Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Agrees That The Model-Y Will Be a Hit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Black Large Wheels2.jpg

The Tesla Model Y is going to be a huge hit despite all the negativity I see.
Here's my take. I hope you agree with me. If not please tell me why... thanks!

1) A car's success is not entirely about how it LOOKS or if the reveal was pure Hollywood or not. Being a Beauty Queen does not necessarily make the car a success. Plain, clean simplicity are often better than outrageous gaudiness.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer. That's why I'm glad that Elon decided to keep the stores open.
3) It has ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300 mile range is by far unbeatable for a Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the Y is custom tailored to that market.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

Above is a PS’d Black Model Performance Y that’s lowered, with added tints, larger 21” wheels/tires, etc It’s a stealthy Hot Looking Crossover Hatch (when configured right) that can seat 7 with a 300 mile range and a 0-60 time of 3.5 sec... that’s awesome man! (Tap on pix to enlarge.)

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 7.13.46 PM.png

It's Built on a Model 3 Platform! So?
I Love The Similarity Detail. It's NOT Ugly by any means!

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 7.13.16 PM.png

Two years form now is still far away...

For the US market it would certainly be a bit hit.
However I hope that Tesla will also produce a smaller and more practical Model 2 hatchback.
The Model 3 and Model Y are still bigger than what most people living in cities need and are looking for.

EVs should target in priority cities to reduce pollution. The sooner EVs will replace ICEs, the better it would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
I'm sure it will be quite successful - practical, spacious, reasonably attractive but it misses what I need in an SUV. I would prefer a more square, traditional rear with a lift gate yielding more space for gear. I would also prefer an SUV that has some off-road capabilities. The Y is for all practical purposes a tall Model 3, kinda like the BMW 3 series Grand Turismo, which should not be confused with an SUV. I would have prefered a BMW X3, Audi Q5 or Land Rover Discovery Sport style and capability.

Yes, it will. No, it won't. Yes, it will. No it won't. No, it won't. Yes, it will. I'm a habitual liar. No, I am not a habitual liar. I'm lying about being a liar. ...just being silly.

Bottom line: It makes little or no difference what we say here about the Y being a hit. It will or it will not.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
I'd love a small wagon even more than a hatchback, but I'm in the minority, so I don't expect it to happen. Might switch to the Y when it comes out though.

I'm sure it will be quite successful - practical, spacious, reasonably attractive but it misses what I need in an SUV. I would prefer a more square, traditional rear with a lift gate yielding more space for gear. I would also prefer an SUV that has some off-road capabilities. The Y is for all practical purposes a tall Model 3, kinda like the BMW 3 series Grand Turismo, which should not be confused with an SUV. I would have prefered a BMW X3, Audi Q5 or Land Rover Discovery Sport style and capability.

Agreed, a small powerful Sport Wagon would be very nice! It could happen as Tesla is mindful of its popularity in Europe!

I may be mistaken, but didn’t Elon say the Y was always slated to be a Crossover, never a SUV? In fact, the X is not an SUV either. That said, they could use a true SUV... I’m sure Its on the drawing board..

Last edited:
Reactions: billh13850
I agree with the OP on that the Y will be a big hit. A lot of those sales will come at the expense of the the 3 however. There will also be a lot of sales to first time EV owners and that is what will push this one into the top 10 on the sales charts.

As soon as they offer an option for a receiver hitch for my bike rack I will order one. Until then I will just keep on driving the 3.

So far, the Model Y presentation was only a new Elon's fund raiser (or zero interest rate bond offering) for Tesla who is running out of cash...]

Every roll-out is a fund raiser of sorts, for any manufacturer... nothing new about that as one must do whatever it takes to keep the dream alive... but I started this thread to discuss the merits of the car, not to explore business motives, competitive vindictiveness nor the destructive politics that are obviously at play here ... although that is a topic that should be taken up, but not here. Musk is under tremendous pressure no doubt as there are forces that wish to see him fail on even a personal level... but no matter how hard they try to rip him down, they will never be able to rip away his place in the history of our planet as he has succeeded in doing what many have tried but failed, ridding the world’s dependance on fossil fuel powered vehicles.

I will support his vision to the end no matter what form that may take... hopefully a successful one!

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki and KJD
I agree with the OP on that the Y will be a big hit. A lot of those sales will come at the expense of the the 3 however. There will also be a lot of sales to first time EV owners and that is what will push this one into the top 10 on the sales charts. As soon as they offer an option for a receiver hitch for my bike rack I will order one. Until then I will just keep on driving the 3.

Agreed, the Y will fit a certain market segment much like the station wagon did back in the mid ‘50’s. But I disagree that the Y will cut deeply into the 3’s sales popularity. I see the Y expanding Tesla’s market share, not reducing it. ( BTW, I read that a receiver hitch will be offered.)
Thanks for commenting!

Last edited:
I've have a 3 since July 2018 and we've ordered a Y for the wife. After we take delivery on that, I hope I still like my car better, but who knows? I will have only had the 3 for two years by then and I plan on keeping it for 5 or 6, after which time I may decide to get another Y. Or the pickup!! But, I have zero plans to ever buy another ICE car.

Ditto! I may trade-in one of our 3’s for the P-Y, not sure yet.

Reactions: mazers
I'd love a small wagon even more than a hatchback, but I'm in the minority, so I don't expect it to happen. Might switch to the Y when it comes out though.

Here's a Model-S Sport Wagon. Maybe this European tuner will start making Model 3 Sport Wagons now that they are over there in big numbers? Let's hope that Elon may one day see the light for these as well.

OX01x3L.jpg

MuxhXvx.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. Sometimes, new and sexy (no pun intended) isn't always profitable. At this point, Tesla needs to limit NRE costs on the Y to keep pricing low, increase the addressable market, and deliver consistent profits. I'd much rather see them dedicate their engineering resources to the pick-up, which if successful will force the Big 3 into action on developing EVs or put them out of business if they don't.

Where are the black rims for the 20s?! I can plasti-dip them to complete the blacked-out look, but ya know...

I do like silver metallic myself on black cars, but that's just me. If I had a choice of black or dk grey metallic, they would need to have a polished rim. Here's a very quick PS'd job, but you get the idea! Looks nice, especially with the blacked out window and door trim! (BTW, the wheels on this rendering are estimated to be either 21" or 22" rims and it's dropped approx. 2" inches on coil overs)

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 3.37.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
The Y is what the 3 should have been.

Tesla is correcting that “mistake” with the Model Y. I use quotes because hindsight is always 20/20.

The Y has to come out fast enough, at an attractive price point while not slaughtering Model 3 sales for the next two years.

Those who don’t need a Model Y, the 3 is here now, is cheaper and has access to tax credits the Y won’t.

The best time is always now for your first Tesla. Y wait?

Reactions: Watts_Up