Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who bought their car in March with basic autopilot for $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot is not free for those of us who bought out cars before April 12. For me, Tesla is asking me to pay $3000 for basic autopilot, and I am asking them why isn't it $2000 based on the things I have read online. My story is a long one, but bottom line is I am trying to buy basic autopilot from Tesla, and I am willing to pay what I think is fair. They are saying that they want examples of people like me who were left out of the April 12 announcement since I took delivery on March 30. It gets complicated pretty fast, but I can tell more if you guys would like.

Mine was $3000 on March 31st 2019
full

I bought in March 2019 and can confirm the price for "Autopilot" on my purchase agreement at that time was $3,000.
While I see that @Ryefry is showing a Purchase Agreement price of $3,000 for “Autopilot”, wasn’t that what Tesla called “Enhanced Autopilot”, commonly referred to as EAP?

I bought my 3 in August 2018 and paid $3,00 for EAP. Then sometime in mid 2019 Tesla stopped offering EAP, all cars came standard with TACC and Autosteer and all other AP functions were moved to the FSD option at a much higher price.

So I don’t really understand the question posed by the OP. Not aware of any $2,000 Autopilot option.

Autopilot is not free for those of us who bought out cars before April 12. For me, Tesla is asking me to pay $3000 for basic autopilot, and I am asking them why isn't it $2000 based on the things I have read online.
You need to be more specific regarding the “things you read online”. Do you have a statement from Tesla in writing about the $2,000 option you are referring to?

Also, posting your Purchase Agreement (like what @Ryefry posted) would show us what you paid for and could clarify the situation.

@ecarfan - This is the inanity of Musk and Telsa you can't keep track of the changes.

The "Autopilot" version I purchased in March 2019 is the one with traffic aware cruise cruise and whatever the heck you call want to call "auto-steer within in your own lane". It won't change lanes automatically in any way shape or form.

While I see that @Ryefry is showing a Purchase Agreement price of $3,000 for “Autopilot”, wasn’t that what Tesla called “Enhanced Autopilot”, commonly referred to as EAP?

No.

EAP was $5000 pre-purchase and ceased being offered after Feb 2019.

W
I bought my 3 in August 2018 and paid $3,00 for EAP.

No, you didn't.

EAP was $5000.

FSD on top of that was another $3000.

(and both 1k more, each, after purchase)[/QUOTE]

I bought sr+ Feb 28 and didn't purchase the simple autopilot with tacc. Currently it's $4000 cdn, which I think is too much.....we were offered a special deal during a shortened demo back then, but I never saw the price before the demo ended.

I bought mine 1/18, eap was 5k but Tesla had a 1 week sale for fsd for 2k.
My brother passed on both eap when he got his 3/18. During that sale, he bought basic autopilot for 2000 plus tax. Could have added fsd for another 3k, but thought waste of money. I checked invoice, dated 6/10

@wdewing99 you had to have ordered your car before March 1, when Tesla announced price cuts on the car in response to the Fed tax credit being reduced, to take part in the half off feature sale that lasted thru maybe mid-March. New March orders already had their car price cut and AP was $3K then, $4K if you didn’t order it at time of purchase.

From Larry Magid’s Forbes article of March 4:

“Whether and how much these discounts benefit current owners depends on what they ordered and when they ordered it.

On March 1st, Tesla announced “All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.”
  • Tesla owners who hadn’t bought EAP can get basic Auto Pilot for $2,000 (it normally costs $4,000 after purchase) and FSD for an additional $3,000. In other words, for $5,000 they’re getting what would have cost $8,000 if they had ordered it when they purchased the car or $11,000 as an upgrade. So,someone who hadn’t ordered auto pilot or FSD and wants those features are getting what amounts to a $6,000 discount. Good deal for the folks who didn’t buy what Tesla was selling.
  • Anyone who bought Auto Pilot* ($5K on purchase or $7K afer purchase) will now be able to upgrade to FSD for $2,000 as opposed to the $5,000 previous upgrade price. These folks (myself among them) get a $3,000 discount over the orginal upgrade price. But even if I upgrade with the discount, I still wind up paying $1,790 for my car — including the upgrades and after taking advantage of the larger tax credit, then someone who orders the car today.”
*Larry meant to say Extended AutoPilot here, not AP.

Hope that refreshes some memories from back then. I was in the second group having ordered EAP back in 6/18 and took advantage of the $2K FSD. Tesla even extended the half off sale a few days past when it was originally suppose to end to give those of us who paid more for the base price of our Model 3 than those who were ordering starting in March a few days longer to take advantage of this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: focher and ZappCatt
The "Autopilot" version I purchased in March 2019 is the one with traffic aware cruise cruise and whatever the heck you call want to call "auto-steer within in your own lane". It won't change lanes automatically in any way shape or form.
It is actually called “Autosteer”. :D What you got on your car, TACC and Autosteer, were standard features, not options.

No. EAP was $5000 pre-purchase and ceased being offered after Feb 2019.
You are correct, I checked my Purchase Agreement document and I paid $5,000. I “mis-remembered”. :rolleyes:

For those of us who had ordered a TM3 before March but had not had the delivery (which is most of Europe) you could get AP for $2k or FSD for $5k. I bought mine with EAP and got FSD "for free". I think this was to prevent thousands of orders to be cancelled just to be re-ordered.
Also, this was only for those who had already ordered and not gotten delivery. I didn't catch this change, but if I did I would have immediately cancelled FSD and only gone for the AP version.

As others are outlining, Tesla changed how features were packaged between Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and Full Self-Driving; and they've changed the pricing of those features several times. This has led to a lot of confusion, not to mention complaints when people realized that they could have gotten a better deal on these packages under whatever the pricing offer of the day was.

I'm posting because I placed my order on March 14, 2019, and I took delivery of my car on March 30 -- the same delivery day as @wdewing999. At that time, Autopilot was fairly basic -- mostly just lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise control. Several features that had been part of Enhanced Autopilot a few months earlier had been moved into the FSD package by the time I bought my car. These include automated lane changes, Summon, and Autopark. Navigate on Autopilot was also part of FSD, but I don't recall if it was ever part of Enhanced Autopilot. I believe this feature split between Autopilot and FSD remains the same today, but Autopilot is now standard on everything except the off-menu SR.

My purchase agreement shows a price for Autopilot of $3,000 and of FSD of $5,000. My recollection is that Tesla offered these prices as valid at the time of purchase, and that each one (or at least FSD) would be $1,000 more if purchased later. Thus, the quoted $3,000 sounds right, if not better than advertised in March of 2019. I see that FSD is now $7,000. Although the basic Autopilot package is now standard, Tesla changed prices when they made it standard, resulting in an effective price increase of a bit less than the then-current Autopilot price.

All that said, I recall back in March that Tesla would occasionally offer free trials of Autopilot, with reduced pricing during the trial period, to entice existing owners to fork over more money. I haven't followed whether such free trials have continued. If they have, then @wdewing999 might consider waiting for the next one in the hope of getting Autopilot for less money.

• Informative
Reactions: Timbo2 and Sherlo