Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Agrees That The Model-Y Will Be a Hit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I posted this elsewhere but I thought it would help to see how much larger the Y is to a Model 3. So here are a few more overlapping samples of a Model Y vs a Model 3. I perfectly overlapped & matched up the diameter of the front 20" wheel on both cars, a Model PY and P3 from Tesla's online renderings. With all things being equal (which they probably aren't) it appears the Y is significantly larger in all dimensions, including the wheelbase as suspected. It is after all, a Crossover or CUV. The track width is harder to tell with this method but it too is probably larger. (To see better and differentiate the two, please click onto the pix to ENLARGE, thanks!)

#2.png

#1.png

View attachment 388276
The Tesla Model Y is going to be a huge hit despite all the negativity I see.
Here's my take. I hope you agree with me. If not please tell me why... thanks!

1) A car's success is not entirely about how it LOOKS or if the reveal was pure Hollywood or not. Being a Beauty Queen does not necessarily make the car a success. Plain, clean simplicity are often better than outrageous gaudiness.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer. That's why I'm glad that Elon decided to keep the stores open.
3) It has ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300 mile range is by far unbeatable for a Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the Y is custom tailored to that market.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

Above is a PS’d Black Model Performance Y that’s lowered, with added tints, larger 21” wheels/tires, etc It’s a stealthy Hot Looking Crossover Hatch (when configured right) that can seat 7 with a 300 mile range and a 0-60 time of 3.5 sec... that’s awesome man! (Tap on pix to enlarge.)

View attachment 388282
It's Built on a Model 3 Platform! So?
I Love The Similarity Detail. It's NOT Ugly by any means!

Reactions: RIP->OPEC
I really do like its looks. Especially in blue, not sure why but this is 100% I would like the MY in. I prefer the MX, but I don't think that it's needed or that I can justify it financially in my life when the time for a new car comes. Time will tell...

I really do like its looks. Especially in blue, not sure why but this is 100% I would like the MY in. I prefer the MX, but I don't think that it's needed or that I can justify it financially in my life when the time for a new car comes. Time will tell...

I was thinking the same thing. I love the Model X and its features (the falcon wing doors are so sexy) but it is way too large for my needs (married, no kids, one dog). I honestly think the Model Y is the perfect size as we are planning to have kids in the next 2-3 years. Plus the hatch makes it easy when i'm loading/unloading my bike :)

We're debating on reserving a Model Y, however hesitant to be an early adopter again before all the production issues are worked out. We had plenty of build quality issues with the M3P...

I would think most of these build quality issues would be worked out with Model 3 since Model Y is sharing 75% of the parts with them. Any lessons they learned in M3 will be applied to MY, if not, god help them!

I kind of have a dilema where I want to get Model 3 in the next few months, but would rather have a Y. Not going to buy a M3 and then trade it in 19 months later.. if I get the M3 now (SR+), I will get $5500 back in in state & federal taxes. Currently my trade in is worth about as much as I currently owe, so that's a wash.

If I wait for the Y, my current car will be paid off so I'll have a trade in, but I expect it to be in the $7-8k range. I will lose the federal tax credit and I will also have to pay $1500-$2000 per year in gas & maintenance, hopefully not more.

So it seems like the better option is to get the model 3 now, but I feel like I'll be a lot happier with the Model Y, so I'm torn.

I agree, looks like the better option for you is get the 3 now. You use sound logic. But stretch it a little. At very best timeline, 19 months will become 24+, as each previous model has not arrived exactly on the date we thought it would. And maybe you are not at the front of the Y line. Add 3+ months to that. Because of those two things, there's likely an extra year of gas and maintenance.

So it comes down to unlikely you would get the Y as soon as you are thinking meaning you do without the pleasure of an EV/Tesla/Model 3 while waiting. There's there's also for the first year+ every time you sit down in the Model 3 seat and press that go pedal, you will affirm you made the right choice. Come back. Let us know what you did.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I would be interested in $45000 Model Y with AWD and 250 mile range.
That's not an option. :(

So you want SR+ in a Model Y, but with AWD added, right? (and with AP standard, as seems to be Tesla's latest commercial terms)

So starting with US$39.5K for the SR+ Model 3 (in 2019 dollars), add in the extra cost for Model Y and again for AWD (using price difference between Model 3 LR RWD and LR AWD), it looks like you are in the general ballpark, but maybe aiming a little low.

And your range expectation for this combination is probably it bit high, more like 215, unless Tesla put in a bit of extra battery, which would increase the price again. However, battery costs will drop again by the time its available, so may not a big issue by 2021?

The good news is Elon said, in response to a Twitter question, he expects an AWD SR+ Model 3 at some time. And an AWD SR+ Model Y would make even more sense than a AWD SR+ Model 3. But no timescale was given.

I kind of have a dilema where I want to get Model 3 in the next few months, but would rather have a Y. Not going to buy a M3 and then trade it in 19 months later.. if I get the M3 now (SR+), I will get $5500 back in in state & federal taxes. Currently my trade in is worth about as much as I currently owe, so that's a wash.

If I wait for the Y, my current car will be paid off so I'll have a trade in, but I expect it to be in the $7-8k range. I will lose the federal tax credit and I will also have to pay $1500-$2000 per year in gas & maintenance, hopefully not more.

So it seems like the better option is to get the model 3 now, but I feel like I'll be a lot happier with the Model Y, so I'm torn.

Getting the Model 3 now means you don't have to be trying to get an early Model Y. Doubt if you'll see volume production on Model Y in less than 2 years. So get an SR+ Model 3 today and plan to trade it in in 30 months.

I agree, looks like the better option for you is get the 3 now. You use sound logic. But stretch it a little. At very best timeline, 19 months will become 24+, as each previous model has not arrived exactly on the date we thought it would. And maybe you are not at the front of the Y line. Add 3+ months to that. Because of those two things, there's likely an extra year of gas and maintenance.

So it comes down to unlikely you would get the Y as soon as you are thinking meaning you do without the pleasure of an EV/Tesla/Model 3 while waiting. There's there's also for the first year+ every time you sit down in the Model 3 seat and press that go pedal, you will affirm you made the right choice. Come back. Let us know what you did.

@tkline, I was reading subsequent posts others have made and I remembered that you were interested in the SR version. Tesla has always produced the premium/LR cars first. Why would the Y be any different? It would not, that pattern has worked successfully. So, this means even you may be near the top of the list with an early order/deposit its unlikely to move your SR version Y up the list for production. I revise my earlier estimate to almost three years out from now. Just my guess.