Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who’s waiting for EAP HW3 before buying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
current S owner and really want to add a 3 but don’t need one at this very moment. There are two things that I am waiting for before buying. 1. The new improved battery Elon spoke of and 2. The most important one to me is auto pilot hardware 3. Yes, I know they will swap it for the new computer BUT, I feel that having it installed and ship with the car instead of waiting for service centers to receive the new computers and then waiting for a service appointment to get it installed and the possibility of paying more to have it installed at a later date. So, I think it makes sense to just wait to have them ship as standard hardware.
I know the new hardware is being installed and tested now on employees cars so we are close.

If you pay for FSD now, you won't be paying anything extra to have it installed, even if the computer ends up costing 2x as much.

EAP gets no benefits from the new computer, so the only reason is if you're committed to buying FSD.

Waiting for Tesla to straighten out production is a good reason to wait - waiting for new computer feels like the wrong waiting game. Keep in mind, it would mean you would have to figure out a verified way to know that new computers are shipping in production cars. If HW3 became available in May 2019, and you order a new 3, you might still get a HW2 car. Unless Elon tweets something about cars ordered after X will get HW3. There is precedence for this, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Reactions: JPUConn
My friend (who recently bought Model 3) has that option in his profile on Tesla's website. He's got a LR version, wonder if that makes any difference.
Yes, it shows up for us for the cars on which we've ordered it. Currently, it doesn't offer any additional functionality but eventually, it should allow the car to get hardware upgrades and offer full self driving functionality.

As far as waiting, you bet. We got our M3 in Nov., no EAP or FSD, and we probably won't get those features or another Tesla until/unless they're fully functional, laws and roads are compatible, pricing is more reasonable, there's abundant competition to compare to, upgrades are plug-and-play, winter driving is improved, and service centers come to our metro (pop nearly 1 million). Meanwhile, we have a zippy, attractive EV which only I get to drive.

current S owner and really want to add a 3 but don’t need one at this very moment.
There are two things that I am waiting for before buying.

1. The new improved battery Elon spoke of and

2. The most important one to me is auto pilot hardware 3.

Yes, I know they will swap it for the new computer BUT,
I feel that having it installed and ship with the car instead of waiting for service centers
to receive the new computers and then waiting for a service appointment to get it installed
and the possibility of paying more to have it installed at a later date.

So, I think it makes sense to just wait to have them ship as standard hardware.

I know the new hardware is being installed and tested now on employees cars so we are close.

If you are not in hurry, I would wait at least until March (?) to know a little bit more about the Model Y.

If you have a Model S, I imagine that you might consider the Model Y who might have a more practical hatchback than the Model 3 sedan trunk.

So best will be waiting for the Model Y with AP3 and improved battery and I guess access to the new generation of Superchargers.

When this will happen is certainly unclear...

Last info given is HW is a computer with no changes to sensors.

FSD cost 3000 right now. Car is instantly 3500 more expensive tomorrow.

FSD ensures new computer and we have no idea how much FSD cost later as it matures.

Easy math in my opinion.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker