Darryl took things further with implementing the Think, Feel, Touch and Hear channels.

The relaunch of the Whitestar program will cause different pressures but I'm sure there will be existing and new staff able to give it their full attention. In this regard, I do hope that Elon is able to step down from / sell SpaceX (this probably requires a successful launch:frown:). As product architect of Model S he needs to focus on the one game.

As things are shaping, not even 100 Roadsters will be delivered this year.

Tesla is making much much more loss by not delivering the cars at all than they would by replacing the drivetrain latter.

I hope they are at leaste fixing those water leaking and wind noise problems.